Chicago to get new US tallest

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing a tower from 50 miles away? That would be difficult It's hard enough trying to see the Michigan shoreline from the JH Observatory.

I guess test drilling has been done already for the Chicago Spire. Looks like the project is only a few short steps away.

• 1 month later...

Looks like there will finally be a connection across the river at ground level for pedestrians and cyclists. I nearly run over pedestrians on the bridge with my bike because the walkways are so narrow.

One thing though that bothers me about this image. It's a perpetuation of one trend in engineering, and the beginning of a new architecture.

The first, is the cable stay bridge. They were cool at first, and now they are becoming sort of annoying. It's not like the two tower suspension or arch bridges which can vary their design in many different ways. Cable stays all look the same. Either they have one tower or two. This bridge doesn't compliment the LSD bridge so when you look down the river at that nice balanced vista, you get some assymetrical mess, with that clunky-ass tower. I would have loved to see the new bridge be something slender and lightweight in appearance, almost as if it was floating over the river. I wish the developers and city would shoot for something different (I know this bridge is part of this project)

The second is the tower. I think a crapload of twisting towers are soon to follow. One is already going up in Dubai (although a flood has destroyed the construction site). I'm sure we will be seeing 100 hundred more of these with one in every city. Not that I have a problem with that. It's just something I noticed. Afterall, every city has boxy glass office buildings right?

The first, is the cable stay bridge. They were cool at first, and now they are becoming sort of annoying. It's not like the two tower suspension or arch bridges which can vary their design in many different ways. Cable stays all look the same.

The second is the tower. I think a crapload of twisting towers are soon to follow.

The second is the tower. I think a crapload of twisting towers are soon to follow. One is already going up in Dubai (although a flood has destroyed the construction site). I'm sure we will be seeing 100 hundred more of these with one in every city. Not that I have a problem with that. It's just something I noticed. Afterall, every city has boxy glass office buildings right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived