Top 10 U.S. architects?

I need some help from our architecture experts here at the Urban Planet. I'm trying to compile a list of the top 10 living and active U.S. architects experienced in mega-projects on epic scale.

Who do you guys feel are the top living and active U.S. architects? Why?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I need some help from our architecture experts here at the Urban Planet. I'm trying to compile a list of the top 10 living and active U.S. architects experienced in mega-projects on epic scale.

Who do you guys feel are the top living and active U.S. architects? Why?

First the ones I like: I.M. Pei, Daniel Libeskind, Frank Gehry, Brad Cloepfil, Thom Mayne, Cesar Pelli, and Richard Meyer. They are all embrace creativity and allow progressive elements to flow in their projects. They understand that architecture, like any other art form, must evolve and change with new ideas and technology. Other big names in the USA are people like David Childs (ugh! Freedom Tower is unimaginative and boring), Robert A.M. Stern (double ugh!! has an ego that won't fit in the entire state of CT), and Michael Graves (gotta love Target). Maybe it would be a better question to ask as to what are the 10 best architectural firms in the USA. More often than not, the best (modern) architecture comes out of Europe. We still like to tie the hands of the talented men and women here in the USA--we call it "value engineering". I call it "dumbing down".

• 1 year later...
First the ones I like: I.M. Pei, Daniel Libeskind, Frank Gehry, Brad Cloepfil, Thom Mayne, Cesar Pelli, and Richard Meyer. They are all embrace creativity and allow progressive elements to flow in their projects. They understand that architecture, like any other art form, must evolve and change with new ideas and technology. Other big names in the USA are people like David Childs (ugh! Freedom Tower is unimaginative and boring), Robert A.M. Stern (double ugh!! has an ego that won't fit in the entire state of CT), and Michael Graves (gotta love Target). Maybe it would be a better question to ask as to what are the 10 best architectural firms in the USA. More often than not, the best (modern) architecture comes out of Europe. We still like to tie the hands of the talented men and women here in the USA--we call it "value engineering". I call it "dumbing down".

Archived