Perez under investigation

beerbeer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure how Eddie will bounce from this...this close to the end of his term....I hope the people in Hartford remember things like this when they get to the voting booth.

Tycoon, you seem pretty connected to the city and neighborhoods....do you get the sense that this is a "nail in the coffin"?

I am not sure how Eddie will bounce from this...this close to the end of his term....I hope the people in Hartford remember things like this when they get to the voting booth.

Tycoon, you seem pretty connected to the city and neighborhoods....do you get the sense that this is a "nail in the coffin"?

Hopefully people will keep track of all the mis-steps by the Mayor and his lack of honesty in dealing with them. Press releases are issued almost hourly now on everything that the mayor is doing as a "man of the people", from who he's having lunch with to which award he is handing out to bring in more votes. Surprisingly though, not one mention of the State's Attorney's Investigation, I guess his media people only want the public to read what the Mayor sees fit, not what the people have a right to know.

The Mayor's dog and pony show to unveil the budget was held tonight at Bulkeley High, and when it was evident that people were prepared with valid questions about spending, Perez stated that it was only for them to make statements, he would not answer questions. Why not? and when will he make himself available to answer questions from the very people that suffer under his reckless budget and spending. From Fiscal year 2005 to proposed spending for FY 2007, total government spending up 34.94%, Total Administrative services up 50.71%, projected legal settlements up 167.64%. The management and budget office budget has been increased 40.61%, I guess they must be doing such a great job controlling spending. Under Perez's administration, I'm reluctant to use the word leadership,spending from FY 2005 to FY 2006, increased over $21 million dollars, and is projected to increase another $21 million dollars more for FY 07-08 according to the Mayor's own budget documents. (page 40-2, Budget Summaries)

Is it any wonder Hartford can not attract new businesses or development with this type of irresponsible and reckless attitude toward spending. I can only hope that Governor Rell and the legislature will send a clear message for any requests for additional funding and say "NO" until Hartford gets it spending under control. And yes, I know that this will negatively impact every resident and business in the City, but we are headed for a budget collapse under the current spending at City Hall, and need to get back on track.

I think Englehart at the Courant has it right, " I think it's time for a Republican Mayor in Hartford". It happened in New Britian six years ago when the voters in a heavily Democratic city got fed up, and it can happen in Hartford.

Hi all:

I think it is time to elect someone else -- Mayor Mike. The one right thing Perez did -- was supporting the Hartford Whalers Booster Club efforts to get the NHL back in the city. Mayor Perez needs to be replaced -- by someone who is a businessperson. Myself, I'd love to see Tony March run, but I know that he lives in Simsbury. That is why Hartford (and some other cities in Connecticut) needs to have two strong parties. I mean here in Tampa, the city council (non-partisan) is made up of conservatives, liberals and even a libertarian.

It would be interesting to see an Afro-American Republican business owner as mayor of Hartford.

Hi all:

I think it is time to elect someone else -- Mayor Mike. The one right thing Perez did -- was supporting the Hartford Whalers Booster Club efforts to get the NHL back in the city. Mayor Perez needs to be replaced -- by someone who is a businessperson. Myself, I'd love to see Tony March run, but I know that he lives in Simsbury. That is why Hartford (and some other cities in Connecticut) needs to have two strong parties. I mean here in Tampa, the city council (non-partisan) is made up of conservatives, liberals and even a libertarian.

It would be interesting to see an Afro-American Republican business owner as mayor of Hartford.

The Mayor's dog and pony show to unveil the budget was held tonight at Bulkeley High, and when it was evident that people were prepared with valid questions about spending, Perez stated that it was only for them to make statements, he would not answer questions. Why not? and when will he make himself available to answer questions from the very people that suffer under his reckless budget and spending. From Fiscal year 2005 to proposed spending for FY 2007, total government spending up 34.94%, Total Administrative services up 50.71%, projected legal settlements up 167.64%. The management and budget office budget has been increased 40.61%, I guess they must be doing such a great job controlling spending. Under Perez's administration, I'm reluctant to use the word leadership,spending from FY 2005 to FY 2006, increased over $21 million dollars, and is projected to increase another $21 million dollars more for FY 07-08 according to the Mayor's own budget documents. (page 40-2, Budget Summaries)

This is a whole new angle on the expanding scandal. The contract was just a sweetheart deal. This new part is EXTORTION.

A developer says that he offered to pay political boss Abraham Giles $100,000 to vacate a downtown parking lot after being told by Hartford Mayor Eddie A. Perez that Giles needed to be taken care of to make a real estate deal happen......"He said very clearly: Make sure you satisfy Abe or there's no deal here," Citino said in an interview. "Almost word for word, exactly that."

they are not on the up and up because in order to get to a position like mayor of a city, they are already corrupt to one degree or another. i am not saying that there are not exceptions. how many times have i read that this guy giles controls democratic town committee votes and can "deliver" them. what could be more indicative of a corrupt climate?

I think what we are seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg.A few months ago, very few people had the courage to question Perez and his tactics. Now that evidence of his corrupt administration is becoming almost daily news, people are becoming bolder and new incidents are coming to light almost daily. The State's Attorney investigation is a start, but there will be definitley be more.

Unfortunately, the majority of the incidents would have been more difficult to commit if the members of the City Council were excercising the power that the voters gave to them. The Council has not performed as the "checks and balances" that they were empowered with under the City Charter, and subsequently are enabling Perez to function unquestioned. The Gile's deal was in place over five months, and only after the Courant questioned it, did any Council people say a word.

It is time for a clean sweep at City Hall, both in the Mayor's Office and the City Council and beyond, including the City Attorney who will issue an opinion anyway the Mayor instructs him, without any basis in law. Maybe that is why the Mayor's proposed budget has over a 167.3% increase projected for litigation settlements.

I agree that every day the Republican candidate looks more and more inviting. Even more so because he is not a "professional" politician, and this is his first time running for office. No political baggage and not beholding to anyone. If the Republican Party in Hartford were to get their act together, they could really shake things up.

I think Perez is in for a bumpy ride that will eventually make a stop before a Judge's bench.

Why Bob Painter?

He has sat there the same as the others and has very rarely uttered a word challenging Perez's actions. He's a nice guy, very personable , means well, but in that position you need to occasionally take a stand. As a Republican he is the opposition party and should be questioning the budget and out of control spending at the very least.

Not everything needs to be an argument or a Republican or Democrat issue, but if you are going to run for public office, at least have the fortitude to take a stand on your beliefs and represent the people that put their trust in you when they cast their votes.

The increase in spending by Perez is unbelieveably irresponsible. As a business owner and resident of Hartford, I am outraged by it.

But the stunt he tried pulling with a developer who is trying to develop a parcel of land that is an eyesore is criminal. The Courant should crucify him for this. Where is the outrage. It is becoming obvious that all the money and effort Rowland -- a Republican mind you-- pumped into downtown is being severely hindered by Perez. It makes me feel that while we are all pulling in one direction for Hartford, Perez through this stunt, union games, indifference to big business, etc. is pushing back for his own gain. This is outrageous. It makes you wonder what we HAVEN'T heard about.

I am extremely angered by this. How far would downtown Hartford be along if we had a mayor who had the city's best interests at heart and not his own?

The more bad things about Perez I read, the more I wonder just how in the hell did he get elected in the first place.

And if Perez did something to get that stupid of an electorate to vote for him, well... I may as well move to Hartford and run against him.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again, Channel 3's lead story at 6 says that Perez is being accused by the CT State Republicans of election improprieties and breaking state election laws. From what I understand the charges seem to be pretty solid and aren't just political stunts. When is Perez going to learn that even he can't hide from state statutes, although some on the City Council think they have the power to "waive" state laws as one Councilperson recently said during a budget hearing

Maybe Perez can issue himself a pardon when his house of cards collapses.

Archived