NWA Regional Airport

Sammy00

I am just curious as to why NWA Regional Airport is not NWA National Airport.

A little petty I suppose, but National just adds a little prestige to the name.

I've checked around and can't find any prerequisities that must be established to become a National airport, International yes, but not National. (although there might very well be some).

At my last check, XNA served 16 destinations to LIT's 18.

It actually serves more destinations than many other National airports.

Kind of dumb, but just curious...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am just curious as to why NWA Regional Airport is not NWA National Airport.

A little petty I suppose, but National just adds a little prestige to the name.

I've checked around and can't find any prerequisities that must be established to become a National airport, International yes, but not National. (although there might very well be some).

At my last check, XNA served 16 destinations to LIT's 18.

It actually serves more destinations than many other National airports.

Kind of dumb, but just curious...

Yes, please search for other topics before creating new ones.

To answer your question on National Status, it's really nothing more than a Regional Airport. There's really only a handfull of "National" Airports in the country. Springfield National, Little Rock National, Washington National, etc. I'd much rather the Airport Commission make the airport International status here in a few years.

One thing that will come in handy for you here is the search feature. You can search for topics on subjects like this.

I don't think this question has been answered, but there is a thread for the discussion of XNA where this post would makes sense to go.

As for LR National Airport, that change was made not too long ago. I believe it used to be Little Rock Municipal, or just Littel Rock Adams Field.

I don't think there is a critieria for the naming of airports, but just whatever the airport folks want to call them. I could be wrong though.

Guys - I don't know why everyone seems to be misinformed on airport nomenclature, but so you may be enlightened, there are NO guidelines or qualifications for what you name an airport. XNA could be called the "Northwest Arkansas Intergalactic Spaceport" if the commission (or whatever governing body oversees the airport) so deemed it. It doesn't mean anything. You can call it what you want.

Guys - I don't know why everyone seems to be misinformed on airport nomenclature, but so you may be enlightened, there are NO guidelines or qualifications for what you name an airport. XNA could be called the "Northwest Arkansas Intergalactic Spaceport" if the commission (or whatever governing body oversees the airport) so deemed it. It doesn't mean anything. You can call it what you want.

Actually there is a rule of thumb involved. An "International" airport has to offer a full service US Customs/Border Patrol office, officers, and other stuff. As in the case of our airport here in Nashville and in Memphis, both "International" airports, they have US Customs offices on site that are staffed 24 hours with officers from the US Customs and Border Patrol. They do the initial inspection of travelers from other countries at both airports and inspect international cargo flights. All of which are daily occurances at these two airports. If NWA can get a 24 hour full service US Customs office, then it can legally be called an "International" airport. Unitl then, it is a "Regional" or a "National" airport. Regean National in DC is the exception here.

Now keep in mind, International flights can land and take off from NWA regardless. But they have to prearrange that a US Customs officer meet them at the airport upon arrival and clear them prior to departure. The same would be true in Little Rock.

That sounds good, but I can name about 100 airports that call themselves "International" but do not offer any type of international flights (maybe they have the services?). Regardless, it doesn't actually mean that an airport has international flights, which is what most people assume.

Little Rock has a customs office, but rightly decided that calling it an "International" airport would be a joke since that's not really the case...

Well, you don't have to have international flights to be considered and "International" airport. You just have to have a US Customs and Border Control office that is staffed 24 hours and is available at any time and have a government approved FTZ (Foreign Trade Zone). Flights to and from international destinations mean nothing in terms of calling yourself an "International" airport.

Yes, that's "sort of" my point....however, you are referring to an official "designation" or "classification" by the FAA, which really has nothing to do with what you name an airport. I am about 95% sure that you can call it whatever you want, and that often airports that use "international" in their name don't really have that designation. I do not believe the FAA regulates the "name" of your airport (only an internal designation on a governmental tracking database). Either way, my point and yours is that people assume that the title (or designation) has something to do with available flights or traffic, which is obviously not true. Consequently, its pretty lame when cities/airports use the term to imply something that they are not (even if they have a customs office, which is often for cargo).

Archived