Downtown Greensboro to get a carousel

cityboi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The carousel is being proposed to be built in the rectangle area that says "Festival Space"/"Concrete Patio Dance Area"

with the YWCA looking for a new downtown location a good use for the YWCA site could be a small hotel/retail about 6 or 7 stories. (maybe like the Hampton Inn Hotel that was proposed for the south end of downtown) There is enough room for a small hotel parking deck too. The carousel and Cafe' Europa would be next to the hotel on the south, the Greensboro Historical Museum and Solaris Restaurant to the north and Center-City Park to the southwest. The Childrens Museum is also not far away. So there would be plenty of attraction around the hotel. Hotel guest would have a nice view sort of overlooking Center-City Park and Greensboro's Skyline. Midrise condos would be another good use. Once the YWCA vacates this property it will certainly be sought after prime real estate. Hopefully local developers lurking on this forum will get wind of these ideas because I certainly want to see development go to a new level. I plan on taking pictures of this area.

festivalpark2006.jpg

As far as Greensboro "copying" other cities, that's what all cities do. You see what works for other cities, you plan, and you tailor that to your own city. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I'm pretty sure some other city had a carousel before Burlington got one, but I don't see anyone claiming that Burlington is a copycat.

its funny that Burlington doesnt advertise the city park as being a part of downtown. When you go to their website it refers to Burlington City Park being one mile away from downtown. they dont say its downtown.

and by me saying jumping ahead that doesnt mean Greensboro isnt doing what others have done. I meant Greensboro is among the first cities that starting to do this in this new trend. not many cities have done this yet.

• 2 weeks later...

More news for downtown Greensboro. looks like the Childrens Museum will be going through its first major expansion since it opened in 1999. The expansion will feature new exhibits, a 4,000 to 6,000 foot educational building, outdoor play area and a teaching garden. Museum operators would love to have the proposed carousel nearby but there seems to be not enough land for it. The caroseul will be housed in a 10,000 sqaure foot building. No word on exactly where the carousel will be place but Festival Park next to center-city park was mention, as well as other downtown sites. The carousel could even but placed in a possible major downtown hotel/entertainment/residential devlopment downtown.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/305090002

There's room for the carousel if they remove the surface parking lot, and go "up" with some of the additions, which would be neat anyway, they could incorporate some multi-level playhouse, slides, etc. in that way. As far as the outdoor area, didn't they just recently add the one there now?

There's room for the carousel if they remove the surface parking lot, and go "up" with some of the additions, which would be neat anyway, they could incorporate some multi-level playhouse, slides, etc. in that way. As far as the outdoor area, didn't they just recently add the one there now?

• 3 months later...

The News & Record reported that the Greensboro Rotary Club may have found a home for the downtown merry-go-round. The site would be the triangle plaza bound by Summit Ave, Lindsay Street and Church Street in the cultural district. Basically it would be across the street from the Flatiron Building and Greensboro Historical Museum. The carousel will be housed in a large building.

I'm just curious how long this ride will last. While it is a nice idea I don't see it becoming a fixture in Greensboro. There are only so many times you can visit a carousel. I guess if I had kids I'd think about it differently but are there other cities that have giant carousels as city attractions? I typically think of them as cheesy rides in a shopping mall. Maybe there is a different nostalgic feel for these rides that will make people come back over and over again?

From the N & R:

"Tentative plans call for the city to close Lindsay Street between Church and Summit and turn the road into a parking area for the carousel and the historical museum...Rotary officials say they plan to give the carousel to the city, which would let the parks and recreation department operate it."

So, I'm looking to procure some Bryan Foundation money & get the city to close Church St to build a skee ball & penny arcade that the taxpayers can maintain. Who's with me?

I'm just curious how long this ride will last. While it is a nice idea I don't see it becoming a fixture in Greensboro. There are only so many times you can visit a carousel. I guess if I had kids I'd think about it differently but are there other cities that have giant carousels as city attractions? I typically think of them as cheesy rides in a shopping mall. Maybe there is a different nostalgic feel for these rides that will make people come back over and over again?

I really like the location they've settled on, but I'm weary of them closing yet another street (Lindsay St. no less) and using it for parking. Regardless, I really like the idea and think this would be a great way of spurring development along the Summit Avenue corridor.

I really like the location they've settled on, but I'm weary of them closing yet another street (Lindsay St. no less) and using it for parking. Regardless, I really like the idea and think this would be a great way of spurring development along the Summit Avenue corridor.

Well I went back and read through some of the earlier posts and links and it seems that there is a specific draw for carousels. I guess I just think there are better uses for that land and for the money, even if it is being raised by a private group. IF the Rotary Club raises the $2 million needed for the project (they have a long way to go with only $200k so far) and if this thing gets built it says they will turn it over to the city to run. So that means it will come out of our tax dollars to maintain and staff this facility.

Anybody know what the yearly maintenance cost on a carousel is so we can figure out the ticket prices?

As a side note has anyone been to the Flatiron? I've driven by it but never thought it was open for business. What kind of bar is it?

Archived