Downtown Detroit Development

TheDetroitCity99

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't a market study just suggest that the CBD alone has demand for more than 1700 units of housing? Even with all of the new projects,

there should still be adequate demand unless that study was exaggerated. Or perhaps the market needs to accelerate its switch to rental, thus appealing to a lot more people

Torture?! The reason I am not very specific in a lot of my info is because I get my info from a handful of inside sources whose jobs could be on the line if certain info gets leaked. One friend nearly lost his job by leaking info onto internet forums. A lot of the inner workings of these developments are very sensitive. Often times, the info that gets leaked can be just enough to nix a deal at the very last minute.

There's some good stuff in the works though...several building renovations, and one new building, and some smaller things. I think a lot of you will be pleasantly surprised when the official announcements come along. :)

Didn't a market study just suggest that the CBD alone has demand for more than 1700 units of housing? Even with all of the new projects,

there should still be adequate demand unless that study was exaggerated. Or perhaps the market needs to accelerate its switch to rental, thus appealing to a lot more people

No, the CBD only includes the areas within the freeway loop, with the exception of the Riverfront Towers and RenCen which are also included.

BTW, finally was able to find out why not any of my contacts could nail down what the Hudson Block garage can support. It turns out the garage was retrofitted for a specific project that would have included three different structures of varying heights.

Actually, Michi said he saw this original proposal by the city which included different massings on the site. Where are you, Eric?

Gentrification in Detroit hasn't even begun in any significant, measurably way, yet, so it's not much of a worry. It would be great if they'd have the foresight to truly concentrate on 'mixed-use' to possibly head off the negative effects of gentrification when it comes by also demanding some projects include affordable apartment units. But, I guess when things start getting real desirable in a huge way they'll begin to think about it. That's what's happened in Chicago, anyway, in that they have things in their masterplan that automatically trigger affordable and senior housing on certian plots to keep the downtown affordable to a degree.

Thats not going to happen. City council has been pushing for low income and market rate housing in the downtown area for a while now. The DEGC and mayors' office will not let it happen. Their goal is to transform/convert whatever is low income or market rate into high income and luxury. Expect more people to be put out of their homes in the near future. It's good and a bad thing.

So what are you basing this off? Do you know anyone who works there that's said that? And which occupied apartment buildings have been converted into luxury apartments? So far, off the top of my head, all of the new condos are either abandoned buildings, or new construction, except for 1001 Woodward. This might be a problem in the future, but right now, I don't think it is.

Skulker should register here.

The Park Shelton were low income apartments. It was very heated in the council session when they were asked to vote for tax incentives to this building, arguing that all the residents have been displaced and have no where left to go. And that developers are asking them to give tax incentives to wealthy people that don't need them. Sad, isn't it.

The Park Shelton were low income apartments. It was very heated in the council session when they were asked to vote for tax incentives to this building, arguing that all the residents have been displaced and have no where left to go. And that developers are asking them to give tax incentives to wealthy people that don't need them. Sad, isn't it.

What percentage of downtown workers are low income? Maybe this sounds insensitive, but perhaps it makes more sense to have people living closer to where they work, which, if my hypothesis is correct, means fewer low income people living near downtown.

I don't necessarily think gentrification is an always terrible thing. Look at successful Euopean cities where central cities are almost completely dominated by high income citizens. I think we can do better by finding a nice blend, but I agree with above statements especially that say I don't think we should be worrying about this at this point.

gentrification is not a bad thing at all, especially in Detroit. Let's get the middle class in, then we can talk about keeping/returning the low income. Unfortunatly, it has to be that way for us to turn the city around. Once downtown is fully developed and tens of thousands call it home, there will be much more focus on low-income housing. And as Lmich said, it will be demanded in certain areas.

I'm not saying the apartments have to be Section 8 or HUD housing. I'm more referring to giving the "creative class" a place to live by creating smaller apartments without marble countertops or hardwood floors. The people who work in the coffee shops and restaurants downtown need a place to live too.

I'm not saying the apartments have to be Section 8 or HUD housing. I'm more referring to giving the "creative class" a place to live by creating smaller apartments without marble countertops or hardwood floors. The people who work in the coffee shops and restaurants downtown need a place to live too.

Archived