Hillsborough & Morgan St

Beth Y

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize the velvet cloak is pretty dilapidated, but I'm rather disappointed to see a building with a bit of character and history replaced by something that will doubtless be very monolithic and bland, not all that well built, have no retail, and not offer any real increase in density. Getting more residents is good, but I'd rather see some interesting architecture or retail or something.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article67508697.html

This article focuses on the property along Hillsborough between Montgomery and Furches, but it also mentions that Jim Zanoni from FMW is brushing off plans to build more apartments near the current IHOP building. The article mentions that they will go behind the IHOP, but given that IHOP is moving up the street, I have to imagine that no new tenant will want the IHOP building so that will probably come down and be incorporated into this project. He has about 1.8 acres on that property not including 1301 Hillsborough which he has already developed, and the article mentions 85 units.

I wonder whatever happened to the 15 units he was planning at 105 Ashe.

I attended one last bachelor party in there a year ago. Nothing at all had been updated in the place, but it still had that "must have been nice back in its day" feel to it. At least the three houses facing Hillsborough are being left alone. 

Archived