How is life in Greensboro for young people?

kdona12

Hello,

I am french and i might move to Greensboro for a year as from next October. I have a job opportunity at Volvo3P but I was wondering how fun is this little town? It seems to be nice and cool to raise a family but isn't it boring for young people (I am 24)? I know that it is not New York or LA!

Can you please tell me if i will get bored?

Can you tell me more about activities to do? sports? clubbing? weather?

What is the average salary to live correctly? more than correctly?

Do I need a car?

Where are the best place to live considering Volvo location?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dona

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello,

I am french and i might move to Greensboro for a year as from next October. I have a job opportunity at Volvo3P but I was wondering how fun is this little town? It seems to be nice and cool to raise a family but isn't it boring for young people (I am 24)? I know that it is not New York or LA!

Can you please tell me if i will get bored?

Can you tell me more about activities to do? sports? clubbing? weather?

What is the average salary to live correctly? more than correctly?

Do I need a car?

Where are the best place to live considering Volvo location?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dona

Well some others may disagree but Greensboro is full of young folk. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) and A&T University are the major campuses here, and they both are integrated well into the cities urban fabric. There is also GTCC, Guilford, Bennet and Greensboro college. I think citiboi was pretty much on point with the clubbing scene. And with your proximity to Winston and High Point, there are even more options.

If you are into the social scene, bars, clubs, etc., I would not recommed living in Kernersville. Kernersville is family oriented and boring for young singles. I would recommend that you look for an apartment in downtown Greensboro. You can probably find something for between $800 and $1000 a month. Downtown Greensboro is where all the action for young singles is located. Bars, clubs, restaurants are located on Elm street. If you don't have a vehicle, you can always take the PART (Piedmont Authority Regional Transit) to the airport area where Volvo is located which is about 12 to 15 miles from downtown Greensboro.

The reason people retire here is the cost of living is low in relation to other parts of the country and you get more for your money in terms of housing options.

North Carolina is a beatuiful state and rather progressive as a whole. The climate is great here with 9 months of warm weather. There are tons of colleges and universities within the Triad area which consits of Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem with a total population of over 1.25 million.

Hope this helps.

all, thanks for your help!

I still have to think about this idea to move to NC, I'd rather California but it also seems to be a great opportunity...

I will continu my research on Greensboro and his downtown

By the way nobody answered to my question which was "Does $25000-$30000 is the average salary before tax or AFTER taxes, required to live correctly?". In France, we always talk about wages BEFORE taxes but $30000 seems to be low..!

all, thanks for your help!

I still have to think about this idea to move to NC, I'd rather California but it also seems to be a great opportunity...

I will continu my research on Greensboro and his downtown

By the way nobody answered to my question which was "Does $25000-$30000 is the average salary before tax or AFTER taxes, required to live correctly?". In France, we always talk about wages BEFORE taxes but $30000 seems to be low..!

I would say that it would be $25-30K after taxes, provided that one doesn't owe lots of credit card debt, student loans, etc. The cost of living in the Triad is relatively low compared to some other metro areas. It usually depends on the metro, $30K a year would not be sufficient in New York, for example.

The good thing about living in Greensboro is that if you get bored with it...then its a very short trip to other interesting cities in North Carolina, such as Winston Salem, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Asheville, and Wilmington. If you are going to be there for a year...then I think you will find a weekend trip to these various cities to be a nice break.

The good thing about living in Greensboro is that if you get bored with it...then its a very short trip to other interesting cities in North Carolina, such as Winston Salem, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Asheville, and Wilmington. If you are going to be there for a year...then I think you will find a weekend trip to these various cities to be a nice break.

well it seems that it is a nice place to live, close to mountains, ocean...!

I will just have to find a roomate to not getting bored!

And it also seems with all those anwers that people are nice, hopefully welcoming with strangers!!

Another thing, i saw different airports :

Greensboro/High Point (GSO)

Raleigh/Durham (RDU)

Which one is the best? the 2nd one is a bit cheaper...!

Thanks

And it also seems with all those anwers that people are nice, hopefully welcoming with strangers!!

Raleigh/Durham (RDU)

Thanks

Raleigh/Durham (RDU)

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

The Greensboro Airport is here on the outskirts of Greensboro so you can easily get transportation from the airport to downtown and it's about a 10 minute drive.

Raleigh is the state capital and is about 2-3 hours east of Greensboro. The airport is much bigger, has many more flight options, but it's farther away so I'm not sure how transportation is from Raleigh to Greensboro.

Charlotte is about 2 hours south of Greensboro. I don't know anything about the airport but imagine it's somewhere between the size of Greensboro's and Raleigh's.

As for living expenses- I'm a mother of 3 kids, we are a family of 5 and we live fine on $15,000 a year take home. We own our own home (4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, large front and back yards). Granted- we don't take vacations but that's more because we really don't want to go anywhere- we love it here. Like it was said before- the Atlantic ocean is 3/4 hours one way the mountains are 3/4 hours the other way. I'm taking my daughter's Girl Scout troop to Savannah Georga in July and that will be about a 5 hour drive (just into the state on the other side of South Carolina). Tennessee is just to our west and there are a lot of things to do there just a few hours away. And Virginia is to our north and there is a lot to do up there within a few hours drive. Washington DC is also relatively close- a lot of our schools drive up there for field trips. There really is a lot to do, both locally and within a few hours drive for a weekend get a way.

The colleges (Universitys) in town draw a lot of young people to the area. Even in the summer when school is out there are a lot of young people here. The city planner folks have been working hard to draw young people to the downtown area and it's worked. Just tonight I went through downtown and the place was full of people laughing and having fun. (I couldn't stop to join them because I was taking the kids home from a party they went to)

Churches of all faiths and congregation ages are NOT in short supply. The joke here is that there is a church on every corner, and sometimes it feels that way.

Everyone here is really friendly and outgoing. My parents live in Ohio and are shocked when they come to visit that everyone is so outgoing and friendly. They can't get used to people just striking up a conversation with a stranger while you're waiting in line. "Southern Hospitality" is alive and well in North Carolina.

We are a totally different cultural experience from other places in the states. We have a lot of ethnic diversity here too- because of all the colleges and large corporations that have offices here. We just got the Honda Jet World Headquarters here- a decision based on our community, school system, and everything the area has to offer their employees.

My husband and I have lived in other places and have discussed moving- but we really love it here and don't want to move.

Hope this has helped-

Archived