Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadVlad

Take a train from London to NYC!

17 posts in this topic

A proposed tunnel under the Bering Strait between Alaska and Russia, at the cost of $65 Billion, would give people the option of traveling from London all the way to New York, or Washington, or wherever without ever leaving land. Ypu better hope you get your own sleeper car.....

CNN reports

With environmental concerns and a huge price tag, I doubt this ever gets serious consideration.

Theyve also proposed a bridge for the Bering Strait. Witht the extreme weather and the lack of people that live there, this would take years to build. Probably wont ever happen, not in this lifetime anyway.

You know, as inconvenient of a location as it is, I think I'll just fly.

Interesting idea - it pops up in some fashion from time to time. Not a likely proposition any time soon - both politics, infrastructure issues and environmental issues would need to be tackled, in long-term ways before such a thing could be seriously considered. But the possibilities are intriguing to think about.

Not nearly so visionary, but still vast: there's a book out in paperback called A Fortune-Teller Told Me, a travel chronicle written by an Italian journalist living in Bangkok, in the early 1990s, who decided to travel by train from Bangkok to London. A very long, very interesting, and - at times - very difficult trip.

Theyve also proposed a bridge for the Bering Strait. Witht the extreme weather and the lack of people that live there, this would take years to build. Probably wont ever happen, not in this lifetime anyway.

You know, as inconvenient of a location as it is, I think I'll just fly.

Popular Mechanics had an artists interpretation of a brdge over the Bering straight back in the early 80s, so that idea has been around for a while. I'd really be surprised if either idea got off the ground, but I'd bet on the bridge before the tunnel.

Of course a tunnel won't be bothered by weather issues.

While its being built it will, which will make it very difficult to built. Especially when there are 30 ft waves pounding the barge that is sinking the tubes for the tunnel and then ice accumualtes on the deck of that boat causing it to sink. The Strait is very treacherous.

Lol, i was thinking of a different technique for making underwater tunnels, where the tubes are actually resting on the bottom. I dont know of they do that in the ocean though, ive only seen it in rivers.

They wold probobly use a TBM to make a tunnel in the rock below.

The chunnel and seikan tunnel were built by boring through the rock and soil.

The chunnel and seikan tunnel were built by boring through the rock and soil.

60 mph is not my idea of fast.

I hate projects like these. Lets invest in something better like an elevator to the moon. :w00t: