Krystal

gs3

About two years ago, I remember an announcement was made that Krystal would enter the Greenville market with multiple locations. I believe it was Stewart Spinks (of Spinx stores) that bought the franchise for this area....not sure. :dontknow: Anyway, a few locations opened, and then no more. I noticed this past weekend that the Krystal near Cherrydale is becoming one of the 37 Dunkin Donuts about to flood the market. Anybody know what happened to the Krystal planned expansion? It hasn't materialized. :dontknow: I'm kind of bummed as nothing beats a Krystal late at night, after a few drinks. :thumbsup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About two years ago, I remember an announcement was made that Krystal would enter the Greenville market with multiple locations. I believe it was Stewart Spinks (of Spinx stores) that bought the franchise for this area....not sure. :dontknow: Anyway, a few locations opened, and then no more. I noticed this past weekend that the Krystal near Cherrydale is becoming one of the 37 Dunkin Donuts about to flood the market. Anybody know what happened to the Krystal planned expansion? It hasn't materialized. :dontknow: I'm kind of bummed as nothing beats a Krystal late at night, after a few drinks. :thumbsup:

gsupstate, The Krystal Company is just that a "company". They have never franchised, which is one reason that they have not expanded at the same rate as other fast food chains. They are known as being rather conservative as far as expansion goes. That being said, I would have thought that they would be in Greenville. It is very close to their Chattanooga base and there would be a lot familiarity with their product.

It was, indeed Stewart Spinks who brought Krystal back to the upstate market. And, the very first Krystal that Stewart brought to the Upstate, here in Travelers Rest on Highway 25, has since closed as well. It, too, is becoming Dunkin Doughnuts. No offense, but I'd prefer to have 37 Krispy Kreme shops instead of 37 Dunkin Doughnuts shops flooding the market.

gsupstate, The Krystal Company is just that a "company". They have never franchised, which is one reason that they have not expanded at the same rate as other fast food chains. They are known as being rather conservative as far as expansion goes. That being said, I would have thought that they would be in Greenville. It is very close to their Chattanooga base and there would be a lot familiarity with their product.

Krystal started franchising there stores in 1998 the year after they were purchased by Port Royal

Holdings Inc.

gsupstste, you were correct Mr.Spinx is the area franchiser for Krystal.

I think the reason he didn't build more stores is because they have not been profitable and thats

the reason for the switch to Dukin Donuts.We may also see some of his stores with Burger Kings

switch as well. Most of the new Spinx stores will have Stewart Caf

Krystal started franchising there stores in 1998 the year after they were purchased by Port Royal

Holdings Inc.

gsupstste, you were correct Mr.Spinx is the area franchiser for Krystal.

I think the reason he didn't build more stores is because they have not been profitable and thats

the reason for the switch to Dukin Donuts.We may also see some of his stores with Burger Kings

switch as well. Most of the new Spinx stores will have Stewart Caf

I'm going to show my age here, but I loved going to the original Krystal on 291 across from Bob Jones.

It was about the only place open in the late 1970's at 3:00 AM on Saturday morning when you were

going home from the club. [The Electric Warhorse, The Down Stares, The Brick Yard, The Amvets,

O'Sullavans] or should I just say Boogie Wonderland!

I'm going to show my age here, but I loved going to the original Krystal on 291 across from Bob Jones.

It was about the only place open in the late 1970's at 3:00 AM on Saturday morning when you were

going home from the club. [The Electric Warhorse, The Down Stares, The Brick Yard, The Amvets,

O'Sullavans] or should I just say Boogie Wonderland!

Did Krystal really fail? Or was it a lack of effort on their part? I've never seen any serious effort by Krystal to move into the Upstate as long as I've been living here. Sure they have a few locations around, but I think they could do well if they just moved in and tried.

Archived