Take a train from London to NYC!

MadVlad

A proposed tunnel under the Bering Strait between Alaska and Russia, at the cost of $65 Billion, would give people the option of traveling from London all the way to New York, or Washington, or wherever without ever leaving land. Ypu better hope you get your own sleeper car.....

CNN reports

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea - it pops up in some fashion from time to time. Not a likely proposition any time soon - both politics, infrastructure issues and environmental issues would need to be tackled, in long-term ways before such a thing could be seriously considered. But the possibilities are intriguing to think about.

Not nearly so visionary, but still vast: there's a book out in paperback called A Fortune-Teller Told Me, a travel chronicle written by an Italian journalist living in Bangkok, in the early 1990s, who decided to travel by train from Bangkok to London. A very long, very interesting, and - at times - very difficult trip.

While its being built it will, which will make it very difficult to built. Especially when there are 30 ft waves pounding the barge that is sinking the tubes for the tunnel and then ice accumualtes on the deck of that boat causing it to sink. The Strait is very treacherous.

Lol, i was thinking of a different technique for making underwater tunnels, where the tubes are actually resting on the bottom. I dont know of they do that in the ocean though, ive only seen it in rivers.

They wold probobly use a TBM to make a tunnel in the rock below.

Archived