Mobile Area Roads and Highways

Southron

But what could make the Northern route work.....which is done in other cities...during peak traffic hours or times of traffic jams they could create a detour at I-10 and I-65 and force people to take the 9 mile extension on the Northern route. Plus the on ramps from water street will be closed anyways. But there should be a bridge from the cochran bridge to I-10.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know it is done in other cities and works great in those places. I believe Knoxville does it.....I'm not sure though. But a lot of the bigger cities do. The Northern route really isn't that bad to take especially since they would widen I 65 to handle the extra traffic. I think that is our best answer.

They have the right of ways to widen it. I guess some of the service roads will just have to be underneath the bridges and third lane. They have been planning the widening anyways for a while. Plus they would have to upgrade the interchange at I-65 and I-10 to handle the increase in the flow of traffic. They have also been talking about adding an interchange at cottage hill since the late 80s. So this would be the perfect time.

Archived