Gateway Tower

vdogg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like it too..colors, massing, details. It will be interesting to see how they develop that stepped brick effect as it merges across the four main faces of the tower.

I dont think it's brick, i think it's going to be colored precast concrete. If it's brick though, that would be great.

I dont think it's brick, i think it's going to be colored precast concrete. If it's brick though, that would be great.

I think it's the same style material as on Columbus Center, which would look great IMO. It just has that shiny look to it, and brick wouldn't do that.

It's basically like they used the Columbus Center for the bottom portion, and AH Tower for the top portion as far as coloring goes.

I really like this building, even if it is the typical 20 something we always get. If there is so much demand for office space to build two buildings, why couldn't they build a twin to the Westin instead of AH?

This is one case where I'd rather it be 2 smaller towers than 1 large one. I want to see the land in TC to be built out in the manner that a true downtown would. We have a whole sea of parking lots on which to put a tall tower, but that won't happen until some more of the availiable land in Pembroke is built out and demand dictates. We prob won't see anything taller than the Westin for quite some time, but i'm ok with that. I honestly didn't see us breaking 500ft for another 20 years or so.

I am happy with this ubilding over all. I only hope the back side facing VB Blvd looks as good. I wish they would have built more office space though before working on the Westin, but then again if they had, Westin wouldn't be happening now.

I am happy with this ubilding over all. I only hope the back side facing VB Blvd looks as good. I wish they would have built more office space though before working on the Westin, but then again if they had, Westin wouldn't be happening now.

You bring up a good point. Didn't they say this building would "front" Virginia beach blvd? I think what we have here is a Trader Tower style garage, which is so well hidden that if you hadn't seen the building constructed you wouldn't know it was there. If that is what they're doing I think it's excellent. The less visible the garage the better. I think this is the only way they can do it if this tower is to truly dominate Va. Beach Blvd like Mr. Haddad says it will.

• 5 months later...

Just an update. An architectural contract was awarded in September for construction of the Beacon space in the Westin. I'm currently working on seeing who this contract was awarded too. Regardless, the construction of that space should either be underway or will get underway very shortly. This is good because it indicates that the Beacon offices may be ready prior to mid-summer, therefore pushing up the ground breaking for Tower Two.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i'm new here. current student at VT. there was a new rendering in the third issue of inform magazine form 2007. i was at the library so i couldn't scan. This rendering shows street level detail from the corner of va beach boulevard and market street

full:

7yqxkc5.jpg

Street Level:

6txg2vt.jpg

Tower:

7yi6fwx.jpg

I can't wait for this to be built. at least this has respectable architecture.

The rendering makes it look like like the building will take up both the beacon & taco bell properties to me...has there been a change in the taco bell mentality or is this rendering just a marketing special? To me it looks more like it's from the corner of Independence & VB not market?

No change. I can tell from the first rendering that it's at the corner of VB and market. If you actually walk the Beacon lot it is quite large. The beacon bldg itself only takes up a small portion of the lot. It can definitely fit this structure. Also, from the rendering, it looks like the office floors will have fairly tall ceilings. Still probably a 20-something story building, but it'll have a decent height.

I agree, it does look a lot better than what we currently have; though I must say it could still be a lot better. AH should bring in a world renown designer for the building behind the Cosmo. Have they released any rendering for the six story building between Westin and Cosmo yet or set any final dates to begin on either? Whats going on with the pedestrian bridge between TC and the Mall? And has anyone else noticed that the bank has almost stopped being worked on?

I agree, it does look a lot better than what we currently have; though I must say it could still be a lot better. AH should bring in a world renown designer for the building behind the Cosmo. Have they released any rendering for the six story building between Westin and Cosmo yet or set any final dates to begin on either? Whats going on with the pedestrian bridge between TC and the Mall? And has anyone else noticed that the bank has almost stopped being worked on?

I think the ground level looks amazing. If it looks like this in real life, I think it is a great addition to the area, and the best of our highrise buildings. I also wish this were being built on vb blvd and ind instead of where it is. it would be an excellent building to dominate that corner area. I hope when the Taco Bell goes, they have something similar to this built there.

They have been trying to get C&B here for awhile now. I think it would be great if they did come but somehow I won't hold my breath. Speaking of Tower Two I will be glad when it is built. The Westin, as tall as it is, just looks plain lonely standing there all 'alone'.

If they managed to sign C&B that would be a huge coup for TC. Keep in mind the article last week about retail in TC not having the same success as restaurants have had. C&B could finally generate some retail traffic in addition to the restaurant traffic. But let's not put the cart before the horse. The rendering however is gorgeous.

Archived