CLINTON vs. OBAMA

Panamaniac

Clinton vs. Obama  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the nomination?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Barack Obama

In regards to this topic, I note the following at the very bottom of the article.

Popularity of First Ladies

• Hillary Clinton (1/2001) - Favorable 47%

• Barbara Bush (1/1993) - Favorable 71%

• Nancy Reagan (1/1989) - Favorable 56%

If you believe these popularity polls, and I don't since the only popularity poll that matters is the vote, then things don't bode well for Clinton since she is the "least popular" of any of the recent outgoing first ladies. It's especially interesting since Nancy Reagan was generally disliked during the Reagan presidency. She was seen as controlling, petty, and uneducated especially when compared to such leader's wives as the very popular Raisa Gorbachev (wife of last leader of USSR). The fact that Hillary does not even rank at this level tells me that she isn't going to go far in this election. That is, if you believe in magazine polls.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't trust polls either as you don't know what or how the questions were asked unless you were a part of it. People will also say one thing in a poll because it may be the popular answer, but will vote in the opposite direction once they get in the booth. I think that's what Metro is getting at?

Yes Clinton barely carried Washington State in 1996. But that was 11 years ago, and I was speaking (above) about today. In Washington today, Clinton is VERY popular.

And who can forget the time he visited Seattle during his presidency and over 10,000 people showed up in the freezing rain, and filled blocks of downtown, just to hear him speak?

Bill Clinton's popularity is actually a mystery to me. I've never seen greatness in him. I never voted for him.

LOL, I've said many times that wikipedia is not a definitive source for anything. In anycase Heckles if you continue to think the rest of the world is better than the South, then I hope your papers come in for Canada so that you can move elsewhere where you are happier. I simply said that Clinton was not that formidable of a politician, having just barely won his last election, and you have managed to somehow move the conversation to bashing the South.

The bottom line on Clinton was that while he was progressive on some of the social issues that you point out, he also sold out the Democratic party to the corporations and he and others managed to drag down the party so far the Republicans managed to gain a stranglehold on power. The only reason that we have seen a resurgence in the last election was mainly because 1. there are a new bunch of leaders taking over the party, and 2. the GOP has managed to completely screw up things so bad that even their supporters are disgusted with them.

Personally I feel that Hillary will be a vote for the old status quo for the Democrats, and if she is nominated, I feel that her nomination is the best chance to had another presidency to the GOP.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting to hear some comments re: the recent Democratic forum at AFL-CIO.

I caught the first part of the debate and was essentially nonplussed. As far as Clinton vs. Obama goes, I am seeing Clinton getting more and more formidable. To my eye, she is continuing to look more and more presidential. Her answers to the questions were quite good.

Here is my question: is Obama essentially a candidate based on charisma? Damn, is he an attractive fellow----young, smart, articulate, dashing and confident, extremely photogenic, married to a highly educated woman who is equally attractive. But why should I vote for him instead of Hillary? or Edwards? or Biden? or Dodd?

When it comes down to it, Obama possesses no more qualifications to be president than any of his peers. Probably less, when you consider Dodd and Biden have been in the US Senate for decades and know the issues so thoroughly. So if I vote for Obama, am I really voting for charisma? Policy wise I just don't see that much difference in his stances and those of his fellow Dems.

It would be interesting to hear some comments re: the recent Democratic forum at AFL-CIO.

I caught the first part of the debate and was essentially nonplussed. As far as Clinton vs. Obama goes, I am seeing Clinton getting more and more formidable. To my eye, she is continuing to look more and more presidential. Her answers to the questions were quite good.

Here is my question: is Obama essentially a candidate based on charisma? Damn, is he an attractive fellow----young, smart, articulate, dashing and confident, extremely photogenic, married to a highly educated woman who is equally attractive. But why should I vote for him instead of Hillary? or Edwards? or Biden? or Dodd?

When it comes down to it, Obama possesses no more qualifications to be president than any of his peers. Probably less, when you consider Dodd and Biden have been in the US Senate for decades and know the issues so thoroughly. So if I vote for Obama, am I really voting for charisma? Policy wise I just don't see that much difference in his stances and those of his fellow Dems.

Care to clarify? By calling Hillary an opportunist, I presume you are referring to her moving to NY to run for senate. There was nothing remotely illegal nor unethical about that, and her popularity among that state's voters speaks for itself. They certainly don't see her as a carpetbagger.

Further, she has never tried to hide any of her past stances. She has been quite consistent on most issues, and on issues where her stance has changed, like the war, she has provided ample reason for such changes. Politicians are allowed, or better, required to adapt their stances to new developments in the issue. The type of flexibility that lately gets one labeled a "flip-flopper" is absolutely essential if this nation is to survive in today's fast-changing world.

Finally, if "polarizing" were the same as "unelectable," Bush never would have been president, and he certainly never would have been reelected.

I never claimed that HRC is the "great savior" of our country, but given the pool of candidates from both sides, she's the most formidable symbol for change. We have to way of fortelling the success or failure of her presidency, but what we do know is that even Mickey Mouse would be a welcome change from the current occupant in the White House!

Last time I have checked, Hillary has not won any elections other than an easy Senate seat. The corporate controlled media have done what they can to portray Hillary as a front runner, but that is only because they would love to see another Clinton in office. Democrats risk losing another election, as they did, when the same thing happened with Kerry. She may very well get the Democratic nomination. I don't think she will ever be the President.

Panamaniac, if you insult anyone else in this thread, I will remove your access. Consider yourself warned

Last time I have checked, Hillary has not won any elections other than an easy Senate seat. The corporate controlled media have done what they can to portray Hillary as a front runner, but that is only because they would love to see another Clinton in office. Democrats risk losing another election, as they did, when the same thing happened with Kerry. She may very well get the Democratic nomination. I don't think she will ever be the President.

Panamaniac, if you insult anyone else in this thread, I will remove your access. Consider yourself warned

Archived