Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elguapo731

Nashville Olympics 2020?

18 posts in this topic

A man with a vision, probably the wrong one. I dont see it happening, but who knows, stranger things have happened.

If you guys can't build a $40 million baseball park, forget trying to lure the Olympics. Seriously, when Nashville announced that it was going to go for the 1996 Olympics, it gave Billy Payne the idea for Atlanta to pursue them.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I've heard everything now. I like Nashville alot, but since when has Nashville become an international city?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I've heard everything now. I like Nashville alot, but since when has Nashville become an international city?

While this is probably not a viable option by 2020, a mere 12 years away, its a pretty bold proposal that has to be appreciated for its merit of where the candidate wants to take the city. While I won't discount a viable plan could be developed, it would take one heck of a mayor to make it a reality within that timespan.

I have to also take issue with the idea Nashville is not an international city in terms of the forms of diversity found within its borders; while its no New York, Atlanta, Chicago, LA, etc., for its size and compared to its peers I would think it would be a pretty diverse city. So while not an "international city" in terms of its international profile globally, I would definitely argue it has an increasingly significant and appreciable international presence. I don't think a city has to be "international" to host the summer or winter Olympics anyways, or else Salt Lake and most every other Winter Olympics venue would fall out of that category, nor would I place Athens or Sydney too high up of the international profile meter in the scheme of things. There are very few truly international cities in the world, and only allowing them to host the Olympics over and over would be rather boring IMO. So if a smaller profile cities such as Nashville can develop viable plans to host the Olympics I see little reason why they should not persue them if they so choose, heck Nashville or some other smaller city might actually snag them at some point with the right proposal.

Great, here is a candidate that is against building a new convention center for the city that will attract visitors EVERY year but he is FOR building many more structures that will not have viability after the Olympics. Great thought process (and a little grandstanding)

Great, here is a candidate that is against building a new convention center for the city that will attract visitors EVERY year but he is FOR building many more structures that will not have viability after the Olympics. Great thought process (and a little grandstanding)

I agree with your statement about the Olympics in Atlanta, my point was he seems to already be stepping over dollars to pick up nickles.

Why do people think Atlanta is such a great city? I absolutely HATE Atlanta. The people there are soooooo fake it really makes me sick. I'm from New York, the mother of all American cities and I would live in Nashville over Altanta any day.

Nashville should feel proud for having it proposed, but I don't think its plausible for 2020.

Why do people think Atlanta is such a great city? I absolutely HATE Atlanta. The people there are soooooo fake it really makes me sick. I'm from New York, the mother of all American cities and I would live in Nashville over Altanta any day.

I've always felt Clement was an "idiot". It seems to me just about everything he comes out to support hasn't got a ghost of a chance of succeeding, and this one takes the cake.

I'm sure that if we theoretically were literally FORCED to host an Olympic games we could pull off a decent one. That being said, regardless of the exposure it would bring to the city I really wouldn't support a Nashville Olympics within the next 15-20 years.

Aside from the fact that there is almost no way we'd get picked anytime soon (especially since there is a great chance Chicago will host the 2016 games), the billions of dollars it would take to bring the olympics here needs to be spent other things before we go spending it on sporting events.

On the other hand, the Olympics would perhaps force us to make the long needed infrastructure and transportation upgrades that we continue to put off.

I certainly commend Nashville for giving it an effort...I mean, it can't hurt to try; however, aren't the Atlanta games considered by many to be a bit of a failure or at least one of the weaker summer games? I would love to see Nashville get the games, but at the same time, I just wonder how keen people are going to be to hold the summer games in a "smaller" city after Atlanta was basically mauled by the European press in particular for making it so commercialized. Because Nashville is a smaller market, I'm sure it would have to heavily rely on the same methods of fundraising and ticket sales to pay for a large portion of the bill. I hope it gets them, but seeing as how it would be in competition against places like Tokyo, Chicago (if they don't get the 2016 games), LA, Paris...some claim Detroit and Philly are pondering a bid as well as Budapest, Cape Town, and a slew of others...overall, it's going to be a major fight. Nashville would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I certainly commend Nashville for giving it an effort...I mean, it can't hurt to try; however, aren't the Atlanta games considered by many to be a bit of a failure or at least one of the weaker summer games? I would love to see Nashville get the games, but at the same time, I just wonder how keen people are going to be to hold the summer games in a "smaller" city after Atlanta was basically mauled by the European press in particular for making it so commercialized. Because Nashville is a smaller market, I'm sure it would have to heavily rely on the same methods of fundraising and ticket sales to pay for a large portion of the bill. I hope it gets them, but seeing as how it would be in competition against places like Tokyo, Chicago (if they don't get the 2016 games), LA, Paris...some claim Detroit and Philly are pondering a bid as well as Budapest, Cape Town, and a slew of others...overall, it's going to be a major fight. Nashville would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath.