Clinton vs. Obama  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the nomination?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Barack Obama

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta say neither. Obama is popular right now but he will fizzle out. Hillary is too polarizing. If I had to choose between the two who would win, I'd choose Hillary. I sure as hell wouldn't vote for her though.

I know this seems out there, but a few people have made the comment to me in passing discussions. Obama sounds a lot like Osama. Right away, his name has a negative conontation, and could turn people off from learning about his stand on issues (which I'm not convinced that he has any at the moment).

I know this seems out there, but a few people have made the comment to me in passing discussions. Obama sounds a lot like Osama. Right away, his name has a negative conontation, and could turn people off from learning about his stand on issues (which I'm not convinced that he has any at the moment).

Hillary and Obama will be out of the picture sooner than ya think.

Even Hillary's supporters concede that she is a polarizing figure. And Obama looks great now, but give the race more time. He will probably end up being thought of as too inexperienced.

I still say Edwards and Richardson are the two strongest candidates. Both are electable.

panamaniac, have you ever been to the South? If so you would realize that Hillary Clinton is one of the most despized public figures around the region. I can't stress this enough for those folks that haven't been to the South very much.

To win, surely a Dem must carry a Southern state or two. Please name one that you think Sen. Clinton could win. Even winning in the regular Blue States would be an uphill climb for Hillary.

When I hear people say she could win in the general election, it makes me wonder if they realize just how hated she is in the most populous region in the US.

In your world (mind) that may be true, but in the real world all other candidates are of the "vanilla" variety against the front-runners. The only event (extremely remote) that could really shake things up is if Al Gore (at the zenith of is popularity) were to enter into the fray. Otherwise, only Hillary and Iraq Osama, er, I mean Barack Obama can ignite the passions of the anti-war electorate.

In the current political climate, a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton (less likely) would be the most formidable ticket in the history of American politics. They would score an unprecedented lopsided victory over their Republican counterparts...

panamaniac, have you ever been to the South? If so you would realize that Hillary Clinton is one of the most despized public figures around the region. I can't stress this enough for those folks that haven't been to the South very much.

To win, surely a Dem must carry a Southern state or two. Please name one that you think Sen. Clinton could win. Even winning in the regular Blue States would be an uphill climb for Hillary.

When I hear people say she could win in the general election, it makes me wonder if they realize just how hated she is in the most populous region in the US.

gusterfell, I so totally agree with you about the Dems' chances without the South. If Richardson were the Dems' nominee, not only would he easily carry his home state (New Mexico), he would also have great opportunity in neighboring Nevada and Colorado. Bill Clinton carried both at one time or the other.

A Dem could win that way, without the South. Sad to say it's looking like both parties will completely ignore the South again in 2008. Reps already know they have a huge advantage to sweep the region, and the Dems already know they have little chance in the South.

So both sides ignore the region and concentrate on other areas that have closer races. That's what we get with the Electoral College. Is there any way we can repeal it in our lifetimes?????? Why should the South be relegated to a non-issue in presidential elections?

Edwards and Richardson have a lot better odds of winning a general election than Obama or Clinton. Obama and Clinton got the name recognition and the popularity right now. But let's face it, Obama's name scares ignorant voters in the South and Midwest, while his lack of an agenda hurts him in other areas. Meanwhile, I could never vote for Hillary Clinton, I'd rather have Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich as a president over her (and hey, nobody wants those two nutjobs either.)

Edwards and Richardson have the better advantage of being moderate, sane people from southern parts of this country. They aren't hardcore neo-cons, thank God, but at least they'll make enough sense and that southern play to win enough votes to get the Presidency... that's only if they can get plenty of name recognition and money behind them.

If the Dem nomination goes to Obama or Clinton, John McCain is winning.

^^You need to leave San Francisco some time, so you would know HRC will not win in a landslide. She is a polarizing figure who will bring far right republicans to the polls in droves. On the Democratic side I like Richardson. If Romney is the Republican nominee, I would vote for Richardson, but not HRC. Obama is too new to politics and policy to be taken too seriously. The Clinton machine will destroy Obama in my opinion. If Richardson gets the nomination, you will see a lot of crossover voters who wouldn't normally vote Democrat. Richardson may be the guy to bring this country back together again. The hatred on both sides has gotten too much for me to take.

Also, the electorate voted mostly Blue Dog Democrats this past election. The country has not gone as far left as you might think.

I have to agree that Richardson is the candidate who could pull the most right-leaning moderates, though I'm not sure he would excite enough democrats to show up at the polls. I'm with Lowerdeck and erdogs, I think there is little chance that Obame or Clinton could win the general election.

I DO think that Edward could win with Obama or Richardson as a VP, but not Clinton.

I'm predicting this election will be decided at the primaries, as one party will likely nominate an electable candidate, and the other won't. If it's Hillary vs. McCain, then I will have to consider cryogenically freezing myself for 4 years.

Hillary will not get the troops out of Iraq, here husband knows what's at stake. George W. Bush is not running this time. It's a whole new ball game. You can watch all the news shows or read all the papers you want, but you need to get the feel of what people are really saying in private. While most want us out of Iraq, they do not want a quick withdraw that will leave it more dangerous than ever. That's coming from people I know here in a very liberal Austin. This whole thing is not as simple as you might think. A compromise will have to be met before the withdraw happens.

Agree with them or not, that's not what any of the current polls show. If the election were held today, Clinton would easily beat any of the potential Republican nominees, while Obama would beat all but Guiliani, with whom he would be in a dead heat.

Hillary will not get the troops out of Iraq, here husband knows what's at stake. George W. Bush is not running this time. It's a whole new ball game. You can watch all the news shows or read all the papers you want, but you need to get the feel of what people are really saying in private. While most want us out of Iraq, they do not want a quick withdraw that will leave it more dangerous than ever. That's coming from people I know here in a very liberal Austin. This whole thing is not as simple as you might think. A compromise will have to be met before the withdraw happens.

This may come as a surprise to you, but San Francisco gets world and national news, CNN, FOX, New York Times, Washington Post, Newsweek and Time Magazines, etc. I (we) don't have to leave San Francisco to see the national opinion polls and the political climate in this country. I was in San Francisco when the midterm elections placed Nancy Pelosi in the speakership of the House - and barring unforseen circumstances - will be in San Francisco when Hillary is placed (back) in the White House.

True, the polarizing effect of HRC will make the race for the Democratic nomination rather close, but she would still edge Obama. In the presidential elections, as "hated" as Hillary migt be, enough people hate Bush and his "war" even more, to give her a shot at ending it. One does not have to be a Rhodes scholar (or even leave San Francisco) to know that a Democrat (as president) will expedite our troops' exodus out of hell...

Archived