Gateway Tower

vdogg

Unfortunately, it seems that the tower on the Beacon lot will be a "twin" of the AH tower. I really hope they scrap that and go for a new design. This rendering appears to be for the tower on block 11, and not connected to the one by the Beacon.

Phase IV set to begin

Also as a result of the successful leasing of office space in The Town Center of Virginia Beach, plans have been advanced for the next tower building on the site of the Virginian-Pilot newspaper

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, it seems that the tower on the Beacon lot will be a "twin" of the AH tower. I really hope they scrap that and go for a new design. This rendering appears to be for the tower on block 11, and not connected to the one by the Beacon.

Just in looking at the aerial pictures in the Pilot article, a "twin' tower can't fit on that lot... Anyone else agree?

Not with a parking garage as large. If they do make it a twin though I hope they at least scrap that ridiculous spire. They have the potential to do something really dramatic with that lot. Twins are cliche, we don't need one. Go for different. :)

Besides, they could be referring to a fraternal twin. :shades:

AH Tower is 24 storeys and this one a bit smaller at 20.

Yeah, but I don't think the rendering you posted is for the Beacon lot (aka tower two) so I prob need to rename this thread (though I don't know what too). This is the building to be built after tower two (as per the email you posted in the town center thread). There is another rendering floating out there somewhere. We need to find it so I can put that in this thread and perhaps move the rest of the stuff to a new thread dedicated to the tower on block 11.

Overall, for CMSS, I like it. I like the fact that it is more glassy. That just seems like what VB should have as a downtown, a very glassy look.

Good to hear that there will be two new towers going up, which would give VB Downtown how many towers?? Anyone wish to do the math?

As for a twin tower, I think that is a stupid idea seeing the first building looks like crap. No need to duplicate that....well unless you are CMSS and don't have many good ideas, so you kind of have to take what you can get. I am guessing the overall tower will look similar to the original tower because from the beginning they wanted that twin tower feel like what Reston has. I am guessing it will have a smaller garage do to the footprint....if it has a garage. They could simply design it to look like the AH tower minus the garage, thus would make it slightly shorter, but give it more office space. So who knows, they have plenty of options.

I am just happy seeing my hometown is finally growing up. Can't wait to visit someday.

Good to hear that there will be two new towers going up, which would give VB Downtown how many towers?? Anyone wish to do the math?

4 not counting City Walk. Adding City Walk will bring it to 7. In my count I'm strictly sticking with buildings over 20 floors.

Did anyone else notice the crappy crop job on the Westin Tower in this article? My bet is that a CMSS architect did it :rofl:

Phase IV set to begin

The AH tower is unique and iconic, but it looks like one building trying to be five. It reminds me of "New York New York" in Las Vegas. When buildings get additions and fill-ins over time, it seems natural. This attempt at mimicking urban character falls a bit flat, like a cheap stage front. AH is the real "cheesecake factory" in Town Center to me, but I like it anyway. The worst part for me is the garage fronting Virginia Beach Boulevard. It's lifeless and brutal, except for the bottom level. I remember that it had hanging banners in an early rendering. That and some dramatic lighting could help it.

• 2 months later...

Divaris Real Estate Inc., a partner with Armada Hoffler in Town Center's development and marketing, has announced plans for a 20-story tower on the Beacon site. The building would house office and retail space and a parking garage, according to Divaris.

Once the Development Authority controls the Beacon building, the only Town Center property not owned by Armada Hoffler or the city would be the Taco Bell at Independence and Virginia Beach boulevards.

Taco Bell better watch its back. :lol: Good to see this whole thing moving forward. It looks like we're right on track to have this tower start construction next year. Hampton Roads is going to have an awful lot of highrises underway next year. :)

Have they really officially announced it though? I don't consider it official until I see a rendering, and last checked, the only new renderings were for the two on Constitution.

Taco Bell better watch its back. :lol: Good to see this whole thing moving forward. It looks like we're right on track to have this tower start construction next year. Hampton Roads is going to have an awful lot of highrises underway next year. :)

Yeah, and most of them seem to be in Virginia Beach :) Let's just hope City Walk... Sorry, "The Landing" gets going some time soon!

Have they really officially announced it though? I don't consider it official until I see a rendering, and last checked, the only new renderings were for the two on Constitution.

Yeah, and most of them seem to be in Virginia Beach :) Let's just hope City Walk... Sorry, "The Landing" gets going some time soon!

Believe it or not they actually officially announced it well over a year ago. They were supposed to start construction at the end of 06 but delayed it a year due to rising construction costs.

Believe it or not they actually officially announced it well over a year ago. They were supposed to start construction at the end of 06 but delayed it a year due to rising construction costs.

Well I guess that decision is biting them in the but now! Prices are still up!

Well I guess that decision is biting them in the but now! Prices are still up!

Yeah, I didn't understand that either but that's the reason they gave. I think I actually read somewhere that construction prices have contracted slightly since the housing market has slowed. Perhaps it is a bit more economical now but I don't know that for sure.

Yeah, I didn't understand that either but that's the reason they gave. I think I actually read somewhere that construction prices have contracted slightly since the housing market has slowed. Perhaps it is a bit more economical now but I don't know that for sure.

The truth is that there is more to it than just rising construction costs. What we have seen is an increase in construction that wasn't being met with increases in rent, or atleast not at the same level. So if your cost rises by 10 million but your income only raises by 3 million you are looking at a 7 million dollar hit. What I beleive has made it a more appealing time to construct the new tower is 1) very low vacancy rates in TC 2) ability to charge top dollar for office rents in a new tower.

Developer to acquire Pilot building

Dwarfed by steel and concrete towers rising high above Virginia Beach Boulevard, The Virginian-Pilot's brick box of a building at Town Center no longer fits in with its fancy new neighborhood.

The city has finally solved that problem, but the answer ain't cheap.

According to figures made public for the first time Monday, Town Center developer Armada Hoffler has agreed to buy The Pilot's 1.3-acre property for $4.375 million. The site, known as the Beacon building, is assessed at $2.4 million.

The city council will meet tonight and vote on altering the phase 3 documents to add the plans for the Beacon lot "block 2". Hopefully we'll get a lot more info on the scope of this project tonight or tommorrow.

The city council will meet tonight and vote on altering the phase 3 documents to add the plans for the Beacon lot "block 2". Hopefully we'll get a lot more info on the scope of this project tonight or tommorrow.

Somebody needs to be watching the council meeting online at 6 tonight. This item was gonna be placed on the consent agenda but Mr. Spore requested that the item be pulled and put on the regular agenda because Mr. Haddad wants to come before council and " make an announcement " :D I have to go to class so I can't watch it and I don't have any confidence that the pilot will have this announcement up immediately though they may have it tommorrow. One of the council members even joked "What's the announcement, a 60-story Taco Bell?" :lol:

link

Archived