Cathedral Square Project

GRDadof3

Someone next to me this morning went straight down wealthy from the inside lane which by my Google search is for lefts and u-turns. How are they going to educate the public against such things?

The same way they taught us how to use Michigan-left-turns, center-lanes for left-only and HOV lanes: Time. It takes time for everyone to get used to them. Once they are, people stop complaining.

I would also imagine that the roundabouts will be incorporated into drivers' education now that they're becoming more common.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ted, an architect, said he was going to be riding his Swift. Paul, a restauranteur (you like the sound of that Paul?), said that he saw someone riding a Swift.

I had assumed that a Swift was a scooter or moped brand, kind of like a Puch ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puch ). Turns out it's a folding bicycle. ( http://commutebybike.com/2006/03/07/xootr-swift-review/ )

Ted, can I try out your Swift sometime? Because I'm sure my wife would agree that our garage really needs another bicycle. :)

Thanks for filling in the gaps.

The Swift is interesting. I've become a fan of folding bikes since I got an old Dahon earlier this year. I thought I'd be using it just for situations where I need the portability of a folding bicycle, but it's so fun it's my primary -- and I now have 2 -- a 16 inch and a 20 inch.

The same way they taught us how to use Michigan-left-turns, center-lanes for left-only and HOV lanes: Time. It takes time for everyone to get used to them. Once they are, people stop complaining.

I would also imagine that the roundabouts will be incorporated into drivers' education now that they're becoming more common.

I've driven on 2 and 3 lane roundabouts in Europe and they're pretty fluid, meaning not many people technically hold their lanes and cars are swiping positions constantly. But because it's at slower speeds, you never really feel like you're going to crash (because everyone is generally headed in the same direction). It's actually kind of fun when you get used to it, and when every intersection you come to is that way.

I do remember large signs that clearly showed which way to go. And when more than 4 roads intersected, which was a lot, you just counted drives until you got to your turn. To be honest though, I think I always just stayed in the far outside lane, which probably was not the correct usage.

co72-119rdabtsign.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was going through some old photos and I can't get over how different this corner looks:

764058996_23b4cfb10f_b.jpg

2591653268_a25192c927.jpg

505764662_9501305eb6.jpg

2738751833_2acfa0d51d.jpg

Yeah it sure is a whole lot nicer. I live across the street and really enjoy the improved view. They have started the project across the street between Catholic Central High School and Saint Andrews that the Secchia's are financing:

3064136046_e3c1ea126c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3064...57608565783924/

~John

• 3 weeks later...

I just ran across an article from December 8th from MiBiz. It also includes a thumbnail strip of before and after pictures.

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/...8&zoneid=32

~John

Server Error in '/' Application

I've found MiBiz's site to be one of the most technologically unsavvy websites to link to. And they won't even let you excerpt a portion of the article content. Booooh.

• 2 years later...

Now that these have grown in, I love it! It'll be nice to see the ones on UICA grow in (I noticed they are planted and slowly creeping). The ones on VAI facing Division seem to be taking a long time to get started.

5794431822_afb49a77fe_z.jpg

5794432896_e1647b232b_z.jpg

5794433854_5ac38ac44f_z.jpg

I agree. These look great, and I can't wait to see the ones on Gallery at Fulton take off. I heard from the architect that the vines on the Catholic Diocese grew *UNUSUALLY* fast. They thought it'd take them much more time to get established. Must be perfect light/soil.

Joe

Archived