Commercial Street Redevelopment

KOLR 10 video:

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/media_player.php?media_id=7321

Story:

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=6774

commercialstreet2007-04-23-1177377152.jpg

Storefronts on Commercial Street will take the spotlight next week for the First Friday Art Walk. Merchants and residents hope the Walk, along with a farmer's market and music festival will attract new attention to the old neighborhood.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I merged the two topics becuase they were of the same.

I am so glad the city is doing this. As bad as it may seem to blight the area, it is the only way to get developers in there to clean up the area and really make it what it once was... a thriving street with shops, hotels, restaurants, etc...

I don't know if any of you guys read the article in the sbj about the Amtrack Service not being feasable, well... I would think that Commercial street would be a perfect location for this! It would drive business from all of the traffic from the train and would help Commercial street strive tremendously! Why haven't they thought of this? Is there something wrong with them?

Plus the train tracts are already in place as well as an old train station! :(

I merged the two topics becuase they were of the same.

I am so glad the city is doing this. As bad as it may seem to blight the area, it is the only way to get developers in there to clean up the area and really make it what it once was... a thriving street with shops, hotels, restaurants, etc...

I don't know if any of you guys read the article in the sbj about the Amtrack Service not being feasable, well... I would think that Commercial street would be a perfect location for this! It would drive business from all of the traffic from the train and would help Commercial street strive tremendously! Why haven't they thought of this? Is there something wrong with them?

Plus the train tracts are already in place as well as an old train station! :(

Yeah with the price of gas, trains may become more used. My dad and sister went from St. Louis to Rochester for $180 for the both of them. That is almost 1000 miles. And it only took them about 3 hours longer than driving, and they didnt have to drive. If we had some bullet trains between major cities with other trains as feeders, I would use trains before driving.

• 2 months later...

Folks, Springfield Officials are really considering to blight the area which have lack of value Commerical Street.

Revitalizing Commercial Street would create jobs, increase tax revenue and improve safety, supporters say.

The way they want to do it could also divert tax dollars earmarked for public schools, parks and libraries for the next 23 years. City officials recommend forming a tax increment financing district for a 10-block section of the historic street, where many buildings are more than a century old. A once-bustling hub, the strip became home to many of the city's homeless in recent decades.

Archived