Messy Newspaper Racks

Jeeper12

Did Metro get it right ?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Metro recently voted to begin subjecting the location of newspaper racks to a small fee and permit in order to ensure rack locations are safe and consolidated at approporiate locations throughout the city. Metro's legal department has indicated that it looked at successful regs in many other cities in order to ensure that public safety and neighborhood improvement issues didn't trump the papers' 1st amendment rights.

• Yes, Metro can provide adequately for the needs of the publications in a way that minimizes public safety concerns and allows the vendors to have clearly identifiable (but consolidated) rack locations.
    • No, we should allow the newspaper industry to police themselves as they have here in Nashville for years.
    • No, newspapers need to maximize their distribution and profits so they need to have the ability to seperate their publications and inserts into as many brightly colored conspicuous racks as possible to be successful.

I thought yesterday's CP editorial was outrageous in that it took the opportunity to attack the metro council for wasting time on such trivial matters (only listing 2) as regulating the placement of newspaper racks. I'm not a big fan of our super sized metro council but I thought the CP's shot was hilariously ironic since the council FINALLY found the stones to stand up to the people that write about them (isn't that the opposite of kowtowing ?) and pass something that will substancially improve the appearance of our neighborhoods. It was a long time coming. I thought the editorial was pathetically self-serving and disengenuous in so much as they never even disclosed their conflict on the rack issue as they criticized the council for taking them on (see paragraph 8 in the attached link).

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=55803

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do like the all-black city provided racks better, but honestly, i have never been bothered by the rows of multi-colored ones until i the press pointed them out. i don't feel that metro would provide an adequate amount of the black ones so i voted #2. our sidewalks are ridiculously small anyways (metro's fault) so what's an extra box or two? they seem to be the same depth anyways.

i seriously don't care.. its a silly topic to freak about.

why not have diverse containers to hold papers?! who cares?!

i for one like knowing i can walk just a few blocks and find a newspaper to read.

there are more pressing problems to worry about... like the billboard signs that litter city's skyline...... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor Daley got onto the newspapers in Chicago and tried to have them put everything in one organized container with mixed results. It does look better, obviously, to have things clean and tidy than scattered. And in fact Chicago is a surprisingly clean city but a lot of the litter is related to print materials blowing down the street. They are starting to put out more waste bins that are specific to newspapers for recycling, which seems like a good idea, too.

I wonder how this process works from a business perspective because I think that each newspaper has to buy their own box/stand when they are freestanding and I'm not sure about permits. I wonder what the cost differential would be to have your paper in a pre-existing box. Would you pay more money for the best spots, e.g., ones closer to eye level or at the edge? Also, could it save money on distribution costs? Does anyone know? I have a friend who runs a small paper in Nashville but he definitely uses his own boxes and pays for distribution.

I never have had much issue with newspaper containers in Nashville or any other city. Aesthetically they dont really bother me, although I prefer the old-school metal and glass versions most commercial papers use to the cheaper plastic containers many free publications use. In rural areas and smaller cities in West Tennessee and other areas I travel through most free publications use the standard metal boxes like the local and regional papers, just without the lock mechanism, which I think keeps things looking more clean and upscale. I'd rather see free publications sink some money into better boxes, but hey its their business, so they can use whatever marketing/distribution containter they want as long as it conforms to city ordinances.

I wonder why we have so many to begin with! They all run the same advertizing, and much of what is printed is redundant. Several music magazines in town, of which I wrote for one, went all online. Most of if not all of the information contained in these publications is available online anyway. There is no need for any of these racks in my humble opinion.

Archived