Compuware Building

Allan

I just realized tonight that nobody here has had a tour of Detroit's newest building, the Compuware Building. I have not been inside the building myself (except for the Borders store), so I'm posting these images from the Compuware site. But First here's a few facts about the building....

Compuware's world headquarters

[*]Encompasses 1.1 million square feet and 15 floors, including approximately 60,000 square feet of retail space.

[*]Is home to Michigan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

What have we done to the city? Almost all of the buildings in that photo have been demolished. The buildings over on Broadway still exist, but the others are all gone.

The new park is a huge improvement over that triangular concrete traffic island in that photo though.

The new park is a huge improvement over that triangular concrete traffic island in that photo though.

If you look at the original plans for the City of Detroit that were submitted to the US Govt in the early 1800's, Campus Martius was designed to look like it is today - a park in the middle of all the buildings. What we had prior to last year was a complete waste and rather ugly use of concrete. I have watched them build this park on a daily basis for the last 18 months, and I can tell you it is going to be beautiful. I will share my photos of the construction and final result soon. Grand opening is November 19th at 5pm!!!

Although its pretty bland on the outside, it looks pretty impressive from the inside. A college friend of mine works for Compuware, so I got the opportunity to see the inside this past summer.

From looking at that older pic, with Hudson's and Kern's in the photo, I have to admit, I wish those buildings were never torn down.

Anyway, I agree, that park will look pretty nice and will be a great asset for the city of Detroit.

I'm looking forward to the pics.  I marked down the time and date of the grand opening.  I should be able to make it...just as long as it isn't about 10 degrees and snowing out!  LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's 10 degrees out, that will make the ice rink near perfect. My concern is if it's 40 degrees or above. There will be professional skaters on the rink at the grand opening!

Now, about posting those pics...... (soon).

- BR

NEWS FLASH:

Compuware's headquarters project has been selected as one of 19 finalists for the ULI Award for Excellence. The winners will be announced in New York on November 4 at an "Oscars-like" ceremony. No word yet if drunken celebrities will be present or if a five second tape-delay will be required. Some of the other finalists include the Fullerton Square Project, Singapore, Roppongi Hills project (8 million square feet,) Tokyo, Japan, the Time Warner Center, New York, New York and the Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, California.

According to the ULI press release:

WASHINGTON (September 22, 2004) - Nineteen outstanding developments from around the world have been selected as finalists for the Urban Land Institute's (ULI) Awards for Excellence competition, widely recognized as the land use industry's most prestigious recognition program.

The competition, established in 1979, is based on ULI's guiding principle that the achievement of excellence in land use practice should be recognized and rewarded. ULI's Awards for Excellence recognize the full development process of a project, not just its architecture or design. The criteria for the awards include leadership, contribution to the community, innovations, public/private partnership, environmental protection and enhancement, response to societal needs, and financial success

Wow, there were really a lot of buildings on that site. When did Detroit start tearing them down? I know it was a long long time ago, nothing recent. That block sat empty for a few decades didn't it? Thank God Compuware built on it. I do like their building. Their parking structure could have used a bit more work, such as glass instead of metal grate over the openings (yes, you can completely enclose parking structures, and still remove exhaust). But it's nice that they have ground floor retail. I also heard that each of those ground floor spots has found a tenant, I'm not sure about that being fact though.

I hope you don't mind if I share a few photos...

comp01.jpg

The parking structure looks OK, a bit on the bland side, and of course, I am not in favor of parking structures, lots, etc of being built even at all. But, I really wish the second level could have been retail or small office space as well.

comp02.jpg

comp03.jpg

comp04.jpg

comp05.jpg

And of course, we have the familiar Hudson's site where we are proimised another 12-15 story building. I'm not sure when we'll see it, hopefully sometime soon.

I think that the Compuware building is a good addition to downtown Detroit. It shows that companies are willing to make a longterm investment in Detroit. However, I do agree with a lot of other people here in that Detroit should make more of an effort to preserve and renovate some of its older historic structures; they give the city a certain character which cannot really be replicated or replaced by a new development.

• 1 month later...

One problem I see is that with Compuware shrinking and shrinking, will there be anyone in that building eventually? I hope this doesn't end up being the case but the outlook on Compuware is not rosey. I hope it doesn't end up being vacated. Although I have to say, the building is cool so SOMEBODY would move in. :)

Joe

One problem I see is that with Compuware shrinking and shrinking, will there be anyone in that building eventually? I hope this doesn't end up being the case but the outlook on Compuware is not rosey. I hope it doesn't end up being vacated. Although I have to say, the building is cool so SOMEBODY would move in. :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joe,

The above is really way off base. Compuware has zero debt , and while they are not making the money they used to, they are performing far better than most of their competitors. Compuware is here to stay.

The recent reductions in staff (150 I think) were house cleaning reductions and not the result of necessary budget cutting. Even their press release indicated that.

Yes, the building is a gem! I couldn't agree with you any more.

- BR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CompuWare is a nice addition to downtown Detroit. Glad that I've had the chance to see it and go inside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry you didn't get a chance to contact me, Heckles. I would have been more than happy to give you a tour. Maybe next time...... Hope you enjoyed your visit.

- BR

Archived