Fox News

monsoon

I noticed today that all of the major news cables outlets carried the live testimony of Pat Tillman's brother, Jessica Lynch and others in front of Congress about how the Army covered up what really happened to Tillman, and how they created a fake story about Lynch that had no basis in reality. Tillman's testimony was explosive as it sounds because the Army faked records, wrote a narrative that didn't happen, and it goes on and on. Tillman's family went on to say that the Army/Administration attempted to build up Tillman as a hero, in order to detract what was coming about the atrocities that happened at Abu Grabe Prison.

However Fox News opted instead to carry a story on shark bites in Florida while this was going on. LOL If this isn't a flagrant demonstration on their bias in reporting news, I don't know what is.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fox has been taken to task for blatant particianship for quite some time. Even CNN and MSNBC have their moments too. The other night, we watched a popular news show on MSNBC and I left the room within 10 minutes. A commentator was speaking about GWB's Iraq War supporters as though they were as numerous as people opposed to the war!!!! Such rubbish I haven't heard in a LONG time.

A recent Pew Research Center study has found that regular viewers of Fox News tend to be less knowledgeable on world affairs. Who is most knowledgeable? The viewers of the left-leaning Daily Show and Colbert Report. Lest you think this is a fluke or a biased survey, it nicely mirrors a similar study by the University of Maryland three years ago that found that Fox viewers were far more likely to be misinformed on three critical facts regarding the Iraq war: the lack of evidence of WMD stockpiles in Iraq, the lack of a Saddam Hussein/al Qaida connection, and the level of international support for the war. According to that study, the regular Fox audience was "three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three."

Of course there is bias in every news source. However, the audience of left-leaning sources can be consistently shown to be more knowledgeable than that of right-wing sources. The right has more reason to distort the truth, because the truth favors the left's position on most issues. Remember when the Bush administration sneeringly referred to the liberal media as "reality-based" as if that were a negative?

Yes, most people who watch Fox News take them seriously, and aren't even thinking about bias, just that news is being faithfully transmitted to their living rooms and dens like it always has. If they change the channel and notice different news being discussed then they will assume that networks are trying to avoid overlap. If they even bother to check other networks. Getting a grip on world events requires more than watching the news, and most people just ain't makin' the effort, or realize that they should.

I'm non-partisan independent and a self-describe progressive that tends to lean more left of center, and I've never taken Fox News seriously. They are a joke of a news organization because they seem to always generally choose soft news rather than hard news like more serious organizations. As we speak more and more of their network-owned local Fox affiliates like WBRC have taken a more Fox-like stantis towards news. That within itself has bothered me also because I would like my local news to remain bias as it has been for years before Fox/Newscorp purchased the station.

erdogs, that is too funny. The Keith Olderman Show was the one I was speaking of! I didn't mention it by name since it would be unfair for me to lambast someone without them having an opportunity to rebutt. But since you mentioned it....

It was a discussion about the American people's support of the Iraq war....and some bozo talked about it in terms of "the American people are split on this. Lots of people believe one way or the other." The last I heard, only a minority of Americans support the war.

The tone was so self-righteous and arrogant.....the show didn't seem overly liberal to me at all. Just goofy. No reason for me to watch a pop news show like that, when a quieter version of the news is available online.

A recent Pew Research Center study has found that regular viewers of Fox News tend to be less knowledgeable on world affairs. Who is most knowledgeable? The viewers of the left-leaning Daily Show and Colbert Report. Lest you think this is a fluke or a biased survey, it nicely mirrors a similar study by the University of Maryland three years ago that found that Fox viewers were far more likely to be misinformed on three critical facts regarding the Iraq war: the lack of evidence of WMD stockpiles in Iraq, the lack of a Saddam Hussein/al Qaida connection, and the level of international support for the war. According to that study, the regular Fox audience was "three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three."

Of course there is bias in every news source. However, the audience of left-leaning sources can be consistently shown to be more knowledgeable than that of right-wing sources. The right has more reason to distort the truth, because the truth favors the left's position on most issues. Remember when the Bush administration sneeringly referred to the liberal media as "reality-based" as if that were a negative?

The thing that surprised me is that Fox even thinks Westboro Baptist Church is a bunch of nuts. Fair and balanced... only when it's not a political story. I sometimes watch Fox News and if it's just ordinary news, they're fine. Throw Bush in it and they're bowing and worshipping. He could basically be caught slapping Laura and Fox'll justify it.

I laugh when I hear that American media tends to be leftist politically. Our corporate controlled (and by corporations who don't want to upset the government) media is pretty lame when it comes to focusing on real problems that matter. When Bush was war mongering to start the war in Iraq they were all right there with him in waving the American flag with him in our displays of chest beating when they should have been raising the red flag. The egg was on their face when it came out it was all a bunch of lies and they completely missed it. Only the foreign media and lesser known outlets in the USA challenged the president when he was calling for a war that we did not need to fight.

Our news these days tends to focus on triviality, gossip, nonsense and self promotion. They do almost nothing to educate the people on the facts and why an issue might be important. The one that seems to come the closest to that these days is CNN but even they often miss the mark. Fox however, reminds me of something that one might have seen in Soviet Russia when the communists controlled all the media. It's scary how one sided they are on their views and how they completely fail to inform their viewers on ANY relevant facts. Their choice to air a program about sharks instead of important testimony in Congress is a blatant example on how one sided they are on their news reporting. Let the people decide for themselves how to interpret that testimony but to cut it off, because it casts a bad light on the president and the military, is nothing but censorship to influence people politically.

Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's minister of propaganda, is alleged to have stated that if a lie is repeated enough times it would become widely accepted as truth. I am sure this lesson is not lost on the owner and operators of the Fox News network.

• 3 weeks later...

Rupert Murdoch announced that he is planning to take News Corps. carbon footpring from 641,150 tons to 0 by 2010. This would be through a variety of initiatives, with some having direct effects (like hybrid vehicle incentives and green products at the various media outlets) to indirect (such as investing in overseas wind farms).

Also, he plans on having Fox News as a "Go Green" mouthpiece to encourage viewers to be more environmentally friendly.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...ticleid=1000455

Regardless of his motives, I can't think of any other large multi-media corporation who has taken this aggressive of a stance (maybe the NYTimes?) on the environment.

Rupert Murdoch announced that he is planning to take News Corps. carbon footpring from 641,150 tons to 0 by 2010. This would be through a variety of initiatives, with some having direct effects (like hybrid vehicle incentives and green products at the various media outlets) to indirect (such as investing in overseas wind farms).

Also, he plans on having Fox News as a "Go Green" mouthpiece to encourage viewers to be more environmentally friendly.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...ticleid=1000455

Regardless of his motives, I can't think of any other large multi-media corporation who has taken this aggressive of a stance (maybe the NYTimes?) on the environment.

I prefer to get my news online where there are plenty of sources to draw from.

I like watching Fox News for the reporting. I've never really cared for pundit or interview shows on any channel (though I do watch Glenn Beck from time to time).

And I've never been a big fan of O'Reilly. It's not that I don't usually agree with what he says, it's just the show is too one sided and he seems to have a bit of an ego problem.

I prefer to get my news online where there are plenty of sources to draw from.

I like watching Fox News for the reporting. I've never really cared for pundit or interview shows on any channel (though I do watch Glenn Beck from time to time).

And I've never been a big fan of O'Reilly. It's not that I don't usually agree with what he says, it's just the show is too one sided and he seems to have a bit of an ego problem.

Liberal-leaners have NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, and most of the newspapers in America...if bias is right for these stations and companies, than bias should be right for Fox or anybody else.

I noted a parade of pro-Falwell folks on Fox News yesterday......all of them speaking about how kind and loving Falwell was, how he was affectionate and hugged people, how he cared deeply for people. Were they speaking of the same man I knew of for 27 years?

What about adding a little balance and inverview the families of all the people who committed suicide after being brainwashed by Falwell's destructive message?

Interview people who's lives were ruined by the very homophobia that Jerry Falwell preached and encouraged...

When I saw all that pro-Falwell stuff on Fox I just couldn't believe it.

I noted a parade of pro-Falwell folks on Fox News yesterday......all of them speaking about how kind and loving Falwell was, how he was affectionate and hugged people, how he cared deeply for people. Were they speaking of the same man I knew of for 27 years?

What about adding a little balance and inverview the families of all the people who committed suicide after being brainwashed by Falwell's destructive message?

Interview people who's lives were ruined by the very homophobia that Jerry Falwell preached and encouraged...

When I saw all that pro-Falwell stuff on Fox I just couldn't believe it.

Archived