NBA Talk

dgreco

I like how Celtics Coach Doc Rivers man's up and admits the Lakers were more agressive and deserved to go to the free-throw line more; where as Laker Coach Phil Jackson whines and complains instead.

The Lakers back' was against the wall last night and knew they had to win. The different 2-3-2 format definetly makes things interesting. Hopefully the Celtics can win at least one in L.A.

Lots of inspirational stories in this series with Leon Powe's past growing up in foster homes keeping his brothers & sisters together; and Rony Turiaf's open-heart surgery a few years back.

Edited by richyb83

I like how Celtics Coach Doc Rivers man's up and admits the Lakers were more agressive and deserved to go to the free-throw line more; where as Laker Coach Phil Jackson whines and complains instead.

The Lakers back' was against the wall last night and knew they had to win. The different 2-3-2 format definetly makes things interesting. Hopefully the Celtics can win at least one in L.A.

Lots of inspirational stories in this series with Leon Powe's past growing up in foster homes keeping his brothers & sisters together; and Rony Turiaf's open-heart surgery a few years back.

PP going home gets a of press, but the Powe story was great and he had a great game the other night. The Turiaf story is even better, a great player out of Gonzaga that had to shy away because of his heart problems and is now playing in the NBA finals.

The series bring excitement back to the NBA, and even with all the drama of refs calls, cheating, gambling etc... the focus is on the series. David Stern is a lucky commissioner.

Bench play should continue to be key too. Powe has a monster-career Game 2; Vujacic hits for 20 in Game 3.

Pierce and KG combined just 8 for 33 from the field in Game 3; I expect them both to pick it back up; Gasol and Odom had better step it up.

Crazy to see the NBA's Best Series continue after a 21 year break. The 80's match-up's were epic!

WOW what a comeback for the ages! I was embarrassed for the Celtics at first, being down 45-21 in the 2nd qtr. That's some of the best defense I've ever seen. Pierce held Kobe in check. Ray Allen has been the MVP so far IMO.

Again the bench help decide the game; this time it was Posey and House playing lights-out! The Celtics in the driver's seat up 3-1!

WOW what a comeback for the ages! I was embarrassed for the Celtics at first, being down 45-21 in the 2nd qtr. That's some of the best defense I've ever seen. Pierce held Kobe in check. Ray Allen has been the MVP so far IMO.

Again the bench help decide the game; this time it was Posey and House playing lights-out! The Celtics in the driver's seat up 3-1!

Such a great game, it was a game that was hard to watch in the first half and before it was over it was a great game. I want them to wrap it up, but I really hope they win it at home in the garden. I also think Kobe will go off for about 40 if he has too to make it 3-2.

A great finals so far. LA came back from 24 down, but couldnt make it over the hump and 2 games later the Celtics come back from 24 down, but make it over the hump.

I watched most of the first half but shut it off because I couldn't take the officiating anymore. The officials seemed determined to take the game away from the Celtics. Glad to see they won. They deserved it.

They played a great game and it was a great road win.

Can the Celtics close out the series tonight back in Boston?? Winning one in L.A. was BIG!

The Celtics dug themselves in a 19 point hole in the 1st half of Game 5 and still managed and comeback to take the lead briefly in the 4th qtr. The Lakers wouldn't go down w/o a fight hanging on 103-98; making it 3-2.

And the Celtics have now won their 17th NBA championship with a 131-92 rout of the Lakers.

unbelievable win and a great season for the celtics.

I think they are pretty much favorites for the east next year, and like they have been saying on every radio station if they get a backup point guard they should no doubt be the best team in the NBA.

Very impressive! A brutal beatdown in Bean-town! It's been a long time since I have seen Defense played like that! KG(26 pts./14 reb.) wasn't to be denied after the Game 5 performance! Happy for Pierce(38 pts. Game #5) and Allen(26 pts.) too. Each of the Big Three stepped it up when they had to. Rondo played his best game! 21 pts. 7 reb. 6 steals!! Even "Big Baby" Glen Davis had a monster-slam in the 4th!

The Celtics bench also outplayed the Lakers bench; Posey (dagger three's); Powe (tough); Vet- PJ Brown and instant "O" Eddie House made sure of that!

An embarrasment for LA. down by a much as 43?? at one time.

Very impressive! A brutal beatdown in Bean-town! It's been a long time since I have seen Defense played like that! KG(26 pts./14 reb.) wasn't to be denied after the Game 5 performance! Happy for Pierce(38 pts. Game #5) and Allen(26 pts.) too. Each of the Big Three stepped it up when they had to. Rondo played his best game! 21 pts. 7 reb. 6 steals!! Even "Big Baby" Glen Davis had a monster-slam in the 4th!

The Celtics bench also outplayed the Lakers bench; Posey (dagger three's); Powe (tough); Vet- PJ Brown and instant "O" Eddie House made sure of that!

An embarrasment for LA. down by a much as 43?? at one time.

The lose by 39 was also the largest lose in a game clincher ever in the finals.

I think the Celtics just had an all around great game. The Big Babe dunk was nice, but the alley-oop to Tony Allen reverse dunk was awesome and a good way to keep the crowd cheering.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned anything about the draft.

The Nets had a big day on Thursday... couple big draft day steals, then traded Richard Jefferson for Yi Jainlain and another guy I can't recall at the moment from Milwaukee. They're really positioning themselves to go for LeBron and/or D.Wade in 2010, going along with a move to Brooklyn.

Round 1

Chicago Bulls- Derrick Rose, Guard, Memphis

Miami Heat- Michael Beasley, Forward, Kansas State

Minnesota Timberwolves- O.J. Mayo, Guard, USC (To Memphis)

Seattle Supersonics- Russell Westbrook, Guard, UCLA

Memphis Grizzlies- Kevin Love, Forward, UCLA (To Minnesota)

New York Knicks- Danilo Gallinari, Forward, Italy

Los Angeles Clippers- Eric Gordon, Guard, Indiana

Milwaukee Bucks- Joe Alexander, Forward, West Virginia

Charlotte Bobcats- D.J. Augustin, Guard, Texas

New Jersey Nets- Brook Lopez, Center, Stanford

Indiana Pacers- Jerryd Bayless, Guard, Arizona

Sacramento Kings- Jason Thompson, Forward, Rider

Portland Trail Blazers- Brandon Rush, Forward, Kansas

Golden State Warriors- Anthony Randolph, Forward, LSU

Phoenix Suns (from Atlanta)- Robin Lopez, Forward, Stanford

Philadelphia 76ers- Marreese Speights, Forward, Florida

Toronto Raptors- Roy Hibbert, Center, Georgetown

Washington Wizards- JaVale McGee, Center, Nevada

Cleveland Cavaliers- J.J. Hickson, Forward, N.C. State

Charlotte Bobcats (from Denver)- Alexis Ajinca, Center, France

New Jersey Nets (from Dallas)- Ryan Anderson, Forward, California

Orlando Magic- Courtney Lee, Guard, Western Kentucky

Utah Jazz- Kosta Koufos, Center, Ohio State

Seattle SuperSonics (from Phoenix)- Serge Ibaka, Forward, Spain

Houston Rockets- Nicolas Batum, Forward, France (To Portland)

San Antonio Spurs- George Hill, Guard, IUPUI

New Orleans- Darrell Arthur, Forward, Kansas (To Memphis via Portland)

Memphis Grizzlies (from L.A. Lakers)- Donte Greene, Forward, Syracuse (To Houston)

Detroit Pistons- D.J. White, Forward, Indiana (To Seattle)

Boston Celtics- J.R. Giddens, Guard, New Mexico

Round 2

Minnesota Timberwolves (from Miami)- Nikola Pekovic, Center, Serbia

Seattle Supersonics- Walter Sharpe, Forward, Alabama-Birmingham (To Detroit)

Portland Trail Blazers (from Memphis)- Joey Dorsey, Forward, Memphis (To Houston)

Minnesota Timberwolves- Mario Chalmers, Guard, Kansas (To Miami)

Los Angeles Clippers- DeAndre Jordan, Center, Texas A&M

Portland Trail Blazers (from New York)- Omer Asik, Center, Turkey (To Chicago)

Milwaukee Bucks- Luc Mbah a Moute, Forward, UCLA

Charlotte Bobcats- Kyle Weaver, Guard, Washington State

Chicago Bulls- Sonny Weems, Guard, Arkansas (To Denver)

New Jersey Nets- Chris Douglas-Roberts, Guard, Memphis

Indiana Pacers- Nathan Jawai, Forward, Australia

Sacramento Kings (from Atlanta)- Sean Singletary, Guard, Virginia

Sacramento Kings- Patrick Ewing Jr., Forward, Georgetown

Utah Jazz (from Philadelphia)- Ante Tomic, Center, Croatia

San Antonio Spurs (from Toronto)- Goran Dragic, Guard, Slovenia (To Phoenix)

Seattle SuperSonics (from Portland)- Trent Plaisted, Forward, BYU (To Detroit)

Washington Wizards- Bill Walker, Forward, Kansas State (To Boston)

Phoenix Suns (from Cleveland)- Malik Hairston, Guard, Oregon (To San Antonio)

Golden State Warriors- Richard Hendrix, Forward, Alabama

Seattle SuperSonics (from Denver)- DeVon Hardin, Center, California

Dallas Mavericks- Shan Foster, Guard, Vanderbilt

Miami Heat (from Orlando)- Darnell Jackson, Forward, Kansas (To Cleveland)

Utah Jazz- Tadija Dragicevic, Forward, Serbia

Houston Rockets- Maarty Leunen, Forward, Oregon

Portland Trail Blazers (from Phoenix)- Mike Taylor, Guard, Idaho Stampede (To L.A. Clippers)

Seattle SuperSonics (from New Orleans)- Sasha Kaun, Center, Kansas

San Antonio Spurs- James Gist, Forward, Maryland

Los Angeles Lakers- Joe Crawford, Guard, Kentucky

Detroit Pistons- Deron Washington, Forward, Virginia Tech

Boston Celtics- Semih Erden, Center, Turkey

Lowerdeck, I was wondering myself why nobody mentioned the Draft :dontknow: . There were so many trades it would make your head spin. Seems like your not too upset the Nets let go of Jefferson?? It will be interesting to watch Yi develop; Bobby Simmons was the other invloved in the trade.

Thanks for the list Raintree 21 :thumbsup:

With the Bulls drafting PG- Rose it looks like Hinrich is expendable; I hear the Blazers may be interested?? Beasley mysteriously shrunk from 6'-10" to 6'-8" so the Bulls weren't confident he'd play power forward.

O.J. Mayo shot-up to #3 and should really help the T-Wolves!

Impressive UCLA had consecutive picks at #4 Westbrook(Sonics) and #5 Love-(Grizzlies).

My sleeper was Joe Alexander who's stock rose from #21 to #13 all the way to #8 with the Bucks. He and Richard Jefferson should give the Bucks more athleticism!

Rumor has it the Lakers may steal Posey from the Celtics?? I hope not!

Love and Mayo got dealt for one another, along with six other players.

I liked Jefferson, but the Nets are in a total rebuild mode right now. It's a matter of time before Carter gets traded, unless he's there to sell tickets and/or wants to play in Brooklyn. From the moves they've made, they're looking to start contending again in time for the Brooklyn move. So I kinda understand. I just hope Yi becomes something decent, to make this deal worth more than just cap room (even that's hard to say with Simmons in the deal.)

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't believe Seattle lost their basketball team. At least the city will keep the name Super Sonics as well as their colors. Maybe they get a team back in a few years?? I doubt the NBA expands again; it would to come from another NBA city that folds IMO.

So what will the "NEW" Oklahoma City team "nickname" be?? Some talks of dropping "City" and calling them Oklahoma. The final four names being considered in a newspaper contest are the Barons, Thunderbirds, Thunder, and Outlaws.

Right now > Outlaws have a BIG lead....53% way back are the Barons...21% Thunder... 13% Thunderbirds...11%

Ironically the Oklahoma Outlaws was the name of the USFL Team back in the 80's.

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't believe Seattle lost their basketball team. At least the city will keep the name Super Sonics as well as their colors. Maybe they get a team back in a few years?? I doubt the NBA expands again; it would to come from another NBA city that folds IMO.

as crazy as it may seem, I think in the NBA at least further expansion is innevitable.

So many cities have grown to a size that can sustain a team. Also so many of these cities are far enough away from an existing team that they will draw a much larger tv audience. the OKC move is as much about TV as anything. sure they will get 16-18k fans. thats pretty easy in any city with near a million people. its really not that hard. but The entire state of Oklahoma just got its own team. So they will tune in I am sure.

Kansas City will likely get one some time too

St Louis

Seattle will get another

Jacksonville or maybe Tampa could support a team easily.

Nashville

Louisville

Cincinati

Columbus

Grand Rapids

hartford/springfield

Newark again after the nets move to Brooklyn or long island for that matter

San Jose or San Fanncisco

Baltimore

las Vegas

Bakersfield CA

Buffalo or Rochester

every one of these cities could support a team.

the other thing is that european teams are now starting to steal players away. if there were 2 more teams, there would be jobs for 24 more players and 12 of those would be high paying jobs.

so I think the league will expand again. and I know more teams will move.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

IT's PLAYOFF TIME!!!

Earlier in this season had the makings of a Celtics-Lakers re-match for the NBA Championship; but LeBron and the Cavs have something to say about that! Clinching home-court advantage through-out the playoffs with the Best W-L record! Kevin Garnett is injured; making it tough for the Celtics to repeat!

The East is Top Heavy with the Cavs, Celtics and Magic...while the Lakers ran away with the West...teams 2-9 were tightly packed! It's a shame the Suns(46-36) missed the playoffs(even if they did not have much chance) out West; had they been in the East they would have been the #5 seed!

EAST

#1 Cavs (66-16) vs.

#8 Pistons (39-43)

#4 Hawks (47-35)

#5 Heat (43-39)

#3 Magic (59-23)

#6 Sixers (41-41)

#2 Celtics (62-20)

#7 Bulls (41-41)

WEST

#1 Lakers (65-17)

#8 Jazz (48-34)

#4 Blazers (54-28)

#5 Rockets (53-29)

#3 Spurs (54-28)

#6 Mavs (50-32)

#2 Nuggets (54-28)

#7 Hornets (49-33)

**There were some really bad teams too! The Kings (17-65); Wizards (19-63); Clippers (19-63); Thunder (23-59); Grizzlies (24-58); T-Wolves (24-58) will be hoping for some NBA Lotto Luck!

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

Yes indeed! Incredible series! I kind of think Boston at home wins too; hope I'm wrong?? The "Triple OT" Thursday + Double OT....4 of 6 games into OT?? Even making it more exciting is watching "Big Baby" Glen Davis(Celtics) vs. Tyrus Thomas(Bulls) BOTH from Baton Rouge(where I'm from) that played together on LSU's Final Four Team back in 06'...Big Baby has exceeded my expectations as Kevin Garnett's replacement. Orlando Magic await the Winner....

Hawks/Heat tied at 3-3; Winner to face the Cavs ....

The Western Semi-Finals are set....Nuggets vs Mavericks & Lakers vs Rockets