Piper

Florida

Should Charley endorse?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gov. Crist endorse a Florida City for the Piper site selection?

• Yes. He needs to pick a City that is BEST suited for this company.
    • No. He's the Governor of the state and should refrain from choosing one city over the other.
    • Crist's opinion doesn't matter in the selection of the site.

Yet more needs to be done not only by our local government, but local investors and companies to attract and retain talent in this community. Beautification efforts must become more of a priority than they are currently. This means emphasis on building design, streetscapes, and landscaping. Keeping Tallahassee and Leon County's streets clean. Maintaining and enhancing the quality of our schools. These are things we can control and things that will ultimately get the attention of prospective residents.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Well we can just accept this status quo and complain about it or we can get involved and be a catalyst for change. UP Tally w/leadership from TJ has been a great way to start these ideas and discussion along w/several others like Stacey's blog. Now we just need to get involved and take it "to the real world." It can be as simple as not accepting the status quo in talks w/your neighbors etc. to actually getting on boards and groups that work to make this change happen. Most of the people I know are educated folks in town, many that have moved here from elsewhere and want a positive change in the community....smart growth.

I don't know which is worse, those that stand in the way of changes (NIMBY's & the influential folks in town that don't want change) or those that want it but just shrug and say it's this way and there's nothing we can do about it.

I agree Poonther.

It's almost as if that second group you mentioned, the group of shruggs, do more harm than the NIMBY's and Anti-Growth Strong holders. Their negative attitude can be infectious. These are the people we need leading our charge for change.

^ Now we just need to get involved and take it "to the real world." It can be as simple as not accepting the status quo in talks w/your neighbors etc. to actually getting on boards and groups that work to make this change happen.

I cannot agree enough with this statement!

A lot of Tally residents dismiss their fair city solely on ignorance. I try to spread the word as much as possible about upcoming projects and info about new businesses (restaurants, retail). The response is always "Wow, I didn't know that...that's great news! Tally definitely needed (insert business name here)!" I don't take credit for it and always reference Urban Planet mostly because their next questions is "How did you know that?"

When someone disses Tally (usually trying to compare it to a city much much larger than Tally), I immediatly put on the kabosh and challenge their statement. People usually end up saying they actually like Tally but there is always that BUT. I think its important to discuss that BUT in an intelligent informed way. Usually, people end up coming out more positive to Tally when their perspective is challenged or enlightned.

People can tend to fall into the status quo because they have their own lives to live and often forget that getting personally involved in their own community will benefit them through their quality of life and enjoyment of Tally.

Great statement. I'm very much an AiT. I'm constantly having to tell people about what is "soon to be" on this corner and that. I love doing it. I also enjoy overcoming the objections people have about our city.

Perhaps we need a shakeup at the Chamber of Commerce?

Very sad we lost this but hopefully all that was done helps us to be better prepared for the next possible opportunity. Like some of you others, I hate when neighbors, co-workers, etc. complain about Tallahassee. I always ask them "Why do you stay here?" or "Why did you move here?" The responses are generally because they stay here for their job or because they have family here. I LOVE living here but if I was unhappy I would surely move & they should consider doing the same. Heck, that's why I left Atlanta...it's a great City to visit but it's not for me to live full time. Yes, I compromised on some things to move here from Atlanta but the quality of life here, IMO, is so much better...at least for me and my family.

Like you Glenn, my family moved here from Atlanta when I was just a little boy. My mother always told us living here is much better than we had it in Atlanta even given the obvious "shortcomings" we have when compared to the GA Capital.

I used to conflict with college students all the time on this type of thing. The "Tallahassee Bashing" as I like to call it seems so foolish to me. You can choose any city in the Country to go to for college and you choose to come to one you "hate". But they tell me, "I didn't come here for Tallahassee, I came here for FSU" and I say, "If you like FSU that much then you ought to love the city it is located in as well, for if it is home to the school you love so much is this not reason enough to love the city that holds it?"

Tallahassee is so unique as a city it's size. Quality of life here is superb, when factoring everything from neighborhoods, safety, schools, government services, living amenities and more importantly its NATURAL beauty and genuine historical significance to this state and nation. The last two qualities I listed I feel are those that truly make us unique.

If Downtown was completed with beautiful high-rise homes, businesses, retail shops, and restaurants my dream for Tallahassee would be realized, and I could die a happy man. I'll take the improvements as they come in at their steady pace. One thing's for sure, we can't complain that we're moving backwards as a community for it seems in some way either large or small, we're always moving forward. No matter what the "shrugs" think.

• 6 months later...

Lame: http://floridatrend.com/article.asp?aID=48250#link1

VERO BEACH:

Piper Won't Take Off, Official Says

Vero Beach residents can breathe a sigh of relief: It looks like Piper Aircraft Inc. is sticking around town. After almost a year of sometimes agonizing negotiations with the plane maker, Indian River County officials plan to vote this month on a $12 million incentive package that appears enticing enough to keep Piper local. The deal probably will be sealed at a commission meeting Jan. 15.

Lame: http://floridatrend.com/article.asp?aID=48250#link1

VERO BEACH:

Piper Won't Take Off, Official Says

Vero Beach residents can breathe a sigh of relief: It looks like Piper Aircraft Inc. is sticking around town. After almost a year of sometimes agonizing negotiations with the plane maker, Indian River County officials plan to vote this month on a $12 million incentive package that appears enticing enough to keep Piper local. The deal probably will be sealed at a commission meeting Jan. 15.

Well considering the fact that we Offered them a $90 Million dollar incentive package and it looks like they will be getting just $12 from Indian River County, I'd say we were quite aggressive. Piper didn't want to move, they used us to get more money out of Vero. I'm glad the winds of fortune blew as they did, else we'd have a $90 Million mess on our hands.

Archived