Chicago to get new US tallest

Big thumbs down for me. I am offended that this type of architecture was even proposed in this city. We have such a deep respect for our architectural history, why build this modern building that would be better suited in Asia or something? Don't get me wrong, it's a great design, just not for Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go figure, its a Calatrava, it is nice though, but like his giant bridge in dallas that hasn't been started yet, planned to be started last year, his projects tend to be expensive and tedious to be approved. I think it would be cool to see, but doubt it will be built.

http://thechicagospire.com/

Sounds like Chicago will have a building to beat the height of Freedom Tower in New York. The Chicago Spire is to rise 2k ft, and looks very big, even for Chicago....

CNN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I mentioned this in the thread in the Chicago forum as well, but this is mostly in response to those who say it doesn't fit the architecture of or belong in Chicago. When seeing this panorama of the Chicago skyline of 1927, I am reminded of the Chicago Spire. Not for its twisting, but for its spire-shape. In my opinion, it is a bit of a revisitation of a former Chicago theme with a modern twist.

5252006Chicago-1927.jpg

Spires.. everywhere!

Archived