Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dfwtiger

Birmingham Area Dining

20 posts in this topic

In the print version, Bottletree was also mentioned, but I don't see it on this page.

hmmmm

New Thai restaurant to open downtown

Driving down 7th Avenue today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a vacant store-front building with a "Coming Soon" sign indicating that a new, authentic Thai restaurant would open just next to the Oriental Market at the corner of 7th Avenue and 22nd Street South.

Yay for multiculturalism downtown!

Looks like it will be run as a unique place rather than a franchise. In my experience, when it comes to ethnic foods, it's these type of places that are much more authentic.

I think there are only about 2-3 Thai places in Birmingham at the moment and I'm not sure any of them are truly "authentic." I'll definitely give this new place a try, though, when it opens.

Yeah, it is interesting to see more Asian restaurants in town. This will only encourage the diversity of the city.

Awesome, not only will it make Birmingham more "diverse", it's showing more interest in the downtown area.

Yep... not only are there the cultural implications of a development like this, but it's yet another instance of a vacant building getting new life.

It's really amazing to see the rebirth of the downtown CBD before our eyes. I think ONB posted some stats that showed something like 300 vacant buildings downtown in the mid to early 90s and something like only 60-70 buildings still vacant today.

As I've pointed out in other forums, Birmingham may not have any 30+ story buildings under construction or anything, but there's certainly been a big explosion of development and revitalization downtown. That's abundantly clear to me.

This summer (June 8th) is when it's expected to open.

Yep... not only are there the cultural implications of a development like this, but it's yet another instance of a vacant building getting new life.

It's really amazing to see the rebirth of the downtown CBD before our eyes. I think ONB posted some stats that showed something like 300 vacant buildings downtown in the mid to early 90s and something like only 60-70 buildings still vacant today.

As I've pointed out in other forums, Birmingham may not have any 30+ story buildings under construction or anything, but there's certainly been a big explosion of development and revitalization downtown. That's abundantly clear to me.

And if this development continues we are sure to see new high rise projects downtown. I remember when the Regions-Amsouth merger was announced they (Regions/Amsouth) said that it would be good for the city and we would see the benefits of the merger over time. Maybe a new Regions signature tower could someday soon become a reality. With new restaurants, hotels and residential developments downtown it is just a matter of time before we see the new major developments.

I've often wondered that about Regions. It could, I guess be possible. I don't know what % of the Regions Financial Center (30-stories) they occupy right now. I believe they also still occupy a portion of their original 18-story HQ building. They also anticipate adding several hundred (maybe up to a thousand) new jobs. Would be nice to see them consolidate everything into a 40-story building. I think there were even rumors of that once upon a time, but again, I'm not sure how likely that really is. It's probably our best bet though for our next 30+ story building.

Birmingham may not have any 30+ story buildings under construction or anything, but there's certainly been a big explosion of development and revitalization downtown. That's abundantly clear to me.

Bennigan's in Trussville?

Was wondering, I drove by the other day .. what happened to the restaurant? I wanted to eat there but noticed it turned into a Costa restaurant.. anyone know why it closed?

well if it's like the one in Huntsville it was probably due to poor service/food quality. The Huntsville location was excellent and had heavy traffic.

Every experience I had there was always disappointing until I swore never to return. I was not surprised to see it fold. The good news is a better

restaurant has replace it, a local homegrown chain Beauregards

http://www.eatbeauregards.com/

There is really no excuse for a restaurant like Bennigans to fail except for the reasons stated. I would like to see them return to Alabama sometime.

well if it's like the one in Huntsville it was probably due to poor service/food quality. The Huntsville location was excellent and had heavy traffic.

Every experience I had there was always disappointing until I swore never to return. I was not surprised to see it fold. The good news is a better

restaurant has replace it, a local homegrown chain Beauregards

http://www.eatbeauregards.com/

There is really no excuse for a restaurant like Bennigans to fail except for the reasons stated. I would like to see them return to Alabama sometime.

I used to live in Trussville and ate there twice. The reason it failed was because of both poor service and food quality. The second and last time I went there it took over an hour for me to have a room temperature burger brought out to me. Needless to say we never went back.

This is the only reason why I can think why it failed as the Milo's and Chick-fil-a in front of it are always packed...

I did not know where else to put this but here since it was about downtown and food.

http://www.fire-ice.com/

Fire + Ice Improvisational Grill is opening soon. I just wish that I knew a specific date because I am so ready to try this place.

I did not know where else to put this but here since it was about downtown and food.

Fire + Ice Improvisational Grill is opening soon. I just wish that I knew a specific date because I am so ready to try this place.

BTW... this place has been open a little while now and their food is great. They're not nearly as busy as Surin, but several of their dishes are better IMO and the service is great.