Anyone watch 30 Rock last night?

TheGerbil

Last night's episode involved two characters taking a trip to Cleveland and talking about moving there. They basically really played up the city. It seemed like a joke, but not a mean joke - I am willing to bet it did more good than bad for the city's image.

Cleveland needs good publicity as much as Pittsburgh does, so I don't begrudge them. But I couldn't help wondering why not us? I hear Pittsburgh randomly mentioned sometimes, but I feel like Cleveland gets slightly more mentions in pop culture (e.g. TV shows and commercials).

So I guess what I am asking is, what do you think makes a TV writer think of a particular city and not another? Do you think Cleveland is kind of the ultimate "random" city to mention? Is it because it's midwestern and people think of midwestern cities as something of a mystery?

Also, do you think random mentions are even something we should care about?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
could it be that pittsburgh shares a state with another city that gets the lion's share of name-checking in pop culture (philadelphia)? cleveland isn't even technically the biggest city in ohio, right? that's columbus (or it was the last time i looked at population stats in the back of the atlas) - but what other big ohio city is looking down, culturally, at cleveland? i don't think the word 'columbus' would even occur to the average person walking the street here in the deep south (or most other parts of the country), were you to ask them to name the biggest, or most culturally or economically significant city in OH. most people i know would probably even be likely to guess cleveland or cincinnati as the capital.

in other words, maybe cleveland gets more exposure bc it's the perceived big city in its home state, whereas pittsburgh has to look up to a perceived big brother.

everything i've ever heard about pittsburgh makes me want to go there, in any case. weird?

Looks like it could be great show. Good cast. And look at the nice shot of the skyline in the background.

I hope they don't resort to poking fun at the city for laughs. But with such experienced people working on the show, perhaps they will be above that. Who knows, maybe this could be a hit. Maybe it will do for Pittsburgh what The Drew Carey Show did for Cleveland.

Archived