Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolverine

UMMA / (Skanska) Construction Site

10 posts in this topic

A Massive hole has been dug for the museum expansion. I didn't realize it was going to be so big! if i had my camera I would have taken pics, but it looks like this expansion is going to be a lot bigger than I thought.

I'll have to make it over there one of these days and take a look. I'm still not sure what I think about the placement of the addition. Not that there's really anywhere else to put it.

I couldn't really find a good vantage point, but here are a few progress shots:

1002718tx3.jpg

1002720cm5.jpg

1002721kq6.jpg

I like the look of this. I guess the basement will be used for gallery space as well?

I was going to ask the same question, but upon further reflection, it seems like museums always need more storage space. So I would guess perhaps a combination of exhibit space and storage. It looks like the ceilings down there are going to be pretty tall.

Does the expansion completely block off any chance of walking between UMMA and Angell Hall to get to the Diag?

Does the expansion completely block off any chance of walking between UMMA and Angell Hall to get to the Diag?

Poor Tappan Hall will be even more buried now behind all these other buildings. It's actually quite important - the last remaining structure of the red brick campus. The president's house is the oldest, however.

For those of us not familiar with the area, what exactly is the UMMA? I assume it's the University of Michigan Something Something, but that's about it. :)

For those of us not familiar with the area, what exactly is the UMMA? I assume it's the University of Michigan Something Something, but that's about it. :)