Pittsburgh named a top "City of the Future"

TheGerbil

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07114/780399-28.stm

Foreign Direct Investment magazine, which is affiliated with the Financial Times (based in London), has named Pittsburgh one of the top three "Cities of the Future" in North America. Granted, they were only ranking cities that participated, but it's still good press. We beat out Atlanta, Guadalajara, Mexico, Baltimore, Montreal, Mexico City, Boston and Miami. The two cities ahead of us were Chicago and Toronto.

Some of the criteria they looked at were cost effectiveness for businesses, transportation links, mobile phone ownership and Internet connection speeds.

I am always pleased to see positive press like this. Whether or not the study means anything, it makes our region look good. I think little things like this can add up to improve our image and hopefully help us to attract people and businesses.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also happy to hear about this article. Interesting to me, though, was the article in the Post-Gazette about this article. They really seemed to zero in on the ways to discredit the article... there was also the joke about being able to see the potholes from London. Sort of a funny joke, but it's too bad how the local press can take even the most positive articles and use them to make a jab or two at the city. Overall, great press for Pittsburgh, though.

I agree. It seems like the local media love to disparage the city. It's no wonder so many natives have negative opinions, if that's all they hear on TV and in the papers. Then there are all the college students who come here and see negative stuff in the news...

It's really amazing how local media keep repeating stereotypes as if they were truth, just perpetuating myths and negative ideas. How is that good journalism?

Archived