4. Houston

5. Nashville, Tenn.

6. Dallas

7. Charlotte, N.C.

8. Indianapolis

9. Columbus, Ohio

10. Jacksonville, Fla.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS01/704210317

Where's Detroit? Ask Kwame Kilpatrick. Kilpatrick believes that Detorit will make the list in 2010. That means don't expect many changes then, because the city was on the list a few years ago anyways, at number 6. So what exactly are we expecting in 2010?

None of those cities listed above are "African American" cities, they are diverse, thriving cities -- something Detroit needs to be to continiously make the list. Our politicians continue to ignore the non-blacks and think that the city is meant to be African American and that that's the only way it can thrive. Does that include our mayor though? Has there been any studies that show the future of Detroit's race statistics?

Detroit will truly experience a renaissance when people of all races, cultures and religions live together. I'm sorry to sound this way, but that probably won't happen in our lifetime.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best Places to live for African Americans:

1. Washington, D.C.

2. Atlanta

3. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

4. Houston

5. Nashville, Tenn.

6. Dallas

7. Charlotte, N.C.

8. Indianapolis

9. Columbus, Ohio

10. Jacksonville, Fla.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS01/704210317

Where's Detroit? Ask Kwame Kilpatrick. Kilpatrick believes that Detorit will make the list in 2010. That means don't expect many changes then, because the city was on the list a few years ago anyways, at number 6. So what exactly are we expecting in 2010?

None of those cities listed above are "African American" cities, they are diverse, thriving cities -- something Detroit needs to be to continiously make the list. Our politicians continue to ignore the non-blacks and think that the city is meant to be African American and that that's the only way it can thrive. Does that include our mayor though? Has there been any studies that show the future of Detroit's race statistics?

Detroit will truly experience a renaissance when people of all races, cultures and religions live together. I'm sorry to sound this way, but that probably won't happen in our lifetime.

What I don't understand is why was Detroit number 6 in 04 and off the scale this year. I agree that low unemployement, low crime, etc are all musts for a city to be truly livable for ALL races. But what was there in 2004 that isn't here now. In fact I would think that now is better than 3 years ago, since we all admit Detroit has seen imporvement over the years.

Probably because these lists are about as respectable and accurate as the "Healthiest City" of "Most Dangerous City/Safest City" list. In other wods, not very respectable or accurate. I stopped taking much stock in these magazine rankings long ago when I found out how bogus many of them are. In fact, I think the Morgan Quito (or whatver its called) list of safest and most dangerous cities admitted to be largely bogus and made for publicity reasons more than anything else.

I suspect they may be using different criteria than years past, or a few cities improved at a much greater rate than Detroit. At the end of the day, I don't really care. lol

And also, someone once on this site or DetroitYes said that yahoo.com ranked Detroit as the best place to live this year. I couldn't find the list, but I'll try to find where it was said. If yahoo ranks it best, why can't this magazine. Whatever.

Yeah, they might have changed how they calculated it. Also, Detroit is still getting worse and worse. The greater downtown area is improving, but the rest isn't. Those other cities could very easily be improving.

The yahoo thing was just an advertisement if I recall right.

Detroit is one of the most affordable cities to live in though, which I think is cool.

Affordable because a modest houses doesn't cost $500,000 like it would in California. Or because there are places downtown and midtown that normal people can afford. The suburbs are generally affordable. People can come to Detroit and have freedom.

Archived