Piper

Florida

Should Charley endorse?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gov. Crist endorse a Florida City for the Piper site selection?

• Yes. He needs to pick a City that is BEST suited for this company.
    • No. He's the Governor of the state and should refrain from choosing one city over the other.
    • Crist's opinion doesn't matter in the selection of the site.

^ The Albuquerque package does look very good. They seem to be really aggressive out there. I tried to find some discussion about this project on their local thread but New Mexico isn't represented on U/P.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PIPER SITE SELECTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

5:00 P.M., May 9, 2007

PIPER SITE SELECTION

The following statement can be directly attributed to

Steve Johnston, Director, Human Resources, Piper Aircraft, Inc.

We view today

• 2 weeks later...

City proposes $80 million offer to lure aircraft plant

Julian Pecquet

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

The City of Tallahassee's economic development staff has proposed spending $80 million to lure aircraft company Piper Aircraft to Tallahassee.

The money would pay for 593,000 square feet of manufacturing space and 122,000 square feet of corporate office space at the airport.

Piper, based in Vero Beach, is looking at expanding and possibly relocating as it starts working on a new single-engine jet. It could bring as many as 1,500 jobs to Tallahassee, according to the city.

Other cities in the running are: Vero Beach; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Oklahoma City; and Columbia, South Carolina.

City staff will seek preliminary approval from city commissioners Wednesday before forwarding the proposal to Piper's consultant for consideration.

Commissioners' approval will again be sought if Tallahassee's bid is victorious.

City proposes $80 million offer to lure aircraft plant

Julian Pecquet

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

The City of Tallahassee's economic development staff has proposed spending $80 million to lure aircraft company Piper Aircraft to Tallahassee.

The money would pay for 593,000 square feet of manufacturing space and 122,000 square feet of corporate office space at the airport.

Piper, based in Vero Beach, is looking at expanding and possibly relocating as it starts working on a new single-engine jet. It could bring as many as 1,500 jobs to Tallahassee, according to the city.

Other cities in the running are: Vero Beach; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Oklahoma City; and Columbia, South Carolina.

City staff will seek preliminary approval from city commissioners Wednesday before forwarding the proposal to Piper's consultant for consideration.

Commissioners' approval will again be sought if Tallahassee's bid is victorious.

Good news ! Thanks for the update!

Were you at that meeting? If so did you get a feel for how those at EDC (specifically Bill Law) felt about our chances? I know they would not come right out and say something like that directly, but sometimes when you are at a meeting or even watching it on TV, you can get a feel for things that you don't from the media.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to be a pessimist about this but I think Tallahassee is going to get outgunned in this. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'll believe the company will come when it's alread here. I've seen Tallahassee lose too many big business over the many years I've lived here. :unsure:

Well you're not alone in having seen Tallahassee lose out on some opportunities, so have I. Yet I remain optimistic about things just because of the fact that I love Tallahassee above all other cities and I want the best for her. She may not get it, but I'm not going to concede until the plant opens doors in another city.

You're right. A lot needs to change in this community for us to get where were trying to go. Stacey on the Tallahassee Democrat pages speaks very eloquently about our loss in this Piper effort. She cites some knowledge from Richard Florida's Rise of the Creative Class book in stating that companies are chasing people these days and not the other way around. This means basically, the more unique and powerful your population, the better you are at attracting these companies. That said, it would seem we need to do more to attract people to this region. Give them reasons to want to live in Tallahassee and the companies will follow.

Publishing as much information on UrbanPlanet as I have since I joined this site, it has been my intent to show the good of Tallahassee and to educate and remind people of those things many of us locally take for granted, but things that outsiders would consider assets -- things we could build upon as we continue to grow. I think at the last Mayor's economic summit they were on to something in proposing "Eco-Tourism" for this region. I think it's smart that we've started developing toward the Gulf coast, after all this is still Florida and people still want to be near the water.

Yet more needs to be done not only by our local government, but local investors and companies to attract and retain talent in this community. Beautification efforts must become more of a priority than they are currently. This means emphasis on building design, streetscapes, and landscaping. Keeping Tallahassee and Leon County's streets clean. Maintaining and enhancing the quality of our schools. These are things we can control and things that will ultimately get the attention of prospective residents.

Just my 2 cents.

You're right. A lot needs to change in this community for us to get where were trying to go. Stacey on the Tallahassee Democrat pages speaks very eloquently about our loss in this Piper effort. She cites some knowledge from Richard Florida's Rise of the Creative Class book in stating that companies are chasing people these days and not the other way around. This means basically, the more unique and powerful your population, the better you are at attracting these companies. That said, it would seem we need to do more to attract people to this region. Give them reasons to want to live in Tallahassee and the companies will follow.

Publishing as much information on UrbanPlanet as I have since I joined this site, it has been my intent to show the good of Tallahassee and to educate and remind people of those things many of us locally take for granted, but things that outsiders would consider assets -- things we could build upon as we continue to grow. I think at the last Mayor's economic summit they were on to something in proposing "Eco-Tourism" for this region. I think it's smart that we've started developing toward the Gulf coast, after all this is still Florida and people still want to be near the water.

Yet more needs to be done not only by our local government, but local investors and companies to attract and retain talent in this community. Beautification efforts must become more of a priority than they are currently. This means emphasis on building design, streetscapes, and landscaping. Keeping Tallahassee and Leon County's streets clean. Maintaining and enhancing the quality of our schools. These are things we can control and things that will ultimately get the attention of prospective residents.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry to say this but unless something drastically changes in this area, I can't see Tallahassee nor Leon County attracting big business to the region. I know my POV isn't popular but this area's government just has never been up to the task of attracting the businesses that would elevate Tallahassee and Leon County to the next level (whatever that may be). Also the very powerful anti-growth folks seem to quietly sabatoge a lot of it behind the scenes from what I keep hearing.

Archived