Mena

2kids

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Mena is probably located in one of the most beautiful areas of the state.

Its pretty isolated, though.

Closest places for shopping are Fort Smith and Texarkana. I guess Hot Springs, too.

If you can get a decent job, I'd imagine its a wonderful place to raise a family.

Some neat little city parks and very close to Queen Wilhelmina State Park.

Hope somebody in your family likes huntin' and fishin'. Thats about all there is to do there.

We are moving from a smaller town in Arizona -so we're used to limited entertainment. We LOVE the outdoors and space.

We are retired, so employment isn't a huge issue.

Anyone have any information about the schools?

Where do folks from Mena "go to town"---Ft Smith, Hot Springs, or Texarkana? for Home Depot, Sam's, etc.

We are really looking forward to our move. Wish us luck :)

We are moving from a smaller town in Arizona -so we're used to limited entertainment. We LOVE the outdoors and space.

We are retired, so employment isn't a huge issue.

Anyone have any information about the schools?

Where do folks from Mena "go to town"---Ft Smith, Hot Springs, or Texarkana? for Home Depot, Sam's, etc.

We are really looking forward to our move. Wish us luck :)

I think probably Fort Smith is the best closest place to shop.

Its about 80 miles, with the last 15-20 being interstate quality.

Mena has a Wal-Mart Supercenter and has a lot more retail than probably most towns its size (+/- 5,000).

The schools are probably above average for a small town in Arkansas. I have been to Mena several times and it seemed like a really close knit community with a lot of town pride. I am basing my conjecture about their schools system on that feeling alone. :)

Outisde Waldron which is nearby, there is a neat bi-annual bluegrass festival you might want to check out. Its called the Turkey Track and it brings in people from all over the country.

Waldron is a scenic little area too, although its a Tyson town, and has all the associated ills. Still, a very beautiful, peaceful area of the state.

• 2 months later...
I think you can make the drive from Mena to Hot Springs in a little over an hour. Its been almost 2 years since I've driven it so I forget. I think Texarkana is also about an hour away.

Mena is a very scenic little town. It will be very interesting to watch it develop once 49 comes through (in 20 years).

• 1 year later...

Archived