Charlotte Congestion Charge?

monsoon

Charlotte Congestion Charge?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should Charlotte impose a congestion charge to encourage mass transit usage?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is ther e the political will here to do it?

• Yes
    • No

I definitely agree with the revenue neutral stance. I would actually prefer them take it from the gas tax, which is roughly a tax on how much people drive already. They could then make it based on mileage, with a higher rate for going over expensive projects like river bridges and for congested roadways, and with lower rates going for rural roads and less congested roads.

I'm sure everyone would cry big brother to have a gps chip tallying it all up and being charged at the point of each inspection. But most of that info is already in their cars anyway, and as long as there were protections against location information from being stored, I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congestion charges have only been put in place in places like London, Singapore, Stockholm- because there are huge economies of scale able to be gained by switching to transit, walking, and cycling. Charlotte is simply not there yet.

Regardless of political tenability, if we wanted to most effectively encourage transit use to reduce congestion and air quality, we would raise the gasoline tax and use the proceeds to speed up the construction of Charlotte's other transit lines, and build them all as electrified rail except for the commuter rail.

Car registration fees being graduated by weight and by price would also be appropriate, with a vehicle like the Hummer H2 receiving a registration fee of over $500 - $1000 per year. California is moving in this direction.

Then we would start tolling freeways in Charlotte to pay for upkeep, provide priority lane for buses, vanpools, and carpools.

I am not sure about all of these places but I don't think they have air that is as dirty as Chalotte's in the summer. While this isn't a world class city, it does have world class air pollution. The reason for putting in the congestiong charge is to get some cars off the road to reduce pollution, not because there is lack of roads and/or parking space.

I'm all for a tax break/credit for those that live closer or even in Uptown (like I will be next month)! That way people are using less gas and not driving as far, the mass transit will be more of a likely option, and may spur more growth in those areas.

I can only dream though. Still wishing I decided to study urban planning/development over my past 4 years.

Thanks,

MJFHokie

As head into the summer, we all know this means that Charlotte starts to choke on its own filthy air again, much of it produced by automobiles that people are driving to work. The car exhaust gasses mixed with the high air temps and our unfortunately air inversion problems casts a grey haze over the city that lasts for most of the summer. The city has said that it is serious about doing something to address the issue, but so far I have not seen them take much action. If more people used mass transit it should certainly help with the problem.

So I propose they impose a congestion charge (or air pollution charge) for any car that crosses into the inner loop during business hours. Maybe it should be $5.00 car for cars with one person, $2.50 if 2 or more are in the car, free for vehicles that qualify for certain energy conservation credits. Is this a good idea, or would it make Charlotte's pro-business community become unglued with outrage.

There are already transit subsidies available from the major uptown employers. I use it, and as far as I'm concerned... I get to work and back so cheaply, I think of it as practically for free.

The problem is that people are mentally wedded to auto travel, and the "politically incorrect" aspect, of avoiding rubbing shoulders with the poor. If gas was $6 a gallon I think many suburbanites would find a way to ride share with other auto drivers, before they'd take a bus.

No, an employment tax on everyone who works in Mecklenburg County, but lives outside its borders. As an example, I work in the City of Philadelphia and pay the city $1.00 per pay period to have a job there. I use Philly streets, mass transit, and am protected by its police/fire/rescue; I am expected to foot some of the bill because although I don't pay property taxes there, I use its services.

Do y'all really think that a charge of a buck fifty would push buisnesses out of town? It is only charged to those who don't live in the city. I certainly understand why Philadelphia charges me. I don't live there, but I use its roads, water, sewer, and depend on the fact that if (God forbid) I ever get in an accident, am a victim of crime, or am in a building fire, that the city's EMTs, police, and fire departments will all be there for me. I really don't think they have asked too much of me.

I am not completely against the concept, but voted 'No' as it was proposed. $5 a day (about $1200 a year) is a huge amount to tax a very finite group of people - and arbitrarilly placing a boundary around the 277 loop would just result in people getting pi$$ed off.

Do y'all really think that a charge of a buck fifty would push buisnesses out of town? It is only charged to those who don't live in the city. I certainly understand why Philadelphia charges me. I don't live there, but I use its roads, water, sewer, and depend on the fact that if (God forbid) I ever get in an accident, am a victim of crime, or am in a building fire, that the city's EMTs, police, and fire departments will all be there for me. I really don't think they have asked too much of me.

Archived