Future of Puerto Rico?

mgk920

The USA's Congress is again taking up the issue of the status of Puerto Rico. Unlike prior times, this time the referendum that would come out of this would involve a two-step format (unlike the indecisive three-choice votes in the past) where the first question would likely be "Continue the current commonwealth/territory status - YES/NO?" If that comes out 'YES', then things will remain as they are for the forseeable future. Should the 'NOs' prevail (and I fully expect that one to be razor-close), then a few months later a second vote would be held with the question: "FULL USA STATEHOOD/INDEPENDENCE?". The latter would likely go for statehood in a 90-95% landslide.

Any thoughts? (I'll chime in later with some of mine)

:dunno:

Mike

• 2 years later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Puerto Rico would want statehood, nor would they want independence. Every time I go to Ponce people realize that without being a US territory they would lose a lot of services. However, many people still believe that if they became a full fledged US state then they would lose their cultural identity. So my guess would be they would stay as a territory, if not indefinitely than for a long time after I am dead.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived