Cathedral Square Project

GRDadof3

I believe it's part of ICCF's Wealthy Jefferson Initiative. Linky

I was wondering if there were any immediate plans to start developing it piecemeal? Or will that corner sit vacant like a lot of the house lots Southeast of there. I can't see ICCF throwing up a whole block of development at once. :huh:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh!

Looks like that plaza is just going to be a few yards long and sandwiched between the street and a parking lot. No fountains, sculpture, or a reason to even set foot there.

And neither building looks like they will have a good design.

Also looks like a large parking lot to the east too.

of course this is all "screened" by gigantic, mutant, architecture software trees that will pretty all of this up.

Great. Knock down an streamlined "jewel in the rough" and replace it with a parking lot along Division. That is great city planning. That is a great testiment to all the groups that approved this. Another 30 years of no synergy on this part of Division, just blacktop.

Great. Knock down an streamlined "jewel in the rough" and replace it with a parking lot along Division. That is great city planning. That is a great testiment to all the groups that approved this. Another 30 years of no synergy on this part of Division, just blacktop.

I do believe it was torn down due to contamination. It wouldn't have been usable if they had kept it.

I do believe it was torn down due to contamination. It wouldn't have been usable if they had kept it.

Yeah, isn't that part of the reason it sat empty for about a decade? Because the whole site there on the corner is so contaminated from the Uptown Cleaners operations?

This is from the Diocesan Website concerning the new "Cathedral Square"

http://dioceseofgrandrapids.org/bishop/oct18final.pdf

Not sure if any of this was in the Press article or not. One interesting thing that I noticed was that they are trying to get LEED certification for one of the buildings (not sure which one...but I am guessing the one to the south of the property).

Also...I just want to say that just because there is no Fountain/Statue at this stage, doesn't mean that there won't be one in the future. Churches tend to be pretty permanant places and while they build as cheaply as possible to get things off the ground...over the years Church properties tend to just get lovlier and lovlier when people donate additions...so a statue or fountain feature is a very strong possibility in that square in future years...if not many sculptures.

okay...done with the soap-box...who needs it next? :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Diocese has sold their property on Burton:

Pastor has big plans for Catholic property

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Rev. Marvin Sapp, whose church was running out of space, often drove past the Grand Rapids Catholic Diocese property on Burton Street and dreamed of the programs he could offer there.

On Tuesday, Sapp's Lighthouse Full Life Center Church agreed to buy the nearly 17-acre campus, where it plans to offer religious and educational activities.

It's great that the property is not going to sit vacant very long, and that the main building will stay intact. It's a beautiful old building.

• 4 weeks later...

That parking ramp is going to be quite the improvement on the parking situation. As a CC alum, that used to be the senior lot where you literally parked your car wherever you could- parking lines need not apply. Give Catholic credit for sticking it out through many years in what was always a rough area. There was serious talks in the early 1990's about moving the school up to where their athletic fields are now at Knapp and Leffingwell, but they stayed committed to the neighborhood.

That parking ramp is going to be quite the improvement on the parking situation. As a CC alum, that used to be the senior lot where you literally parked your car wherever you could- parking lines need not apply. Give Catholic credit for sticking it out through many years in what was always a rough area. There was serious talks in the early 1990's about moving the school up to where their athletic fields are now at Knapp and Leffingwell, but they stayed committed to the neighborhood.

I remember that. Parking was a free-for-all. It's great to see development around the school! When I was there we had a security guard, not to keep the kids from doing anything stupid, but to protect the students from some of the neighbors. Yet I also remember volunteering at God's Kitchen many hours, and doing Christmas deliveries, all organized by the school. The diocese is very involved with the neighborhood.

According to a recent letter from the Bishop, they're looking to have the big conference center building done by late spring so St. Mary's can move in. Wonder how feasible that really is?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived