Economic developments in the Midlands

krazeeboi

This is likely representative of the trend of moving back to the city. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the city of Columbia seen higher permitting rates the past several years? Obviously you have to take that in the context of massive suburban expansion.

Yes, the city has seen a resurgence in building permits. One thing I've noticed is that there are many homes being built where there were previously double lots, in fact, the house across from me was on a triple lot and they are building 2 homes on one of the extra lots and it looks like there will be 3 homes on the other lot. Since I'm in favor of more dense building, I have no problem with it - the more the merrier.

That should be a crime. I cringe every time I see that up here in Charlotte.

I agree with you, Krazee, and I saw some like that on Glenwood Road in Columbia. I was not a happy camper.

I don't think the ones across from me look too "squeezed in"; they are small homes, maybe 1000-1200 square feet. They aren't far enough along to see what they will look like, but I think they will fit with the character of the neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the look of mcmansions. and to see an up to date (bigger ...mainly because of the trends of the times) in established neighborhoods as a good sign. it shows the neighborhood i still sought after and not in a downward spiral. now i do appreciate some yard space, something the previously mentioned glenwood ave. mcmansions lack. there are better examples of what i feel is acceptable on glenwood on the opposite side of the street from the over sized brick mcmansions there.

and to see an up to date (bigger ...mainly because of the trends of the times) in established neighborhoods as a good sign. it shows the neighborhood i still sought after and not in a downward spiral.

I know of neighborhoods where there is very little to no new construction and there are absolutely no signs that the neighborhood is in a downward spiral. The lack of blight and maintained properties are key indicators of that.

I hate McMansions in established neighborhoods because they totally disrespect the character of their surroundings. There's a way to have the space needed (or in most cases, only wanted) without new homes towering over the existing homes. I think it's just the tackiest thing ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Also for the Midlands, in the Columbia MSA (Fairfield County), a $10 billion investment is proposed for Jenkinsville that would bring 800 to 1000 jobs and 4000 construction jobs at the peak of construction. The proposed development also speaks to the anticipation for a lot of growth in the Midlands.

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/417417.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...