Cathedral Square Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long as we tear down the 60's and 70's crapchitecture before it's considered historic. :)

It's already historic... historically awful.

ba dum bum. Thank you thank you. I'll be here till Thursday. Try the veal, it's fantastic. Remember to tip your servers.

:P

I liked the building too. Another 10 years and we'll protect these buildings.

On the flipside, that site is toxic. Probably pretty hard to re-use without major expenditures, no?

Joe

I am sorry to see it go. I like streamlined architecture. Other cities consider them a valuable asset. That building would have made a great restaurant, furniture store, whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Holes in the old warehouse, and it looks like they are going to keep the steet frame from the one section of Uptown Cleaners. That's a pretty solid old storage facility. You can't see them in the pictures, but they have the round concrete columns on the inside, like the A&P warehouse on Front.

908471302_0b1bd8df07_b.jpg

The view from the gas station:

908471416_6c7aa6916b_b.jpg

They weren't opposed to tearing it down, but were opposed to tearing it down without a redevelopment plan in place...

Not to bring up old news but wasn't a plan in the past objected tearing down the uptown cleaner site because it was said to be historical?

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite a hefty skeleton when you see the inside of it! I still wish they would have kept the warehouse look, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with!

Joe

The old warehouse is now just a concrete frame on the upper 3 levels. It looks like they pulled all the old brick off of the exterior and all that remains is the skeleton.

• 2 months later...

I was disappointed to see them take out the red brick apartment building with the white columns. It could have been a beaut. This isn't all parking lot is it? They've knocked down almost the whole south side of wealthy up to the old school and replaced it with surface lots. I sure am glad that Heritage Hill impedes any demo to the east.

Joe

I'm glad someone is finally doing something with those eyesores! Everytime I looked at that building right on the corner, it blew my mind in regard to the terrible 'design' that happened on the different levels and different elevations. Makes you wonder what people were thinking back in the day!

The So So's building (which I believe you are referring to) was a headscratcher. Different levels, different brick, that funky lava rock look. I'm sure it had gone through a ton of renovations since it was built (and many of them not-so-great). I just hope that the space taken up by So So's and that defunct BBQ place (actually, two of them- one on division, one on Wealthy) is a building and not a parking lot.

Speaking of Division, I drove up Division last night and it is a very odd mix. A huge mob of homeless hanging out at Degage Ministries on the East side, and a huge mob of alterna-teens hanging out on the West side outside Skeletones. Looking up into the artist lofts they were having some kind of gallery showing, so people were sipping wines and looking at art. It was a strange sight. :)

Joe

I'm glad someone is finally doing something with those eyesores! Everytime I looked at that building right on the corner, it blew my mind in regard to the terrible 'design' that happened on the different levels and different elevations. Makes you wonder what people were thinking back in the day!

I was disappointed to see them take out the red brick apartment building with the white columns. It could have been a beaut. This isn't all parking lot is it? They've knocked down almost the whole south side of wealthy up to the old school and replaced it with surface lots. I sure am glad that Heritage Hill impedes any demo to the east.

Joe

This building had to go to make room for the round-a-bout coming during the next round of road work, I believe.

The So So's building (which I believe you are referring to) was a headscratcher. Different levels, different brick, that funky lava rock look. I'm sure it had gone through a ton of renovations since it was built (and many of them not-so-great)...
Way before that building housed So So's, it was Hattam's Restaurant, one of the four classy restaurants that used to occupy South Division near downtown till the mid-sixties. The other three were Sayfee's, Scotty's, and Brann's Porterhouse Room. That strange facade was how you made an old building look cool and modern in the fifties. Surprised no one tried to save it as we will not likely see architecture of that mix of styles again (if we're lucky.)

If you get a chance to drive by this area, you'll be shocked. It's like the entire block is being cleared (well it kind of is). Did someone already ask what is planned for the SoSo's site?

I vaguely remember LADave saying something or ICCF being involved with the rebirth of this block...

Archived