1.1 Billion Dollar Theme Park in Newton County

slyder1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally the rumor has ended... It's not Disney's or at least for now.

After rumors flew last week that Disney was planning to build a $1.1 billion theme park in the area, Presiding Commissioner Jerry Carter got the word Monday that, as he put it, it's "shenanigans."

"I just talked to the vice president of public affairs for Disney, and she said there's nothing to it," Carter said.

Carter said Disney officials didn't recognize the names of any of the three owners of ARM Risk, the company supposedly working to assemble the 1,000 acres of land.

"(Disney) can say absolutely that they're not involved in Newton County or in southwest Missouri," Carter said.

Looks like the name for the planned theme park in SW Missouri will be "Balderdash!" I like it. Sounds like the name of a really fast roller coaster which I'm sure will be included in the park's 27 rides. Thanks to Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, for coming up with the name in this article realeased yesterday:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/neosho_newton_m..._114223811.html

Looks like the name for the planned theme park in SW Missouri will be "Balderdash!" I like it. Sounds like the name of a really fast roller coaster which I'm sure will be included in the park's 27 rides. Thanks to Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, for coming up with the name in this article realeased yesterday:

Sorry to be late to the conversation, but regarding the "will Disney locate here despite the colder weather" question, the company already has a precedent for that mistake.

Disneyland Paris (formerly Euro Disney) was located immediately outside of Paris. Sounds like a good idea - Large population base, access to major APO, etc.

Turned out to be a bad idea. The Paris region is too far north for most people who vacation in France. The park suffered low numbers because of cold weather & snow. Disney had never operated a park in a snow-bound region before, so the park was unprepared for such weather.

Hence why Euro Disney was recreated as Disneyland Paris -- after a refit to adjust to the cooler climate much of the year. I'm not lookint at a map, but Paris is probably somewhere near the same parallel that runs through south or central Missouri. Just a guess.

So, I would venture to say Disney will never build a park this far north in the US.

Sorry to be late to the conversation, but regarding the "will Disney locate here despite the colder weather" question, the company already has a precedent for that mistake.

Disneyland Paris (formerly Euro Disney) was located immediately outside of Paris. Sounds like a good idea - Large population base, access to major APO, etc.

Turned out to be a bad idea. The Paris region is too far north for most people who vacation in France. The park suffered low numbers because of cold weather & snow. Disney had never operated a park in a snow-bound region before, so the park was unprepared for such weather.

Hence why Euro Disney was recreated as Disneyland Paris -- after a refit to adjust to the cooler climate much of the year. I'm not lookint at a map, but Paris is probably somewhere near the same parallel that runs through south or central Missouri. Just a guess.

So, I would venture to say Disney will never build a park this far north in the US.

As interesting as an amusment/theme park would be, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, at least not on a major level. Certainly not a billion dollar level. It'd be nice to have something like Dogpatch open up nearby though... Neat little place with ownership issues, and it could bring it at least "local" (surrounding states) tourism, I bet.

Paris is more temperate than we are here even. They don't usually get as hot or cold. They also average less precip than our nearly 45 inches. They are closer to the climate of NW US with much less rain. Paris averages less than a foot of snow per year which is what NW Arkansas averages.

So climate would really play a part for this theme park.

I think you may have misread the article, masonsdad. Balderdash is not the name of the park. Balderdash is the exclamation made by Mr. Speigel, and it means "nonsense". Mr. Speigel was saying no one in their right mind would be looking at this area for a theme park. Or maybe you knew that and were joking......? I don't always catch sarcasm.... :unsure:

The North Atlantic Current carries warm water from the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean up to Western Europe and keeps temperatures there much warmer than they would otherwise be.

For instance, Rome has a climate similar to Southern California but is at the same latitude as Boston.

If there's one county I don't care to hear about developments coming it's Newton County. Why not do something in say Madison County. It's closer to our metro. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but I'd rather see most of Newton County get turned into a Natl Park or something along those lines.

If there's one county I don't care to hear about developments coming it's Newton County. Why not do something in say Madison County. It's closer to our metro. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but I'd rather see most of Newton County get turned into a Natl Park or something along those lines.

Archived