GR Interactive Crime Map

I don't think this is purely over crack, but young adults with anger problems. I don't think these are crack or drug related because the dealers know not to cause attention. The crack gangs and structured criminal organizations know the quickest way to loosing business is committing a murder -- the cops put the heat on and move the user base. Those folks know the jail sentence for felony murder = done forever.

Interesting enough is that one of the most structured, violent, connected organized gangs in Grand Rapids hasn't been heard from in recent memory. I can't remember when the last murder from the local Latin King franchise was committed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think this is purely over crack, but young adults with anger problems. I don't think these are crack or drug related because the dealers know not to cause attention. You have some of these gangs that are inexperienced and armed. The experienced crack gangs and structured criminal organizations know the quickest way to loosing business is committing a murder -- the cops put the heat on and move the user base. Those folks know the jail sentence for felony murder = done forever.

Interesting enough is that one of the most structured, violent, connected organized gangs in Grand Rapids hasn't been heard from in recent memory. I can't remember when the last murder from the local Latin King franchise was committed.

I don't think this is purely over crack, but young adults with anger problems. I don't think these are crack or drug related because the dealers know not to cause attention. The crack gangs and structured criminal organizations know the quickest way to loosing business is committing a murder -- the cops put the heat on and move the user base. Those folks know the jail sentence for felony murder = done forever.

I don't believe that crack dealers, at least on the street level, are that rational. I think it is more like that person is selling crack in an area where I want to be selling crack so I need to get rid of them. Maybe people in higher positions of power are organized and don't do the dirty work, but the dirty work gets done.

As far as other vices go, crack seems to be more destructive than other drugs because it is terribly addictive, and there is no down time with it. Once you use up your supply you are looking for more.

I don't believe that crack dealers, at least on the street level, are that rational. I think it is more like that person is selling crack in an area where I want to be selling crack so I need to get rid of them. Maybe people in higher positions of power are organized and don't do the dirty work, but the dirty work gets done.

As far as other vices go, crack seems to be more destructive than other drugs because it is terribly addictive, and there is no down time with it. Once you use up your supply you are looking for more.

What does poverty have to do with crime rates? My grandparents grew up on the city's west side - some of the poorest people in a poor neighborhood - and there wasn't the crime we see on the SE side today. Poverty does not cause crime. Neither does race. Probably the biggest contributer to crime rates is a lack of education. GRPS is doing a miserable job - only contributing to the cycle of poor upbringing, glorification of violence, drug culture, etc.

Well what is the point of gangs, making money or just killing for no reason? It takes a certain type of individual in the right situation to kill, but I think that money through illicit means is a root cause. I also think that crack is probably one of the most lucrative illicit drug.

Well what is the point of gangs, making money or just killing for no reason? It takes a certain type of individual in the right situation to kill, but I think that money through illicit means is a root cause. I also think that crack is probably one of the most lucrative illicit drug.

Sometimes the point is just strength and respect in numbers. The only way to be respected as the man/woman that you think you are is to join a gang. Now when you disrespect me, you've got my whole gang to answer to. Oh yeah, and we have guns.

Are you talking about that one guy who escaped custody and made a big to do near Michigan St, Duthler Foods, and then on Channel 8? My concern is the recent voilence of this year dealing with younger shooters. It's the crack shootings that are few and far between it seems, maybe I'm wrong.

OK I'm really sorry to be back on topic, but this google mashup kinda sucks. It appears that their sole source of data is WOODTV.com. This is nowhere near a representative sample of the actual incidents of violent crime in Grand Rapids, just the ones some editor decided were worthy of showing up on the news.

Having said that, I think it would be fascinating to see a mashup using real police data, such as this one for Chicago.

OK I'm really sorry to be back on topic, but this google mashup kinda sucks. It appears that their sole source of data is WOODTV.com. This is nowhere near a representative sample of the actual incidents of violent crime in Grand Rapids, just the ones some editor decided were worthy of showing up on the news.

Having said that, I think it would be fascinating to see a mashup using real police data, such as this one for Chicago.

Archived