CVS HDQ and living in Woonsocket

crossroad

Hi All,

I'm new here... My sister is consider a job offer with CVS store support center in Woonsocket RI, as a senior marketing analyst.

She wonders whether anyone happens to know:

1. Is CVS a great company to work for?

2. How's living in Woonsocket RI? Is it rural, high-crime at all?

3. Are employees treated well?

Thanks a lot!

Brett

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi All,

I'm new here... My sister is consider a job offer with CVS store support center in Woonsocket RI, as a senior marketing analyst.

Thanks a lot!

Brett

2 things, you can live in just about anywhere RI and be only 45 minutes from the CVS HQ in the highland industrial park.

RLucas83 is originally from that area, I'd weigh his opinions pretty heavily...

oh make it 3, I've heard CVS is a good company to work for - nothing out of this world, but never heard anything negative.

2 things, you can live in just about anywhere RI and be only 45 minutes from the CVS HQ in the highland industrial park.

RLucas83 is originally from that area, I'd weigh his opinions pretty heavily...

oh make it 3, I've heard CVS is a good company to work for - nothing out of this world, but never heard anything negative.

I havent hears much bad about working at CVS, but I havent heard much good either. Most of the people I know who have worked there were just as temps and not actual emplyees. On the entry level it/support end of things they seem to use temps a lot.

As far as Woonsocket goes - I grew up there and I know it very well. I find it to be an extremely depressing place. CVS is on the very edge of the city near cumberland and lincoln, so its petty removed from the rest of the city. The city as a whole is a dead milltown that for the past 15-20 years has been proclaiming its rebirth, even as it slides deeper and deeper into depression. When I was a kid the downtown/mainstreet area was dying off, but the 50's urban renewal area adjacent to it (Social Flatlands) was busy and a happening place to be. Now both Main Street and Social are dead. It tends to be a very poor, uneducated city that is stuck in ts ways and highly resistant to change. The school system is mediocre to poor, with the Middle School being perhaps the worst public school in the state.

The upsides - Housing prices are generally lower than the rest of the state, and there is some great housing stock. The North End is a beautiful neighborhood of mostly Victorians and some great Tudor Mansions. WONDERFUL houses, and a lot of them sell cheap. If you dont mind driving out of Woonsocket for shopping/entertainment/school, it really could be a nice place to live. East woonsocket is the neighborhood closer to where CVS is located. It is a pretty generic suburban neighborhood with a lot of ranches and small capes. Perfectly decent and unremarkable. Unfortunately due to being closer to CVS, the housing prices here arent much of a bargain. Its not expensive, but you arent getting any deals.

Overall due to the small size of the state you can really live anyhwhere in RI without too bad of a commute. If you are looking for something suburban, Cumberland or Lincoln are just fine. North Smithfield and Smithfield are fine too. If you are looking for something Urban, Providence is no more than 20mins away and there is a lot to see and do here for a small city.

I LOVE Woonsocket's housing stock. My friend has a 3rd/4th floor apartment in a huge victorian with amazing views up on a hill, complete with metal spiral staircases and beautiful round window sets. The river is nice too now that they've opened up some landings to it.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot!

Brett

I love Woonsocket! The style of the homes, from the single family homes to the multi-families, are designed differently than the ones just south closer to Providence. There is this grander feeling with the wider hallways and wraparound porches. I'm no expert in the style of architecture but it resembles the housing in Worcester moreso than RI.

As far as livability is concerned, Woonsocket is just as multiculturally mixed as Pvd with a growing Latino and Asian population. The abundant mills add character and define it as a fairly typical smaller urban enclave within New England. If you prefer urban or semi-urban areas, Woonsocket is definitely an area that you should keep on the horizon. Not only is the housing less expensive but also you won't have to deal with the riffraff (overall crime and quality of life issues) that is often associated with the cities in Pvd metro. ( Pvd, Pawtucket, CF)

Thanks everyone.

1. If live in Providence, how's commute to Woonsocket? Esp. in winter and snow stuff? We heard there is almost zero public transportation from Pvd to where CVS is... is this true?

2. MikeR, thanks for your input. Do you think that things have at least improved since 1995?

3. How stable is this company? Has there been any layoff?

4. Are there many professional/business jobs in Pvd area if one is seeking?

Thanks again for your help!

Brett

Yeah, there's no bus that directly serves CVS. You can take the 54 to downtown Woonsocket from Providence, but that's it. All of Woonsocket is in a "flex zone" though, meaning you can call RIPTA and reserve a ride to downtown Woonsocket to get on the bus to Providence.

Thanks everyone.

1. If live in Providence, how's commute to Woonsocket? Esp. in winter and snow stuff? We heard there is almost zero public transportation from Pvd to where CVS is... is this true?

2. MikeR, thanks for your input. Do you think that things have at least improved since 1995?

3. How stable is this company? Has there been any layoff?

4. Are there many professional/business jobs in Pvd area if one is seeking?

Thanks again for your help!

Brett

• 1 year later...

Archived