Real World Detroit Confirmed

detwaa84

Well, not officially. But I think it is.

I was visiting the beautiful Main North lofts in Downtown Royal Oak and asked the salesperson if the rumors of the Real World filming here were true. Her answer: a guaranteed yes. You probably know of this, but she said they have an office in the loft building and they are there for a reason -- to begin choosing a location and begin filming. Where? not in their building but across the street at the new three story condos. They currently have an open floor plan that will later be converted into 3 lofts after MTV leaves. When? 100% unknown. MTV only announces one location at a time, and this time it's Sydney.

Personally, I'm glad it's in Royal Oak. The city has much more to offer on a one mile street than all of Downtown Detroit and Midtown put together -- when it comes to restaurants, nightlife and walkalbility. That is unfortunate though, but true. This will show the MTV viewer world that NO other than Detroit is an energatic and cool town that is worth visiting (except when they come here, they won't find it). Other than us, everyone will think this is Detroit, and not some unknown suburb. Plus, who cares, can we just for once look beyond the imaginary borders that saparate us. It's all Detroit. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you kidding? Between Downtown, Midtown, and Rivertown, there are a lot more bars and clubs. Downtown Royal Oak has a few movie theaters, Detroit has the Ren Cen, but the DIA and other places play independent/artsy/foreign films. Music wise, downtown has several venues that attract big bands. Plus there's the three sports. Downtown Detroit has waaay more culture than Royal Oak, even if you take out the stuff that's too sophisticated for MTV (Opera, Symphony, etc.).

Plus, the fact that they're in Downtown Detroit creates a lot more drama for the show than downtown Royal Oak.

That said, Royal Oak is a great place, and I think it will act as an important anchor (like it's already doing) for the region, but it's not as good as downtown.

But yeah, for the function of the show, it doesn't matter. They'll live someplace, and go to the events all over the metro. I'd just rather have it downtown so that when they show the building, it looks more impressive. Having a place at the Book Cadillac, or one of the lofts on woodward, vs. Royal Oak.

But how does that sales person know what's going on? She's not any more of an insider than I am, she just happens to be selling condos across the street. She probably read about the same rumor everyone else did. And of course, she trying to sell you Royal Oak along with the condo.

When this came up a while ago, I'm pretty sure the rumor was debunked. I forgot exactly how, but it was. That doesn't mean that there won't be one here, it just means that just because they have an office doesn't mean they're having the show. I do think it would be really cool to have one here though. I might actually watch the show for once if it happens here.

Wasn't this exactly what we heard last year. It's almost eerily similar. Someone announces Real World is coming to Detroit. They then say it's not a done deal. We speculate for months. The rumors turn out not to be true. Perhaps, it's best to wait until something is actually confirmed.

The last rumor about real world was that it was going to be in Detroit during the superbowl. That obviously didn't turn out to be the case. But they still have an office in town and for what other reason in the world would they do so. I don't wanna keep speculating, and I will wait just as Lmich said, but I think that it is a done deal but not officially annouced yet, since they never announce them until right before they air and not when they start filming. Now, I'm surprised they haven't gone to Toronto, Orlando, or Baghdad yet. ;)

Wasn't this exactly what we heard last year. It's almost eerily similar. Someone announces Real World is coming to Detroit. They then say it's not a done deal. We speculate for months. The rumors turn out not to be true. Perhaps, it's best to wait until something is actually confirmed.

Once again, no, this is not exactly what happened last year. Last time it was rumored that the Real World might either be filmed or the real world cast from another city would be visting the city for the SuperBowl. That didn't turn out to be the case, obviously. MTV is still here and they don't seem to be going anywhere.

I visit Royal Oak with friends every weekend, and it's pretty much known that The Real World is in town. I've spoken to several residents from the Main North Lofts, visitors and restaurant employees who have said they have seen MTV staff roaming their streets and businessess and telling them the news. Plus the salesperson, which is a must closer insider than whatever started this last year, told me the Real World WILL be in town (no no.. that they ARE in town).

Try spending some time in RO and you'll hear all the simular views from all the people. I don't think it's difficult for the info to be leaked from MTV employees to the residents of the lofts or other visitors and/or employees. It's just a rumor because it's not officially announced, and it won't be until the year it will be aired. Now, I don't wanna drag this even further and annoy the hell out of ya'll, but I will be visiting the MTV office later on to try to prove to you that this is a fact, not some repeated joke from last year. Until then, keep pretending this isn't happening. :)

No, this is the same. MTV crews staked out RO back in 2005, too.

No one is pretending this isn't happening. For that to happen, it would actually have to be confirmed that there were plans for this to happen. Your title is deceiving at best. Until it's confirmed, it's not confirmed.

The salesperson and all of the other people in Royal Oak are not insiders. Not any more than I am. Just because they work across the street, or live in the area, doesn't mean that they know anything.

And all of those people think that the Real World is coming, because they heard the same rumor everyone else has. Just because they live, work or play in Royal Oak doesn't mean that they are insiders either.

A salesperson from Kales can't confirm that Quicken is going to the Statler block.

Some guy from a baseball game can't confirm that the new Hockey Arena is going behind the Fox.

A bunch of random people from Royal Oak can't confirm that the Real World will be there.

The people who you'll be talking to at MTV (a secretary?) have probably been told what to say if someone asks that question, so you'll probably get some PR response. If you do actually talk to an insider, and they tell you they're coming, they're trusting you not to leak the information, and you'd have to pretend you didn't hear anything anyway.

ok well unlike everyone else, i say why wouldnt they come here? they have gone to every other city in this country you can think of. its not like their gonna do REAL WORLD WEST BLOOMFIELD. because im guessing no one who lives outside michigan knows where that is. so i think detroit does have a chance of coming and if theres this many rumors and talks about it , theres a good chance. All we need from Mtv now is an actual CONFRIMATION or ANNOUNCMENT

Why would it be a blow? MTV doesn't owe Detroit anything, and there are a number of large US cities they haven't filmed in yet.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be kind of cool for Detroit to have a Real World. (Actually, I don't care... I don't watch the show.) But I'm not sure I understand why them not choosing Detroit would be a blow to the city. :dontknow:

Ultimately it doesn't really matter whether or not they film in the Detroit area, though I do think it is a shame that the media rarely looks to Detroit. It reminds me of that version of Monopoly that came out last year where they featured different landmarks from 12 or so different cities and Detroit wasn't even a choice. They had cities such as Dallas and Denver but no Detroit.

When more Jewish people call Detroit home, and Jewish investors/politicians leave their mark on the city, then the Jewish-controlled media will view Detroit like NYC is viewed today. Everything is about NYC, haven't you noticed, ever since Rudy turned it into America's safest, best big city, and as bloomberg is continuing that effort. Unfortunatly it's all about race. Detoit is an impovrished African American city with strong ties to NOI, which doesn't help matters.......such a shame.

When more Jewish people call Detroit home, and Jewish investors/politicians leave their mark on the city, then the Jewish-controlled media will view Detroit like NYC is viewed today. Everything is about NYC, haven't you noticed, ever since Rudy turned it into America's safest, best big city, and as bloomberg is continuing that effort. Unfortunatly it's all about race. Detoit is an impovrished African American city with strong ties to NOI, which doesn't help matters.......such a shame.

Archived