North Town Mall

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, Walmart is convenient. And I do buy things there once in a while. But whenever I can, I buy items from other stores, especially locally owned stores. I would rather spend a few more dollars a day (when that money is going to stay in the local economy), than save a few dollars and feed corporate America any more than I have to.

I am not trying to preach. I just am an idealist I guess.

• 1 month later...

I wich I could be as happy as you guys but I think its pretty sad when all we have to offer visitors from the interstate is a Walmart Supercenter. By that I mean all we have at the two biggest interchanges off of I-44 is Walmart....one at Kansas and 44 and one at Glenstone and 44. It wouldn't be so bad if they would have put another store in with it like Khol's or TJ MAXX.

I would rather the North Towne Mall sit there for 3 more years and wait for something better.

Yeah I know how you feel, but its the same all over. Everywhere you go now there are national and regional chains. Almost every town in America looks the same. The only real distinction are the historic buildings or downtown areas. Think about every medium size town on an interstate: They have Walmart, McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Taco Bell, Waffle House, Shell, Citgo, Mobil, Conoco, Radio Shack, Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, Holiday Inn, Motel 6, Best Western, and maybe some local tourist attraction. I dont think with all of this corporatization it is easy for any commercial areas to look distinct.

It is a shame that their tearing it down. It is a true historic landmark. I remember seeing movies in the old theater. Went shopping in the mall a few times over the years. It's a real shame that Wally World decided to make it so the mall was not a good location for anyone. No Longterm leases. High Lease Rates. I can see why they all left. But it is a shame that another historic landmark is biting the dust.

I hate it when all the historic landmarks get torn down or renovated. Fox and Tower theaters got renovated. And what are they now, Fox is an office space and Tower is a Radio station. What is this town coming to when there is no more historic landmarks.

It is a shame that their tearing it down. It is a true historic landmark. I remember seeing movies in the old theater. Went shopping in the mall a few times over the years. It's a real shame that Wally World decided to make it so the mall was not a good location for anyone. No Longterm leases. High Lease Rates. I can see why they all left. But it is a shame that another historic landmark is biting the dust.

I hate it when all the historic landmarks get torn down or renovated. Fox and Tower theaters got renovated. And what are they now, Fox is an office space and Tower is a Radio station. What is this town coming to when there is no more historic landmarks.

I figure if they would put the money into actually renovating it. The lease rates were reasonable and they approached the right businesses it could see life again. Also if they would open the theater again. There is no theater now on the NE side of Springfield. Nearest ones are Town & Country and Springfield 8. Either way people on that side of town have to drive all the way across town to see a movie. Also if they got in some good stores it could make a go again. Think about it for a second if Borders or Barnes and Nobles had went into North Town Mall it would have made a huge impact on that side of town. You have one major store go in there and more will follow suit. Especially if the theater was reopened also.

I figure if they would put the money into actually renovating it. The lease rates were reasonable and they approached the right businesses it could see life again. Also if they would open the theater again. There is no theater now on the NE side of Springfield. Nearest ones are Town & Country and Springfield 8. Either way people on that side of town have to drive all the way across town to see a movie. Also if they got in some good stores it could make a go again. Think about it for a second if Borders or Barnes and Nobles had went into North Town Mall it would have made a huge impact on that side of town. You have one major store go in there and more will follow suit. Especially if the theater was reopened also.

It was over on Kansas Expressway.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6705

According to that page it is where I thought it was. Though as I read on down I notice someone saying that it was turned into a church. What a shame I remember seeing a lot of movies in there.

Reading on farther down it closed in Dec. of 2002

With North Town gone that means there is now no movie theater on the North side. Another reason to reopen North Town. A Movie theater on that side of town I am sure would see business especially if it stayed comperable in price with the ones on the south side.

It was over on Kansas Expressway.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6705

According to that page it is where I thought it was. Though as I read on down I notice someone saying that it was turned into a church. What a shame I remember seeing a lot of movies in there.

Reading on farther down it closed in Dec. of 2002

With North Town gone that means there is now no movie theater on the North side. Another reason to reopen North Town. A Movie theater on that side of town I am sure would see business especially if it stayed comperable in price with the ones on the south side.

Thats not really much of an excuse though. My grandmother, may she rest in peace, lived on Whiteside, a few blocks south of Bass Pro - Turn Left on the South side of Long John Silvers from Campbell.

Town and Country was one of the places we went to the movies. In fact we didn't start going to the theaters on the south side till all the ones on the North side started closing down - North Town, Fox, Tower.

I can remember I saw The Fox and the Hound at Fox theater down on the Square. It was a shame when they closed it.

Its' pretty freak'n stupid that North Springfield does not have one movie theater to go to when they used to have three! Someone is missing out on money here. It doesn't make a lot of sense when Springfield had 100,000 less people, there were more movie theaters to choose from than there is now and we have a popultion of 410,000 people. Sound right? I don't think so. Aside from those facts the norht side of town is starting to see more and more national tenants set up shop. I could even see maybe another Mall or shopping venture coming to say the I-44 and 65 area or I-44 Westbypass area. Which leads me to yet another question as to why Springfield only has one Mall. Alot of metros smaller than Sprignfield have two malls or two Shopping destinations within the city. I guess some could say Branson takes that title but we are big enough to support another shopping destination! When the North Towne Mall opened they had great business and then I don't know what happened. All I can say is that city planners aren't doing their job here. If they think that only the south side of towne will ever see any sort of upscale business then they need to be fired. Springfield needs to start finding ways to lure developers to other areas of the city for major developments.

Where do you get your numbers. Greene County as a whole may have a population of 400,000. But the 2000 census said Springfield was only 152,000.

Anyways you would have thought that everyone would have built along the I44 Corridor but they didn't everything started going south. Used to there was nothing south of Battlefield Mall and Ventures other then Ford, The Skating Rink, and a trailer park. Then all of a sudden it all started being developed out that way.

Maybe there trying to make it so that Springfield, Ozark, Nixa, and Branson don't exist. In their place is Megopolis Spranson. :lol:

Its' pretty freak'n stupid that North Springfield does not have one movie theater to go to when they used to have three! Someone is missing out on money here. It doesn't make a lot of sense when Springfield had 100,000 less people, there were more movie theaters to choose from than there is now and we have a popultion of 410,000 people. Sound right? I don't think so. Aside from those facts the norht side of town is starting to see more and more national tenants set up shop. I could even see maybe another Mall or shopping venture coming to say the I-44 and 65 area or I-44 Westbypass area. Which leads me to yet another question as to why Springfield only has one Mall. Alot of metros smaller than Sprignfield have two malls or two Shopping destinations within the city. I guess some could say Branson takes that title but we are big enough to support another shopping destination! When the North Towne Mall opened they had great business and then I don't know what happened. All I can say is that city planners aren't doing their job here. If they think that only the south side of towne will ever see any sort of upscale business then they need to be fired. Springfield needs to start finding ways to lure developers to other areas of the city for major developments.

Archived