IN PROGRESS: Blue Cross Headquarters

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, not necessarily, not by a long shot... In my opinion (especially having grown up in the NY Metro and lived in Manhattan for over 4 yrs) New York skyscraper architecture has been in a rut for a LONG time... It's sooo expensive to build there that design often takes a back seat. 90% of NY towers are featureless boxes. It's just the massing of them that makes the skyline interesting...

Compared to what's happening around the world, skyscraper architecture in NY (and in the US in general) is quite tame. I think Americans have kinda fallen out of love with them... Sad...

I agree wholeheartedly. More often than not, when I look at the skyline of a mid to large-sized American city, it's usually comprised largely of bland and uninspired structures. I think American skylines are, on average, the most boring ones. That's one of the things I've always loved about Providence, there's more of a consistant level of quality. It's a smaller city, but it's beautiful.

I agree wholeheartedly. More often then not, when I look at the skyline of a mid to large-sized American city, it's usually comprised largely of bland and uninspired structures. I think American skylines are, on average, the most boring ones. That's one of the things I've always loved about Providence, there's more of a consistant level of quality. It's a smaller city, but it's beautiful.

Personally, I think the parking garage and Textron are the only ugly structures in that picture. I suppose that's where our disconnect would be. And honestly, if Textron had a neat lighting-scheme, I think it would mirror One Financial Plaza in certain regards. It kinda goes along with a common architectural occurance that Providence seems to possess, pairs (like the Westins, Waterplaces, the two identical gray attrocities on Smith and Federal Hills, two alligned domes in the view from Smith Hill, etc. Would GTech and BCBS count, considering their styles and relative positions?). I guess I am also counting non-highrises in downtown's collection when I speak of it's visual value. Anyway, I suppose it's all subjective, really.

There are probably 3 (maybe 4) buildings on the skyline in Providence that are worth looking at everything else is crap. If you really look at the skyline most of it is comprised of uninspired boxes. 2 of the 3 can't be seen in this photo. Biltmore and State House.

providencepanorama.jpg

g&s is a lot more generous than I am. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. Even in the photo you chose, you have Superman, the Turk's Head, 50 KP, the county courthouse steeple, and the merecantile building in the foreground. You have a mix of styles that reflect colonial times as well as recent history. I really like the cube even though I know others don't and I love the canyon effect it helps create with the river.

Maybe you need more time to "really look at things"

Just to add another two cents to this discussion, what I find so unique and attractive about the Providence skyline is it's incredible variety of styles, along the lines of what brick posted. Taken individually few of the skyline buildings are masterpieces, but by the same token few are complete dogs either. Taken as a collection, what Providence has is a skyline made up of just one or two competent, textbook examples of virtually every American architectural style from the 18th century to the present. Most other cities are dominated by one or two styles.

As for Blue Cross blocking the skyline view from the State House, it certainly does block what was a beautiful view. However, that is to be expected from anything built on that site, and IMO the loss will be balanced by what the building will add to other views, such as from Prospect Park or from further north beyond the State House.

To continue on the skyline views from downtown, what other city has skyline views from the downtown area? Usually, skyline views are looking at downtown, from elsewhere. I think it'd be great if we can one day say that you have to be outside of the downtown area to see the whole skyline.

Not being a big architecture buff like many of you, I'd like to point out a simplistic point of view based on the recent conversation. It was mentioned (more than once) that the Providence skyline is attractive because of it's variety. The BCBS shield HQ building, while somewhat similar to GTech in style (modern/glassy), adds to the variety because of it's sleak curves. It also adds specific variety in the immediate area that is located - AMTRAK station, Citizens, H2Oplace, old AMEX, and the condos across from the train station (and maybe even the brick mall).

It reminds me of a box of assorted jellybeans - they have a variety of colors and tastes, but there is always your favorite and then the ones you hate.

It wasn't that long ago that the Providence skyline existed of only the buildings in the financial district. Now it has expanded to the Weston Hotel, and the buidings in Capital Center. Some day that will extend to the Jewelry district and to either side of Rt 95.

And there will be many opportunities to enhance what is here already. Hopefully with more good choices of architecture. Time will tell. But the funny thing with time is that even the ugly choices after awhile start to grow on you. Like the Rubics Cube, and H2O Condo's. or Vista Joe Torre.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow, I'm surprised that no one has posted anything here since November. I was out on my bike Saturday afternoon and took some photos of the progress at BCBS:

BCBS-Headquarters.jpg

BCBS.jpg

[Waterplace Towers with corner of BCBS]

WaterplaceTowers.jpg

and one from a less-obvious perspective:

PPMBCBS-FromWoonasquatucket.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I find it very interesting that the AI Headquarters building proposed for Hartford looks a lot like the BCBS building in Providence.

Mind you the design of AI is based on its surroundings and mirrors the buildings around it, but somehow that amalgamation also brings BCBS to mind

http://www.tectonpc.com/#/projects-advance...y_center/40/0//

AI%20Tech%20Center%20Entrance_opt.jpg

there is a picture from a better angle in the architects link.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived