Eastown vacancies

suydam

So every day on my commute I drive through Eastown and for weeks I've been wondering what's planned (if anything yet) for the threesome of vacant storefronts on Lake Dr. adjacent to Eastown Antiques.

These used to house Green Heiress, Terra Stella and Shipwreck Music.

Does anyone know if there's any interest in those shops? Along with the perpetually empty Wealthy St. Grille it's actually a little depressing to coast through that stretch these days.

Just wondering/hoping something cool is coming soon. I love Eastown and walk there regularly for Indian food and Krautdogs. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is is heartbreaking to walk past those storefronts. Not long ago I purchased much of my wardrobe at Kali's Cotton Boutique, (where the now-defunct Green Heiress is.) That was a happening place! Always busy. I was pissed that the owner voluntarily closed up the business, event though it was doing well. Dunderhead!

Then came the shoestore in that location, with most of their stock Made in China vinyl junk. No thanks! After that, a chronically understocked natural food store, with a well-meaning but inarticulate staff. I was happy to see Green Heiress locate there, but apparently there's only room in this town for one hemp palace.

The former Shipwreck Music used to be the even-more-former Eastown Cellular. In my righteous buy-local mode, I chose to buy my business cell phone there, unaware that it was staffed by idiots.

I was truly surprised to see Terra Stella fold up. They seemed to have a loyal following. Again, maybe there's only room for one crystals-n-incense palace on the strip.

I wonder if any of those businesses had a formal, written business plan? Had any of them done market research, to indicate a need for their stores? I wonder the same thing about The Silver Cactus on Carlton, an insane place for a Mexican restaurant. Was any market research done?

Zenstyle, asking the rhetoricals

I wonder if any of those businesses had a formal, written business plan? Had any of them done market research, to indicate a need for their stores? I wonder the same thing about The Silver Cactus on Carlton, an insane place for a Mexican restaurant. Was any market research done?

Is is heartbreaking to walk past those storefronts. Not long ago I purchased much of my wardrobe at Kali's Cotton Boutique, (where the now-defunct Green Heiress is.) That was a happening place! Always busy. I was pissed that the owner voluntarily closed up the business, event though it was doing well. Dunderhead!

Then came the shoestore in that location, with most of their stock Made in China vinyl junk. No thanks! After that, a chronically understocked natural food store, with a well-meaning but inarticulate staff. I was happy to see Green Heiress locate there, but apparently there's only room in this town for one hemp palace.

The former Shipwreck Music used to be the even-more-former Eastown Cellular. In my righteous buy-local mode, I chose to buy my business cell phone there, unaware that it was staffed by idiots.

I was truly surprised to see Terra Stella fold up. They seemed to have a loyal following. Again, maybe there's only room for one crystals-n-incense palace on the strip.

Zenstyle, asking the rhetoricals

I was thinking about a bike shop the other day...but a bike RENTAL shop. I think there's a new trail going right down Wealthy if I'm not mistaken. They could rent Vespas/mopeds as well.

...just putting it out there

A number of things could do very well there. That area gets pretty heavy ped traffic, and is in a great community with residents who are loyal to their Eastown businesses.

I was thinking about a bike shop the other day...but a bike RENTAL shop. I think there's a new trail going right down Wealthy if I'm not mistaken. They could rent Vespas/mopeds as well.

...just putting it out there

A number of things could do very well there. That area gets pretty heavy ped traffic, and is in a great community with residents who are loyal to their Eastown businesses.

• 2 months later...

New Yorker Menswear is finishing their expansion into the former Wealthy St. Grill. GR Press Article

Furthermore, the former Terra Stella (or one of it's neighbors) is to become a Yoga/Massage studio. I think the rest of those storefronts are still vacant, but these two additions may just breathe life back into that building.

Also, what is going on in that building on Lake Dr. that used to have that huge mural (south side of street, across from Spirit Dreams)? They did a bunch of work a few months back, but there is still a bunch of painter's tape in the windows despite seeing people in there appearing to work. Oh...and what happened to the Stucci's that was supposed to come in? I've been waiting for ice cream all summer, but neither Stucci's or the parlor at the Cherry Market have materialized.

Also, what is going on in that building on Lake Dr. that used to have that huge mural (south side of street, across from Spirit Dreams)? They did a bunch of work a few months back, but there is still a bunch of painter's tape in the windows despite seeing people in there appearing to work. Oh...and what happened to the Stucci's that was supposed to come in? I've been waiting for ice cream all summer, but neither Stucci's or the parlor at the Cherry Market have materialized.

The Stucchi's Web site says "Grand Rapids - coming soon."' Maybe they're re-thinking location?! Weren't they originally slated for the back end of the building Wolfgang's is in? (I can never rememeber the name of that building.) They should be looking at Eastown AND Downtown!!!

*fish

Oh...and what happened to the Stucci's that was supposed to come in? I've been waiting for ice cream all summer, but neither Stucci's or the parlor at the Cherry Market have materialized.

Although the New Yorker Men's Wear is taking over the old Wealthy Grill location and filling an otherwise empty spot, I can't help but thinking that it is the wrong business for such a high profile location. We will now be greeted with the welcoming sight of metal theft-guard bars on the display windows and no attempt (other than paint) to integrate the two buildings design-wise. I have a Chertoff-like "gut-feeling" that this is the beginning of the end of Eastown as we used to know it.

Although the New Yorker Men's Wear is taking over the old Wealthy Grill location and filling an otherwise empty spot, I can't help but thinking that it is the wrong business for such a high profile location. We will now be greeted with the welcoming sight of metal theft-guard bars on the display windows and no attempt (other than paint) to integrate the two buildings design-wise. I have a Chertoff-like "gut-feeling" that this is the beginning of the end of Eastown as we used to know it.

I've been to Freewheeler a couple times and it's been a good experience. Usually it's just a broken spoke or something. For my more major repairs I have a guy...who is now the service manager at Ada Bike Shop. He used to work out of his garage. I agree that every neighborhood should have a bike shop. I think in the future when gas is prohibitively expensive we will.

For years I wanted to find a way to put an old style diner into that corner building that the New Yorker just expanded to. Revamp the place to have a V shaped bar that fit the buildings lines. with booths along the windows, open late serving greasy spoon style food. Cheap blue plate specials and other great late night snacks, and never ending cups of coffee. Open 24 hours if possible. But never got off my butt to do it. I still feel that a late night food venue of some sort would do well in the area. The only thing open real late there is Yesterdog. Morningstar is open late but provides no food and way to much smoke. A diner with room for college kids doing homwork would do well there I feel. Just throwing that out there.

For years I wanted to find a way to put an old style diner into that corner building that the New Yorker just expanded to. Revamp the place to have a V shaped bar that fit the buildings lines. with booths along the windows, open late serving greasy spoon style food. Cheap blue plate specials and other great late night snacks, and never ending cups of coffee. Open 24 hours if possible. But never got off my butt to do it. I still feel that a late night food venue of some sort would do well in the area. The only thing open real late there is Yesterdog. Morningstar is open late but provides no food and way to much smoke. A diner with room for college kids doing homwork would do well there I feel. Just throwing that out there.

There is a true diner out where 28th meets Cascade. It's called "Pals." And the Grand Coney on Michigan is great for in-town, late-night greasy food! Love it. But, yes, I too would like to see a lot more options in Eastown.

I've always wanted to open an ice cream shop...

Looks like a yoga studio/Thai massage center will be opening soon in the former home of the shortlived Shipwreck Music.

At least that's something. But how a yoga studio/Thai massage center will have a better chance of making a go of it in Eastown than a record shop ever had (R.I.P. Eastunes) I'll never understand.

I think the problem with Eastown isn't the holes left by the departures of Wealthy Street Grill, Terra Stella and Green Heiress (or Shoe In and Healthy Path before them -- and any number of former neighborhood "fixtures" before them). The problem remains the departure of the Intersection.

A concert venue of that size drew people to the neighborhood for shows several nights every week for years. That's the space in Eastown that needs filling. Everything else will take care of itself if a live music club resurrects the 1520 Wealthy St. SE address.

You know, I was just watching a show on the Food Network last night that showcased various Diners across the country and began wishing that one would eventually open in GR someday.

A classic DT diner, open 24/7 would make a killing. Breakfast crowd, lunch crowed, evening college kids, and nighthawks. I doubt the place would ever be empty.

I know I would be there several times a week.

Archived