Cathedral Square Project

GRDadof3

I'm still scratching my head on this. I think I need to see more windows in. What side is the main entrance on?

Joe

I think the main entrance is right here on the Division side where the old warehouse and the Sheldon's steel section meet:

501453825_2953fba6b9_o.png

1624252380_83797c222d_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I drove by the site lastnight (didn't have my camera though)

It looks very interesting. I think after its done, i'll really like it. The windows are really irregular, i naturally tried to apply a grid or pattern to them, but was unable to from the perspective I was looking at.

Its worth driving by for someone with a camera in the area.....

I drove by the site lastnight (didn't have my camera though)

It looks very interesting. I think after its done, i'll really like it. The windows are really irregular, i naturally tried to apply a grid or pattern to them, but was unable to from the perspective I was looking at.

Its worth driving by for someone with a camera in the area.....

Your wish is granted.

2296937662_300cb37a03_b.jpg

The windows do seem to be devoid of any pattern:

2296148487_6126519caa_b.jpg

2296149197_6d524080de_b.jpg

And the parking ramp:

2296945654_afeed0e781_b.jpg

I can safely say that I am pleasantly surprised. :good: I was nervous for a while that the warehouse would end up looking dated before it opened. I don't really care for the parking ramp since I believe it'll only be a few stories. Plus, go figure, no retail involved in its construction. Although I can see how it probably wouldn't be cost effective and not something the church would want to get themselves into (leasing out retail space). I just hate seeing a missed opportunity.

I don't know, I guess I'm just not sold on having a parking lot fronting the corner of Wealthy and Division. I realize that there will be landscaping, but I wonder if the planning of this project could have done for a little better programming. The office building, though, looks like it's shaping up to be unique, in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the sale of the Diocese property on Burton to Lighthouse Full Life Center Church (and also a new home to a music-centered GRPS high school), has fallen through:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Bizarre story. Although it sounds like GRPS plans to still go ahead with the school at another location.

• 1 month later...

its been a while since i've heard much on this, but it looks like contruction is moving along nicely. Does anyone have specifics on what is going to happen on the south side of wealthy. I know ICCF had a vision for that area, but what is it going to be?

• 5 weeks later...

Some news on the project.

Anyone know if they are still doing a roundabout at Wealthy and Division?

The article talked about the piazza being modeled after one designed by Michelangelo in Rome. Does anybody know which piazza they are refering too? Also are there any renderings available? Sounds awesome...can't wait to see it!

I am sure it will look nice. I question the judgement of putting more open space in the Wealthy/South Division area. All it will take is a few homeless sleeping there to make everyone start staying away, assuming it is unsafe. Then we will have a large plaza, devoid of life, stopping any further development in the area. Yes, I am cynical.

The article talked about the piazza being modeled after one designed by Michelangelo in Rome. Does anybody know which piazza they are refering too? Also are there any renderings available? Sounds awesome...can't wait to see it!

There are a number to choose from, but I could imagine something like the Piazza del Campidoglio. It's not as grandiose as many others, which would make it easier to duplicate.

I am sure it will look nice. I question the judgement of putting more open space in the Wealthy/South Division area. All it will take is a few homeless sleeping there to make everyone start staying away, assuming it is unsafe. Then we will have a large plaza, devoid of life, stopping any further development in the area. Yes, I am cynical.

I undestand what you mean...however I don't think that this will be a huge problem for the most part. From what I read it sounds like it is the area that is already open space anyway...the space in front of the Cathedral in between it and St. Andrew's School that continues down and connects it with Catholic Central. If that is true then it will have built in activity (i.e. Pre and Post gatherings at religious ceremonies in the Cathedral and cultural and school activites...such as graduations and fiesta's...thinking of the large Spanish population with that one).

At night...I bet it will be pretty deserted, but during the day I think it would be rather nice and pleasant.

If they are going to do a piazza, then I hope they do it right. Real piazzas are serious gathering places with activity from dawn into the night. It's not a design prop to doll up a failed space to give the impression of culture and sophistication.

People will also not gather there if there is nothing to do. If you have to rely on scheduled events just to get people to show up, then that should tell you there that it wont be successful. Just look at Calder Plaza.

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not holding my breath.

There are a number to choose from, but I could imagine something like the Piazza del Campidoglio. It's not as grandiose as many others, which would make it easier to duplicate.

Good guess! If you watch the slide show (I know kinda lame) you can get an idea for what it'll look like. Also they mention that it was indeed designed after Piazza del Campidoglio.

http://www.dioceseofgrandrapids.org/

2 thoughts...

Why Campidoglio and not St. Peter's Square? Campidoglio has great significance as a civic and political space, it's the seat of government. Why not draw inspiration from the seat of the church?

Is the piazza really modelled after Campidoglio, or just the paving pattern? Campidoglio is about so much more than just a paving pattern.

2 thoughts...

Why Campidoglio and not St. Peter's Square? Campidoglio has great significance as a civic and political space, it's the seat of government. Why not draw inspiration from the seat of the church?

st. peters square is huge. it is nice and I don't know the actual dimensions but takes up what feels like a whole city block.

Archived