Big SEC Softball Series set for 28-29 April

TennBear

This coming weekend #1 Tennessee (50-2, 20-2) will travel to #6 LSU (46-6, 19-3) for a 3 games series. The first game on Saturday 4:00 EDT and the 3rd game Sunday 2:00 EDT will both be shown on ESPN2. The following weekend Alabama (46-4, 18-4) will come to Knoxville for a 3 game series. These two weekend series will determine the seeding for the SEC tourney and may give a good look at 3 of the teams in this years Women's World Series.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some serious "powerhouses" in SEC Softball !!!! Incredible W-L records too!!

Just keeping up the growing trend with Men's Basketball and Football !!! Florida #1 in basketball again!!! LSU to the Final 4 in 06'. Florida #1 and LSU #3 this past season in Football.

And congrats to Tennessee and Vandy reaching the Sweet 16 this past season.

college baseball is always hard to tell, because last year C of C was a great team and now they disappeared. The MLB draft hurts a lot of teams, because you never know if a kid is gonig to go or not. I am surprised LSU has been in a down slump for such a long time now.

college baseball is always hard to tell, because last year C of C was a great team and now they disappeared. The MLB draft hurts a lot of teams, because you never know if a kid is gonig to go or not. I am surprised LSU has been in a down slump for such a long time now.

Tennessee (51-4, 21-4) lost two of the three games (1-5, 2-1, 2-3), at LSU (48-8, 21-4) and fell into a three way tie for first place with LSU and Alabama (50-4, 21-4). LSU holds the tie breaker over both Tennessee and Alabama having taken two from each in their three game series. Tennessee will conclude the regular season with a three game series versus Alabama in Knoxville on the 5-6th of May. The SEC Tournament will be in Auburn, AL on the 10-12th of May.

A side Note: Monica Abbott picked up the loss to fall to 39-2 on the season and 18-2 in the SEC by allowing three earned runs on just two hits with four walks. By recording five strikeouts, she equaled the NCAA Division I career strikeout mark of former Texas hurler Cat Osterman at 2,265 K's.

Tennessee (53-4, 23-4) swept Alabama (50-6, 21-6) to take the SEC Regular Season Softball Championship. LSU (49-10, 22-6) took the Western Division Championship and second seed in the SEC Tournament by a half a game over Alabama. In addition, Monica Abbott set NCAA's career strikeout record at 2,276.

Tennessee (53-4, 23-4) swept Alabama (50-6, 21-6) to take the SEC Regular Season Softball Championship. LSU (49-10, 22-6) took the Western Division Championship and second seed in the SEC Tournament by a half a game over Alabama. In addition, Monica Abbott set NCAA's career strikeout record at 2,276.

The SEC had two teams in the WCWS last year. Tennessee and Alabama. Alabama went out early, but Tennessee went to game 13 losing to Arizona. Arizona then beat Northwestern in the first two games of the best of 3 for the Championship. Arizona is a Top 5 team again this year. Northwestern is a top 10 team. I look for all of the teams mentioned to be in the WCWS this year along with LSU, Arizona State, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. Tennessee has the best pitching in the country and the best defense. Alabama has the best offense and LSU has won the series against both of them. I think that the SEC stands a very good chance of winning the WCWS. I would think that Arizona would have the best chance for a non-SEC school. They have the hisory and the tournament experience.

I was surprised that Tennessee fell to the 5 seed, but LSU did win the SEC and got the 10 seed. It must have to do with how much they respected who each team played. How about Ohio State winning the Big 10 and having Northwestern get the 2 seed and Michigan get the 9 seed? Since Ohio State has the 16 seed in their regional, I guess that they would be the 17 seed.

The winner of the Tennessee Regional will play the winner of the UCLA Regional in the Super Regional.

Seeds by conference:

Pac 10: (1) Arizona; (6) Washington; (7) Arizona State; (12) UCLA;

SEC: (5) Tennessee; (10) LSU; (11) Alabama; (13) Florida

Big 12: (3) Oklahoma; (4) Texas A&M; (8) Baylor

Big 10: (2) Northwestern; (9) Michigan

ACC: (15) North Carolina State; (16) Virginia Tech

Big East: (14) DePaul

Bids by Conference

Pac 10 8 bids

SEC 7 bids

Big 12 6 bids

Big 10 4 bids

ACC 4 bids

It really looks funny that Oklahoma is going to Amherst for the Regional, but since they host the WCWS they had to go somewhere or they wouldn't have to leave home through the entire tourney.

Super Regionals

Winner of Tucson vs Columbus

Winner of Evanston vs South Carolina

Winner of Amherst vs Carbondale

Winner of College Station vs Gainesville

Winner of Knoxville vs Los Angeles

Winner of Lincoln vs Tuscaloosa

Winner of Provo vs Palo Alto

Winner of Hempstead vs Ann Arbor

I'm certain that the A-10 is happy to be hosting a Regional and I'm also certain that the NCAA wants to have all the regions of the country to have Regionals.

2 in the Northeast Hempstead and Amherst

5 in the South South Carolina, Gainesville, Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, College Station

5 in the Midwest Columbus, Evanston, Carbondale, Lincoln, Ann Arbor

4 in the West Tucson, Los Angeles, Provo, Palo Alto

SEC 4 regionals

Pac 10 3 regionals

Big 10 3 regionals

Big 12 2 regionals

Colonial 1 regional

A10 1 regional

MVC 1 regional

MWC 1 regional

In some ways, I find it interesting that they didn't have the ACC have a regional. I can understand why they didn't give one to DePaul, because that would have given Chicago two.

Archived