Enhanced bus

Rizzo

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some accounts of ridership going up by 20, 40, whatever % after implementing various BRT treatments, but I don't know how much TOD can be attributed to BRT. Generally speaking BRT is still considered a cheap proxy for light rail or streetcars, and the kind of investment those transit modes bring hasn't come about in the same way in BRT corridors in the U.S. (at least none I've seen yet). "Successful" BRT systems in North America include Eugene Oregon, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, and Ottawa. Las Vegas has the MAX running, and Newark is moving forward with a couple of pilot corridors. Charlotte has had some sort of BRT-treated corridor running while its LRT is under construction.

I know BRT transit in the Twin Cities has been rather successful. There are transit stations located at various points in the suburbs where you can park and then ride the bus to downtown with various stops at the airport, etc. Ridership on these lines has increased dramatically in the past few years as the buses are generally very clean and comfortable (more like coach style) and buses are permitted to drive in the shoulder during heavy traffic. I don't think it really spawns growth, but it does help those who choose to use it have a piece of mind because they don't have to drive themselves.

It is a great alternative for routes along busy corridors where rail transit is not feasible.

Archived