IN PROGRESS: Blue Cross Headquarters

i'm not sure i agree on the materials used in modern architecture vs "classic" or "traditional" architecture being the issue. the train station may be crumbling, but i think that's less due to the "materials of modern architecture" than it is to lack of upkeep and developers just acting cheap. i don't expect many of the faux historic buildings to last as long and leave the same lasting impression as the true historic buildings because they weren't built the same way. the facade is fake. look at the way they built the westin. it's all steel with these faux brick panels. yet buildings like the turks head or federal reserve were actual bricks/blocks. one of the issues that i read led to the collapse of the world trade center was how it was built and how the construction of it was done more cheaply than other tall buildings built before it (empire state building for example). as we look to keep costs down, we end up with issues of the crumbling of the train station. the glass buildings need to be cleaned. plain and simple. however, i fear that gtech will end up an ugly grimy building because they'll never clean it.

but garris, you are absolutely correct. downtown providence doesn't have that big suburban office park feel that downtown stamford does, even with the modern buildings being built here. they're urban buildings with a different look, but they do interact well on the ground level.

while i'm not overly crazy about the location of the parking garage at gtech (or the fact that a place that charges what they do for dinner doesn't just pay the garage fee when you valet your car), the rest of the building has great interaction with the street. the corner with the big globe, the fidelity spot, and best of all, the back of the building by waterplace park. even the empty sections work well with the sidewalk, they just suffer from the building being built into a hillside.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The John Hancock Tower in Boston was opened in 1976, 31 years ago. And I think it has aged pretty well. Engineering issues aside (foundation, falling glass, etc) it still looks sleek.

There are other examples of "modern" architecture built in the 70's that still look good.

Its the current crop of buildings built in the past ten years or so that I worry about. Quality materials are either prohibitively expensive or just do not exist. Try to rebuild one of those classic buildings that we love today. You cant do it.

Not only are the materials hard to obtain, the labor skill to build it has evaporated. Everything that does not come numbered, pre-fabbed, or sprayed on is "custom" work now. And the people that can do it are very rare.

Thats our reality. And so while Brussat pisses and moans about classical vs modern, his arguments are moot. Even if a developer wanted to build a building that would make Brussat wet himself with joy, it just would never happen.

- There must be something elemental about how all humans view things sensory (be it hearing, touch, or sight). There are certain patterns that innately feel "correct" and "attractive." Thus, "classical" architecture, as well as "classical" music, clothing design, and personal beauty.

-

- We also crave things that are new and different, but after the allure of the newness wears off, we're left wanting for its appearance. Thus, "faddish" architecture, as with clothing fads, music fads, and other fads. That, "wow, I can't believe I liked that 10 years ago" feeling we've all had... (at least those of us old enough to have had such feelings)

- Garris

I think this is an interesting observation, in that it so perfectly illustrates one of the basic principles of what makes cities work. Cities, in order to survive, need to be constantly rethought and rebulit. Faddish architecture may tend to dull and become obsolete much quicker than "classical" or "historic" architecture, but it still serves its purpose in that it keeps a certain amount of the city's real estate free for development at all times. It allows us to support our own economy by setting aside a certain percentage of the city's building stock that can be replenished as we see fit, without too much of a hassle or too much of a fight amongst ourselves. Consequently, it also streamlines preservation efforts on some level, because with land occupied by "outdated" or "unimportant" buildings available for redevelopment, it takes pressure off the need (in theory) to sacrifice the architecture that's withstood the test of time simply in the name of economic progress.

Of course, that leaves the possibility of all those grand buildings falling down for lack of upkeep, but I suppose that's another discussion. I say bring on the fads, they're better than parking lots or teardowns.

Faddish architecture.... still serves its purpose in that it keeps a certain amount of the city's real estate free for development at all times. It allows us to support our own economy by setting aside a certain percentage of the city's building stock that can be replenished as we see fit, without too much of a hassle or too much of a fight amongst ourselves.

Absolutely true, and I agree 100% with this (thus my dislike for "theme park" municipalities). One caveat to this idea, though, that I do agree with David Brussat about is that, despite overlying fads, there was a basic assumption of what defined "urban" (in terms of layout, planning, storefronts, etc) that stood for literally hundreds of years that has basically been blown up in the US by the automotive age. Without having established a new, desirable, successful American definition of "urban," the impact of faddish architecture on a city can become more destructive to the fabric of a place then was true before...

- Garris

Some, like me, might argue that some of those "outdated" and "unimportant" buildings would include the Old Public Safely Building and the Forgarty Building, but, amazingly to me, some preservationists seem to disagree...

- Garris

• 1 month later...

PROJO: "Blue Cross announces layoffs, cuts in programs"

http://www.projo.com/business/content/bz_b...34.294d757.html

"And Blue Cross is moving forward with its plan to build a $114-million, 13-story, 325,000-square-foot building in the Capital Center district, near Waterplace Park, to consolidate its operations under one roof. The building will be on the corner of Finance Way and Exchange Street, atop a parking garage under construction to serve two residential towers being built by Boston-based Intercontinental Real Estate Corp.

The office tower

I think it's quite disturbing that they are getting tax credits to build on this site and there will be a net loss of jobs. I almost choked when I read that article. The purpose of tax credits should be to stimulate the economy or job growth. Right? It shouldn't be so Blue Cross can improve their bottom line and "consolidate" into a shiny tower. If that is their primary goal, they should pay for it themselves. Even if the credits are somehow grandfathered in, if there was some sense of strong leadership in RI or the taxpayers had any clue to the state of financial affairs, there would be a revolt. It is time that someone stepped in and led a revolt against the way the state doles out $$. There needs to be a total overhaul and detoxification from everything to pensions, tax credits, and up to contracts and government waste. This is an absolute outrage.

This particular case is another example of the state caving in to the demands of a corporation that plays on the fact that RI is not business friendly and is desperate for any type of "economic growth." This revolving cyclone can also be said for the unions that control the state. I'm glad that some people are starting to recognize this (Projo pieces recently..Cicilline vs. firefighters) but wonder what it will take for the masses in RI to realize that the state is being run into the ground. Bankruptcy? While I would love to see a corporation move to this site in a tasteful building, I would rather see it vacant than have BCBS built on this site knowing that my family will be paying for it in the long run. :angry:

first, not to defend the job cuts, but blue cross is a non-profit corporation. they don't have a bottom line to improve by cutting jobs.

second, the question still remains whether or not these jobs would have been cut anyways (perhaps they were just really no longer needed).

consolidating their employees into one building will cut costs in the long run (one building to maintain, stuff only needs to move between floors rather than around downtown) and they are getting tax breaks to build the building, cutting costs of the new building even more. this raises a second question as to whether or not a location exists where they can move all their employees to one building or if there really is no other choice but to build new.

i'm all for the new building to help the skyline and open smaller spaces (which i think are what will help providence rather than larger vacant spaces as we generally see a lot more smaller companies than any larger companies looking to move here). i have a feeling that the job cuts would have happened regardless of whether or not they were going to build a new building.

I'm with Jim on this one. I'm not convinced that these weren't jobs that wouldn't be cut anyway. And even if they're cut for the time being, that's to say nothing of whether or not there will be more jobs created in the future, either by Blue Cross, by new companies coming to town, or by the existing ones growing.

As for the skyline argument, I'm a tad less sold on that one, but I suppose better in this space than nowhere.

i get the feeling that the layoffs would have happened regardless of the plans to build a new building, as the consolidation will further cut costs for them.

all i know is that my work recently switched to BCBS from united health and i get better coverage for a better price.

what's the likelihood that the city would be able to lure another business that would want a building of that size? while i agree that it would be better, if it's not likely to happen, then i don't have a problem with blue cross moving there and the city luring smaller businesses into the former blue cross sites, which probably has a better chance of happening.

what's the likelihood that the city would be able to lure another business that would want a building of that size? while i agree that it would be better, if it's not likely to happen, then i don't have a problem with blue cross moving there and the city luring smaller businesses into the former blue cross sites, which probably has a better chance of happening.

Archived