Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sammy00

My First Post

6 posts in this topic

What's up guys?

First of all I'd like to say, I'M SO HAPPY I FOUND YOU !!!

I'm currently a student at the UofA majoring in Communications, and a former resident of Benton, Arkansas.

I have always possessed a strange "super interest" in the type of things this board discusses (regional growth, populations, reputations, big cities, skylines, you name it), but only now have I found a place to discuss these things and learn more about them. Thanks !

---

Well, I have read a few posts on this site concerning the traffic in NWA and what should be done, and I have noticed that not all, but many believe in the expansion of I-540.

This for me raises a few concerns (which are hopefully not ignorant due to my lack of experience here).

First of all, I believe the expansion of 540 would be great for NWA, however, I am not sure it is the best way to go at this point in time.

I, for one, favor the idea of the new highway west of Fayetteville for a few reasons.

My first concern is that adding a few more lanes to 540 will increase traffic in what are already horrendously crowded intersections and on ramps in the three other cities (i.e. Sixth St onto 540 in Fayetteville, and Wedington onto 540 in Fayetteville).

I see traffic in those areas being almost as big an issue as the 540 traffic, and building a new highway West of the city would help alleviate some of that.

Also, and probably my biggest concern, is that I witnessed first hand the absolute chaos Central Arkansas was in when construction on I-30 was ongoing. It, of course, is paying dividends now, but during the time of construction, we couldn't even get any relatives to our house because they didn't want to have to put up with the mess. It was a long, and grueling process, which made traffic worse and more dangerous for a good year and a half.

Such construction (albeit worth it in the long run) would be a MAJOR, MAJOR headache to commuters for a 1-2 year period.

Overall, I feel that a new highway should go ahead and be constructed for these reasons, and simply because it has to be done sooner or later. If a new route is constructed first, then it will help the later construction on 540 run much smoother, while temporarily upping traffic on the new route.

I'm sorry if these points are completely out of left field, or have already been widely discussed, or are just down right dumb. I don't get too much out of the newspapers I receieve on the weekends (that's why I'm so happy I found this place).

I will hopefully grow wiser the more I read.

I will probably be around for a while.

The highway department has recommended expanding to six lanes or eight lanes on various parts of 540 between Fayetteville and Bella Vista. While expanding to six lanes is feasible and very necessary, going to eight will be darn near impossible. The costs increase exponentially going from six to eight because overpasses have to be reconstructed, more right of way is needed, etc. The only cost-feasible way to alleviate traffic on 540 is to build a Western Bypass. Eventually, I-49 will be complete and if you think we have traffic problems now, imagine what a new N-S interstate would do if it incorporated 540 to its path.

The biggest problem with 540 is that Rogers turned it into its main street. By definition, a bypass isn't designed to accomodate all the local traffic Rogers development has caused by building everything right there on 540 and on top of that mismanaging the traffic signals so badly for so long the ramps back up into the mainline with dangerous frequency. Development would probably eventually happen to the Western Bypass, too, but the lesser population density in that area would at least keep it to a minimum.

The biggest problem with 540 is that Rogers turned it into its main street. By definition, a bypass isn't designed to accomodate all the local traffic Rogers development has caused by building everything right there on 540 and on top of that mismanaging the traffic signals so badly for so long the ramps back up into the mainline with dangerous frequency. Development would probably eventually happen to the Western Bypass, too, but the lesser population density in that area would at least keep it to a minimum.

The highway department has recommended expanding to six lanes or eight lanes on various parts of 540 between Fayetteville and Bella Vista. While expanding to six lanes is feasible and very necessary, going to eight will be darn near impossible. The costs increase exponentially going from six to eight because overpasses have to be reconstructed, more right of way is needed, etc. The only cost-feasible way to alleviate traffic on 540 is to build a Western Bypass. Eventually, I-49 will be complete and if you think we have traffic problems now, imagine what a new N-S interstate would do if it incorporated 540 to its path.

While I typically don't allow these kinds of threads, I'll keep b/c of the compliments. :thumbsup:

Looks like some new people have found us during my hiatus. You bring up some good points Sammy. But I'm still concerned having a western bypass will only help fuel even more sprawl. But we may never develop the density I'd like to see to really get public transportation going.