Gateway Tower

vdogg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pilot on the creation of a sign and a crawling news ticker - similar to the one at Times Square in New York City - at the corner of Columbus Street and Independence Boulevard.

I also like this. Very cool idea and I hope it pans out. Lets just hope that there aren't any fender benders at the corner of Independence and Columbus from people trying to read the news. :rolleyes:

Even better...the pic

:wub: Looks like CMSS is finally turning a corner.

Are we sure that CMSS is the architect? The only description on the rendering says "Artist's Rendition"

Oh lord, here we go:

As out of place as it is... (hide comment)

I hope the Taco Bell remains. It is the one remaining sense of normalcy in the entire Town Center. The entire area is being built up to resemble NYC...do we really need that here?

- r b - norfolk

^^^Nimbys unite! Lets save Taco Bell, it's historical and an architectural icon.

Are we sure that CMSS is the architect? The only description on the rendering says "Artist's Rendition"

Oh lord, here we go:

As out of place as it is... (hide comment)

I hope the Taco Bell remains. It is the one remaining sense of normalcy in the entire Town Center. The entire area is being built up to resemble NYC...do we really need that here?

- r b - norfolk

^^^Nimbys unite! Lets save Taco Bell, it's historical and an architectural icon.

Oh come on, have these idiots ever been to NYC? Lord knows HR is in short supply of Taco Bells. :rolleyes:

I really like this building, even if it is the typical 20 something we always get. If there is so much demand for office space to build two buildings, why couldn't they build a twin to the Westin instead of AH?

I stand corrected Spiker. This is CMSS. They had it listed on the photo in the regular newspaper. This is by far the best structure they've put forth since the City View design. Congrats to them, they're definitely stepping it up a notch. :thumbsup:

There are really some negative comments on Pilotonline. Why all the attacks?

You know, I've tried to understand it and I just don't get it. Some are from other cities and just hate the fact that Va. Beach is building it's own downtown.

VB aint Norfolk (hide comment)

Virginia Beach can keep throwing money down the drain at Town Center, but it's still an oversized suburb of Norfolk. Norfolk and Portsmouth at least have "real" downtowns.

- David D. - Norfolk

Most of it though is just plain old local ignorance from people who actually view the pilot and taco bell as icons. :rolleyes:

Save the Taco Bell and VA Pilot building (hide comment)

Those two buildings are in a sense, landmarks I grew up with. It would be a shame to see them go. And now, a response to Heredotus J: sort of ironic that you use an anonymous name, yet you complain about seeing the same anonymous posters here. I am one of those, as well as one of the least constructive citizens in Va Beach. My IQ level is so low, that I am not sure what you mean by "least constructive". I don't work in construction, and I don't hate everything you mention in your post. We all have the right to our opinions, and the right to be anonymous if we so choose; that does not mean we are some of the least constructive or have low IQ's. Duh! And look, I used my full name!

- John Pycior - Virginia Beach

I do agree with one comment though which pretty much states that there is a silent majority that never posts on that board. It makes sense to me, TC wouldn't be the success that it is if truly a "majority" of people in Va. Beach felt the way that these yahoos do.

Half the people complaining live in other cities in this area. These are people that would complain about hitting the lottery. They just need something to complain about all the time and have absolutely no logic in their complaints.

Hahaha, I think you're absolutely right. If they hit the lottery, then they should share the wealth :D

yeah I am curious who the architect is for this building. If it is CMSS, I am curious if they have hired some better designers for a change.

The layout for the block looks pretty good, it breaks away from traditional urban building because of that weird little courtyard area, but it helps create a unique sense of place for that area that it needs. The design of the tower looks very sleek and will be a great addition to the skyline. 20 something towers are good to have and the more VB has in its downtown, the more it will have an urban feeling and it will make the Westin stand out even more. Don't count on any buildings there to surpass it for a while. Getting the Westin to be that tall in the first place was a luck shot for the city of being at the right place at the right time.

Cant wait for this and the other tower to be under construction. With those two additions, VB will really have a good skyline and start to really have an urban feel to the area.

It may be the final floor count, but probably isn't the final rendering. This thing will likely change significantly over the next year but I really hope they don't get away from the sleek and modern style they've chosen. I'm content if they simply leave this one as is.

Archived