Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadVlad

Chicago to get new US tallest

35 posts in this topic

Sounds like Chicago will have a building to beat the height of Freedom Tower in New York. The Chicago Spire is to rise 2k ft, and looks very big, even for Chicago....

CNN

Wow! Thanks for posting the latest :thumbsup: I have seen this proposal before. The architecture is incredible with the vertical twisting. It sure looks very narrow. It will be interesting to watch this project unfold.

Seeing a tower from 50 miles away? That would be difficult It's hard enough trying to see the Michigan shoreline from the JH Observatory.

I guess test drilling has been done already for the Chicago Spire. Looks like the project is only a few short steps away.

That looks awesome, thanks for posting!

Couldn't think of a better city for this project.

It's a graceful shape overall...but honestly, the spiral look reminds me of this vibrator I saw once... :ph34r:

Either way though, it'd be great for Chicago to get the recognition it deserves, and this would certainly get it some attention.

That looks real cool. It looks like it should be going up in Dubai though. Great to see an American city planning on building a super tall building like this.

Here's a better pic of the Chicago Spire.

Chicago_Spire_only.jpg

That's an impressive looking design, but does it fit with the rest of Chicago?? I guess time will tell!

Looks like there will finally be a connection across the river at ground level for pedestrians and cyclists. I nearly run over pedestrians on the bridge with my bike because the walkways are so narrow.

One thing though that bothers me about this image. It's a perpetuation of one trend in engineering, and the beginning of a new architecture.

The first, is the cable stay bridge. They were cool at first, and now they are becoming sort of annoying. It's not like the two tower suspension or arch bridges which can vary their design in many different ways. Cable stays all look the same. Either they have one tower or two. This bridge doesn't compliment the LSD bridge so when you look down the river at that nice balanced vista, you get some assymetrical mess, with that clunky-ass tower. I would have loved to see the new bridge be something slender and lightweight in appearance, almost as if it was floating over the river. I wish the developers and city would shoot for something different (I know this bridge is part of this project)

The second is the tower. I think a crapload of twisting towers are soon to follow. One is already going up in Dubai (although a flood has destroyed the construction site). I'm sure we will be seeing 100 hundred more of these with one in every city. Not that I have a problem with that. It's just something I noticed. Afterall, every city has boxy glass office buildings right?

This does look cool. I'm sure they wanted to go above 2K Feet, but the Airforce won't allow it.

The first, is the cable stay bridge. They were cool at first, and now they are becoming sort of annoying. It's not like the two tower suspension or arch bridges which can vary their design in many different ways. Cable stays all look the same.

The second is the tower. I think a crapload of twisting towers are soon to follow.

The second is the tower. I think a crapload of twisting towers are soon to follow. One is already going up in Dubai (although a flood has destroyed the construction site). I'm sure we will be seeing 100 hundred more of these with one in every city. Not that I have a problem with that. It's just something I noticed. Afterall, every city has boxy glass office buildings right?

Ah yes, that's it. I knew there was one constructed awhile ago, but I couldn't remember where.

Dubai Infinity Tower is another one with this corkscrew Spiral design.

Yeah, I mentioned that one earlier, unfortunately the site flooded when the retaining wall broke.

The design looks great. That spire made it look kind of ugly.

Is that thing on the turning torso an automated window washer? Aren't those things supposed to be hidden within the mechanical penthouse of the building?....unless it's in operation.

I wonder if the CS will have one of these since it's so tall.

I believe the Spire is now officially under construction.

Turning Torso in Sweden has started that trend already.

Malmo-TurningTorso2005August15.jpg