Berlin - Part two

Ronald

Let's take a closer look at transportation in Berlin.

The airport where we landed. This is Berlin-Tegel. The city has 2 other airports (Schoenefeld & Tempelhof), and another one is under construction (Berlin-Brandenburg International). I found this airport to be rather dull, but maybe that's because I am spoiled, with Schiphol being my 'home airport'.

IMG_0841.jpg

For local transportation, Berliners use the S-bahn (elevated rail lines) and the U-bahn (subway lines). The two of them form an integrated network of urban rail, that enables you to get pretty much anywhere in the city, fast!

germany-berlin-2.gif

U-bahn station Bismarckstrasse.

IMG_0867.jpg

The train departs again, from the Potsdamer Platz U-bahn station.

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

U-bahn station 'Stadtmitte'

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Taken directly after the doors opened, even before people disembarked the trains :)

IMG_1224.jpg

S-bahn station Nollendorfplatz

IMG_1225.jpg

How the station is integrated in the local streets

IMG_1226.jpg

Inside an S-bahn vehicle.

IMG_1227.jpg

S-bahn station Savignyplatz at night.

IMG_1005.jpg

In the former eastern section of Berlin, there is an extensive networks of trams, which complements the already extensive S- and U-bahn network. These pictures were taken at Alexanderplatz.

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

The Alexanderplatz station, where U-bahn, S-bahn, and local tramlines intersect.

IMG_1231.jpg

Potsdamer Platz' railway station (for regional/ national traffic) was built underground.

IMG_0934.jpg

Can't believe how clean everything was! If only Rotterdam was more like this.

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Now let's see some pics of the interior of the Lehrter Bahnhof! Dare I say that it is the most magnificent station in the world?

Bombardier (originally from Montreal) makes trainvehicles for the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (the transit company of Berlin). In the front of the picture, one of their trains can be seen. Bombardier nowadays has their management office in Berlin.

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

This is where you arrive when you enter the station via the main entrance.

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This picture should give you a good idea of how the station was built-up: regional/ national lines all the way underground, then 3 layers of shops/ restaurants etc., then on top of it all, both local lines (the S- and U-bahn) and ICE (national/ regional lines) arrive at platforms that are situated from east to west, where as the platforms underground run from north to south.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

The platforms that are situated underground.

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Shops.

IMG_0997.jpg

There's more ways of getting around in Berlin than just urban rail. You can grab a bicycle-taxi, for instance.

IMG_1043.jpg

Because of the graffity epidemic that has been enhancing Berlin's streetscapes for decades, small private companies try to be ahead of graffity artists by painting their own cars.

Bas, for all your fruit and vegetable needs.

IMG_1013.jpg

The courrier.

IMG_1141.jpg

I hope I have shown you that, in my eyes, Berlin has the perfect urban rail network. It's an example of very well thought-out transportation planning.

That's it for part two, I will post one more thread about general pictures shortly.

Wow! Great tour. That multi-level station is incredible. It puts many American airports to shame.

There is a great scene in the film "Bourne Supremacy" that features the tram that rides across Alexanderplatz.

Also, I was doing some research on this station about a month ago and stumbled on this interesting video of all the different transportation modes coming together (in fast motion) at Alexanderplatz:

Thanks for the video! Very interresting indeed.

Besides cars, there's lots of pedestrians, local tramlines and municipal S-bahn trains and regional trains at the station.

I think that the multi-level trainstation puts many airports worldwide to shame ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Antoher very interesting thread! Thanks so much for taking the time to put these three great pic threads together for us! I know it takes some time to put them together. Very cool pics of a very cool city.

Archived